• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Broadway Cafe land?

Started by Chairback, October 26, 2014, 07:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

I was driving by the campus  today and noticed how nice it looked with all of the fall colors.  I then got to the Broadway cafe area and what an eye sore this is on campus.

Who owns the property?  Does Vu own it or at least tried to buy it?  I have to assume Vu bought the land next to it that used to be Kelsey's.

If you got Broadway cafe out of there the university could to multiples things with that area of land.

78crusader

The University's lease with the Broadway Cafe ends in 2019.

Paul

a3uge

If you go inside, they have newspaper clippings hanging up about the land dispute between them and the university. Always heard they had a tumultuous relationship. While their food is absolutely awful, I loved Broadway because I could park (basically) on campus for free. Admittedly, its a huge eyesore.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

okinawatyphoon

I'm thinking a nice fountain would work well on that land.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

Is this the property on the corner of Sturdy and 30?  Was it at one time known as the Orange Bowl? 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

I first thought this thread title was the worst theme-park idea ever.

Well, since EuroDisney.

But seriously--if they get rid of B-Cafe--where will people go for planet-named ice cream treats?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Broadway Cafe is staying until 2019 when that area will be occupied by a retention pond per the often manipulated master plan. If that includes a fountain I think like many things on the master plan it depends on what financing comes through.

In my opinion Broadway Cafe should have moved with Kelsey's over to the area in front of Wal-mart. They got their panties in a bind and obviously figured that the traffic vision on the corner was better than over by Kelsey's. They have a lease that VU could not legally break. I've heard it probably cost BCafe more money in legal fees yet they had a point to make to VU. BCafe has always participated in honoring what ever monetary system VU dining services was using at the time. Some would say both sides shot themselves in the foot and now both will play it out. For the most part VU and BCafe have got along for many years now.

vu72

My memory of The Orange Bowl restaurant was sort of correct.  As it turns out Kelseys, before they moved in 2005, was previously the site of The Orange Bowl, where many a beer was consumed by Valpo students, myself included!  Here is a history of Kelseys:

The story of Kelsey's begins in 1987. We opened the doors of the first Kelsey's Steak House in October of that year in Portage, Indiana. It was located across the street from Portage High School. In 1995, During the construction of our current Portage Kelsey's, the original burned down. Our new restaurant has been completely remodeled and now features outdoor dining and a convenient To-Go room. You can find Portage Kelsey's on the corner of Swanson Road and Route 6.
The second Kelsey's was opened a year later in Valparaiso, Indiana on the northwest corner of Sturdy Road and Laporte Avenue. We quickly outgrew that locationa and in 1991 moved to our second location on Sturdy Road and US 30. The building was originally home to Barboul's Steak & Chicken. To get to Barboul's one had to travel down a dirt road named US Highway 30. A steak and chicken dinner could be purchased for 55 cents. After Barboul's , the building housed a Greyhound Bus Station. A few of you may remember the next tenant, Marie's Restaurant. Many more of you will remember the last tenant before Kelsey's, the Orange Bowl. In 1994 our famous mascot, Howie the Cow, grazed over from Howard & Sons Meats to his current pasture here at Kelsey's Steak House. Finally our  current location was opened Nov. 2, 2005. It was formerly Denny's Restaurant. As of 2011 Jack and Peggy Hood purchased Kelsey's Steakhouse
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/broadway-cafe-loses-again-in-court/article_71791078-6826-5d6b-9753-d076a65d7b83.html?mobile_touch=true

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/broadway-cafe-parking-dispute-back-in-court/article_9f6ebe29-aae9-5c49-bae4-dfe94d35e092.html?mobile_touch=true

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/broadway-cafe-appeals-parking-dispute/article_3f03a4a2-1217-5b81-b217-eed96a4d1c72.html?mobile_touch=true

http://sannsmediation.com/wordpress/?p=190

As you can see VU and BC have had previous disputes about their lease and how much parking BC can use. It seems VU's goal was to force BC to move. So far BC and Valpo have settled into a stalemate where BC plans to keep operating on the leased land. When Kelseys was on the now fenced off property they shared parking with BC, although BC had no formal authority to use that land for parking. VU, obviously does not want to use the fenced off land until they take hold of BC's leased land in 2019 so they can fully landscape the whole area. VU has continued to prohibit BC from using the VU owned, fenced off, formally Kelseys' land as parking.  I personally do not feel BC's food is awful and appreciate having them as a dining choice. Although having BC at another location would also be fine with me. You be the judge.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on October 29, 2014, 12:31:09 PM
http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/broadway-cafe-loses-again-in-court/article_71791078-6826-5d6b-9753-d076a65d7b83.html?mobile_touch=true

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/broadway-cafe-parking-dispute-back-in-court/article_9f6ebe29-aae9-5c49-bae4-dfe94d35e092.html?mobile_touch=true

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/local/broadway-cafe-appeals-parking-dispute/article_3f03a4a2-1217-5b81-b217-eed96a4d1c72.html?mobile_touch=true

http://sannsmediation.com/wordpress/?p=190

As you can see VU and BC have had previous disputes about their lease and how much parking BC can use. It seems VU's goal was to force BC to move. So far BC and Valpo have settled into a stalemate where BC plans to keep operating on the leased land. When Kelseys was on the now fenced off property they shared parking with BC, although BC had no formal authority to use that land for parking. VU, obviously does not want to use the fenced off land until they take hold of BC's leased land in 2019 so they can fully landscape the whole area. VU has continued to prohibit BC from using the VU owned, fenced off, formally Kelseys' land as parking.  I personally do not feel BC's food is awful and appreciate having them as a dining choice. Although having BC at another location would also be fine with me. You be the judge.

It's just hard to take Broadway seriously when Jimmy's is in town.

Anyways, I did a google earth comparison of the land in 2007 vs now, and there's basically the same number of parking spaces. The space mentioned has been grass for years, and there's currently no fence.

I imagine the bulk of the cars in the back are actually VU students. They never towed or anything, and I imagine they enjoyed having Broadway look like it was a busy place while the university was getting stiffed from parking money from people like myself. Funny to read their argument that they were losing business because there wasn't enough parking. I find that very hard to believe.

historyman

It's a lot busier than those pictures show during the weekend meal times.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on October 29, 2014, 12:31:09 PMalthough BC had no formal authority to use that land for parking.

If you look at the documents related to this, BCafe had legal authority from the previous owners of the property (Orange Bowl) for sharing the parking with Kelsey's through the lease agreement. It was ruled by Judge Bradford that they didn't get approval from VU when the ownership changed in 2005 which was required according to the lease agreement. BCafe tried to argue that since the sub-lease was with Kelsey's they had ownership approval. But the sub-lease changed hands to VU when Kelsey's moved in 2005. This ruling was upheld by the appellate court in 2010.

Judge Bradford had ruled in BCafe's favor during the hearings over VU's attempts to get the lease voided.

I don't believe this statement "We wish Broadway Cafe success" Wunderlich said. unless the statement said "at a location far away from Valparaiso University."

vu72

We need 78 to give us a legal interpretation!

LaPorteAveApostle

I'll save you the time and do it for him:
I don't see VU winning this one.  Their lead counsel recruit only managed 2.3 gpa in a non-T30 conference?  Embarrassing.

Paul.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Chairback

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 27, 2014, 09:19:57 AMI first thought this thread title was the worst theme-park idea ever.

I laughed so hard when i saw this.  Frontier land, tomorrow land, fantasy land, and broadway cafe land.

I wonder how much business we give them for letting students use the meal plan there.  If significant, vu could stop the relationship and put a little more hurt on them till they move.

I would think they would want to move before 2019 if they are planning to do business in the future. 

historyman

This is on one of the whiteboard marques at Broadway Cafe.

classof2014

Wouldn't mind to see the place go. Personally I thought the owner was an a$$. They claimed to give VU students a 10% discount so one day me and my girlfriend (now wife) went their and only took the 10% off of my meal and claimed she wasn't a student which really pissed me off and only took the discount off for one meal (not even the drinks). The other staff would take it off the whole tab not just one plate. They had good rolls and chicken lemon rice soup but everything else was mediocre to poor.

It is a great location for a restaurant adjacent to Valpo, the only problem is the food is bleh, owner is a jerk, and they don't cater to the university. Other than that it is fantastic.