• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Anybody know who the guy is in my avatar pic?

Started by bbtds, October 25, 2014, 08:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Anybody know who the guy is in my avatar pic?

a3uge

According to Wikipedia, he was apparently was best buds with the guy that started the business where I'm currently working. Small world.

bbtds

Carl Fisher
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_G._Fisher

Created US 30/Lincoln Highway

Part owner of Indy Motor Speedway as testing ground.

Invented headlights

Helped build and develop Miami Beach.

Helped develop Florida Keys.

Born in Greensburg, IN.

Died of average wealth after being a very rich man due to stock market crash in 1929.

Helped build the Dixie Highway into Florida.

Marian University just northwest of IUPUI is where his glorious mansion set in Indy. It was first Park School before Marian, which eventually became Park-Tudor School and moved out north of Butler and Broad Ripple.

There aren't many on this board whose lives Carl Fisher did not touch in a huge way but up till about 1998 many people considered him a failure because he lost so much wealth. But not exactly Mike Tyson or a lottery winner either.

He was a fairly successful alcoholic, suffered from astigmatism, who had little wealth at the time of his death which seemed appropriate for a guy who started building bicycles in rural Indiana. Things he dreamed of for the most part were realized and he influenced the lives of almost every American during Fisher's lifetime and afterwards. I can show you exactly where he is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery, north of downtown Indy and south of Butler University.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2014, 08:11:57 PMThis reads a little strangely now.

I don't know, maybe it is a good question for certain people this time of year.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa