• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NBA Draft

Started by valpofan56, June 23, 2011, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofan56

As of now (could change 10 times before morning with the way the NBA trades draft picks) Norris Cole will be going to the Miami Heat and Shelvin Mack to the Washington Wizards and Matt Howard goes undrafted.

Cleveland State fans have really got to hate Cole going to the Heat Do they cheer for Norris Cole to play well and never pass the ball to Lebron?  ???

valpopal

I thought it was interesting to see Jon Diebler picked by the Trail Blazers to join Greg Oden (if he ever is healthy).

agibson

Quote from: valpofan56 on June 23, 2011, 09:44:24 PM
As of now (could change 10 times before morning with the way the NBA trades draft picks) Norris Cole will be going to the Miami Heat and Shelvin Mack to the Washington Wizards and Matt Howard goes undrafted.

Very nearly on the money!  Cole indeed went in the 28 spot, which I think is what you meant?  The pick went from Minnesota to Miami, but then on to Toronto and finally Chicago.

And Mack #34, early in the second round, to the Wizards.  And Howard left out... to Europe?  To the D league?

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on June 23, 2011, 11:24:36 PM
I thought it was interesting to see Jon Diebler picked by the Trail Blazers to join Greg Oden (if he ever is healthy).

Interesting!   #51.  How likely is it that he gets a contract?

Picked ahead of E'Twaun Moore, who went #55.

Interesting to see the Morris twins (the Morrii!) go back-to-back (#14 and #15, to different teams naturally).

vuweathernerd

chad ford just said on sportscenter that if norris cole had been playing at duke he'd have been a lottery pick. and that he's better than mario chalmers.

valpopal

As a Valpo high school hoops fan as well, I had to feel some for Robbie Hummel watching Purdue teammates Johnson and Moore get picked in the draft that, before his injuries, it was originally thought he would be a lottery pick.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on June 24, 2011, 04:12:48 AM
Quote from: valpofan56 on June 23, 2011, 09:44:24 PM

Very nearly on the money!  Cole indeed went in the 28 spot, which I think is what you meant?  The pick went from Minnesota to Miami, but then on to Toronto and finally Chicago.

I think you have this incorrectly stated. The Heat got the pick from the Timberwolves, who had gotten it from the Bulls, who got it from the Raptors, who got it originally from the Heat for Bosh. So the pick came full circle to the Heat, and Cole is going to Miami, apparently to back up Chalmers.

dylanrocks

What a night for the Horizon League, folks.

We went many years without a single draftee and now we've had two taken in one draft class and three in the last two years.

That and unprecedented NCAA tournament success in recent years reflects the league's ascension among mid-majors.

valpo95

Quote from: dylanrocks on June 24, 2011, 10:18:52 AM
What a night for the Horizon League, folks.

We went many years without a single draftee and now we've had two taken in one draft class and three in the last two years.

That and unprecedented NCAA tournament success in recent years reflects the league's ascension among mid-majors.

That's a good point.  It has to help recruiting to show some high school prospects that the HL gets noticed.  Not to say that we hadn't noticed the talent already, but this is more hard data to back it up.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on June 24, 2011, 09:35:13 AM
Quote from: agibson on June 24, 2011, 04:12:48 AM
The pick went from Minnesota to Miami, but then on to Toronto and finally Chicago.

I think you have this incorrectly stated. The Heat got the pick from the Timberwolves, who had gotten it from the Bulls, who got it from the Raptors, who got it originally from the Heat for Bosh. So the pick came full circle to the Heat, and Cole is going to Miami, apparently to back up Chalmers.

Ah, indeed, I had it messed up.  More complicated than I realized!

The right to select a player as the 28th draft was traded, weeks or months ago,
from Miami to Toronto and finally to Chicago.  Chicago drafted Cole as #28.  Cole was then traded to Minnesota and finally to Miami.

So, Miami originally had the right to pick 28th.  Cole was picked 28th.  Cole wound  up at Miami.  But, a lot went on in between ;)