• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NFL domestic violence issue

Started by wh, September 19, 2014, 09:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

A few thoughts after listening to the Goodell press conference:

--- The owners and players' union are as much at fault for the failure to establish proper accountability standards for domestic abuse as is Goodell, yet they remained silent while Goodell accepted all the blame and took all the heat. I'm not that surprised.  Today's society is woefully short on people of true character.  Why should the NFL be any different.

--- I find it amusing that sports talking heads and reporters feel they're qualified to tell the world how Goodell should have handled this situation, what they would have done if they were in charge, and of course being careful to follow the PC script.  Most of these people have never managed anything more complicated than a household budget nor supervised anyone other than their kids, yet they're all experts when it comes to this very complicated issue. Even funnier is how these sports people, who maybe took Psy 101, are experts about domestic violence.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on September 19, 2014, 09:56:44 PM
A few thoughts after listening to the Goodell press conference:

--- The owners and players' union are as much at fault for the failure to establish proper accountability standards for domestic abuse as is Goodell, yet they remained silent while Goodell accepted all the blame and took all the heat. I'm not that surprised.  Today's society is woefully short on people of true character.  Why should the NFL be any different.

--- I find it amusing that sports talking heads and reporters feel they're qualified to tell the world how Goodell should have handled this situation, what they would have done if they were in charge, and of course being careful to follow the PC script.  Most of these people have never managed anything more complicated than a household budget nor supervised anyone other than their kids, yet they're all experts when it comes to this very complicated issue. Even funnier is how these sports people, who maybe took Psy 101, are experts about domestic violence.

WH, on your first point, I totally agree.  You know that the NFLPA is not going to cooperate in finding the correct approach, because it would put it's players at risk from a union standpoint, and anything they can do to undermine ownership works in their favor.  Any NFL policy changes will have to get past the union and true reform will not be tolerated by the union.

On the second point I agree to an extent.  I would add that all of us are in the same boat.  We all have our opinions, and I'd guess most of us would be saying roughly the same things as the talking heads.  It's a royal screw-up in how it's being handled and what is actually being done no matter how you look at it. But I am surprised that, at the news conference,  Goodell did not come out forcefully with a plan that specified an 'X' step plan that put heavy pressure on both his owners as well as the NFLPA to really do it right.  He and his brain trust had close to 2 weeks to come up with something better than what he showed.

BTW, I put a separate post in General about UWM TKE's date rape drug investigation that occurred in the middle of this whole fiasco. This is in the same vane as what has been happening in the NFL.  Colleges are also attempting to tip-toe around the issue of sexual assault  and the devaluation of women.  It will be interesting to see how that is handled.

And then we have Jameis Winston at Florida State.  A dirt bag who happens to play football really well.  The FSU president and AD changed his suspension to a full game (despite a rap sheet that would have less gifted athletes on the streets by now) because of "further investigation. " Yeah, right.  They got pounded in the press for a slap on the wrist, and they did some major backstroking.  That was a joke that replicated the NFL's handling of Rice (granted not in terms of the offense) -- do the least possible and then cave in when the public gets sickened.

valpo64

Shades of the Bobby Bowden era...trash people whose actions are tolerated for the sake of the football program.  Just another reason to say let these big schools go their own way so their actions don't taint the mid-majors and small college programs.  It seems like every week another one of these high-powered programs steps in their own doo doo. Ohio State, USC and on and on...let them all sleep in their own beds with soiled bedding.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo64 on September 21, 2014, 03:21:16 PMsteps in their own doo doo. ...let them all sleep in their own beds with soiled bedding.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on September 21, 2014, 03:21:16 PMlet them all sleep in their own beds with soiled bedding.

DOUBLE EWWWWW!

valpo64

wow!  At first I thought that looked like someone we know, then I saw the baby's face and.........................

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on September 22, 2014, 01:42:00 PM
wow! At first I thought that looked like someone we know, then I saw the baby's face and.........................

You mean that St. Joe's player with his pant down??   :-[
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015