• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents Scoreboard 2014-2015 Season

Started by motowntitan, November 02, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

UIC lost to Grand Canyon at home last night. Yowza.

classof2014

I would imagine this is Howard Moore's final season with UIC. They have been awful all but once when they were just mediocre.

UIC STINKS

I wonder if the MVC wants UIC as well...

oklahomamick

Green Bay got worked against Georgia St.  Another bad loss for the HL. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

I'm liking our chances for a conference title more and more.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Georgia State is actually a really good mid major team - but I thought Green Bay would have played them closer. They were upset in their conference tourney last year before having a nice season. Georgia State actually has an NBA prospect on their team - RJ Hunter, whom is the coaches son. Don't be surprised if we see him hit a few big shots in the tourney this year.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on December 04, 2014, 10:15:04 PMThey were upset in their conference tourney last year before having a nice season.
Either they play the tourney earlier than other conferences, or you're talking about their summer tour to Azerbajian.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2014, 10:36:58 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 04, 2014, 10:15:04 PMThey were upset in their conference tourney last year before having a nice season.
Either they play the tourney earlier than other conferences, or you're talking about their summer tour to Azerbajian.

Like I say, never let a good typo go to waist.

oklahomamick

Quote from: a3uge on December 04, 2014, 10:15:04 PMRJ Hunter, whom is the coaches son. Don't be surprised if we see him hit a few big shots in the tourney this year.

This is the same Ron Hunter at IUPUI when we were the Mid-con.  I know they are a good mid-major team, but the #1 HL team, Green Bay, should beat them even on the road.  If this is a "good league" then our defending conference champ should beat a Georgia St. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 05, 2014, 06:58:44 AM
Quote from: a3uge on December 04, 2014, 10:15:04 PMRJ Hunter, whom is the coaches son. Don't be surprised if we see him hit a few big shots in the tourney this year.

This is the same Ron Hunter at IUPUI when we were the Mid-con.  I know they are a good mid-major team, but the #1 HL team, Green Bay, should beat them even on the road.  If this is a "good league" then our defending conference champ should beat a Georgia St.

100% agreed.

classof2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 05, 2014, 06:58:44 AM

With that loss I guess that makes Valpo the number one HL team. We've been able to beat teams that will contend for their conference crowd one on the road and one kinda sorta road game. GB is a one trick pony now, and that pony is Keifer Sykes. If you have a good defender and are able to shut him down, and they're a very beatable team. Wardle is a terrible coach and the team seems to underachieve every year. Especially last year with two possible future NBA players.

Kyle321n

While I agree that I think we've moved into the "Favorite" role through non-con, it's still GB's preseason title to lose and they don't hand out midseason bids to the tourney.

I also think you're underrating Georgia St a little. RJ Hunter is a first round pick next season and I wouldn't be surprised if he led them to a Sweet 16 bid. They also have Kevin Ware, that of the "OH MY GOD THE BONE IS STICKING OUT OF HIS LEG" Kevin Ware with Louisville. He may have lost a step of speed, but he's still a REALLY good player that was good enough to be recruited by Rick Pitino. Their point guard would be an all conference player in the Horizon League. I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Bay lose at home on the return game.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Can't get enough of Ron Hunter along with RJ Hunter

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=12700&id=3440397

A video of the Georgia State trip to Costa Rica which included Ron Hunter's favorite past time giving shoes to underpriviledged kids.

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=12700&id=3440397

covufan

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 05, 2014, 08:48:03 AM
While I agree that I think we've moved into the "Favorite" role through non-con, it's still GB's preseason title to lose and they don't hand out midseason bids to the tourney.

I also think you're underrating Georgia St a little. RJ Hunter is a first round pick next season and I wouldn't be surprised if he led them to a Sweet 16 bid. They also have Kevin Ware, that of the "OH MY GOD THE BONE IS STICKING OUT OF HIS LEG" Kevin Ware with Louisville. He may have lost a step of speed, but he's still a REALLY good player that was good enough to be recruited by Rick Pitino. Their point guard would be an all conference player in the Horizon League. I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Bay lose at home on the return game.
And a Kentucky transfer, Ryan Harrow:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11106737/kevin-ware-gets-waiver-play-georgia-state-season

HC

awww, you guys missed me  :'(

btw: I doubt mc will be back  :-X

bbtds

Quote from: HC on December 05, 2014, 01:27:24 PM

I was thinking milanmiracle but that is mm. Who is mc?

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2014, 01:39:09 PM

Matt Carter... I think he left when there were no Bobby 3's to complain about.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 05, 2014, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2014, 01:39:09 PM

Matt Carter... I think he left when there were no Bobby 3's to complain about.

Okay, I must have thought he was just another St Louis Cardinals player named Matt

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 04, 2014, 08:02:46 PM
Green Bay got worked against Georgia St.  Another bad loss for the HL. 
I think you are being kind... being down 24 at halftime is down right embarrassing for the Horizon League standard bearer.  Any explanation as to what in the h3!! happened?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

(GreenBayPhoenix.com) – For the first time this season, Green Bay (5-2) did not score first on Thursday night, and it turned out to be a sign of things to come as the Phoenix offense struggled and Georgia State (6-2) returned home with a 72-48 victory at the GSU Sports Arena.

The game was tied 4-4 early as the teams traded baskets, but the Panthers rattled off a 15-2 run over the next six-plus minutes to lead 19-6 and led by double digits for the rest of the night.

Georgia State made things worse for its guests late in the half, tallying the final 11 points to lead 42-18 at intermission. The Panthers made 18-of-29 shots in the opening 20 minutes and Green Bay knocked down only 8-of-29.

Senior Keifer Sykes (Chicago, Ill.) led the Phoenix out of halftime by nailing a trio of three-pointers in the first few minutes to cut the lead to 15, but Georgia State immediately responded with a 10-0 run.

Sykes finished with 16 points to lead the Phoenix, but the visitors did not have another player reach double figures. Green Bay finished the game 15-of-52 from the field for just 28.8 percent, including 4-of-15 from the three-point line.

Georgia State's impressive backcourt of R.J. Hunter and Ryan Harrow led the way for the Panthers, scoring 26 and 17 points, respectively.

The Phoenix stays on the road and heads further south to Florida on Saturday, playing at No. 15/15 Miami (8-0) at 1 p.m. CST.

box score if you want to see it:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/3023865.pdf

talksalot

The Georgia State write-up is a little different

ATLANTA-Led by hot first half shooting and 26 points from R.J. Hunter, Georgia State cruised to a 72-48 win over Green Bay in a match-up of two of the top mid-major teams on Thursday night at the GSU Sports Arena.

Hunter finished the game with four 3-pointers and is now just one shy of becoming just the second Panther to make 200 in a career. After being named Sun Belt Player of the Week on Monday, he added five rebounds and made 10-of-12 from the free throw line. He also became just the fifth Panther in program history to score at least 1,300 points and now has 1,317 for his career.

Junior T.J. Shipes made his second career start and finished with a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds, to go along with a pair of blocked shots. He made 5-of-6 from the floor.

Georgia State shot 62 percent in the first half and finished the game shooting 53.1 percent from the floor. The Panthers came into the night shooting 50.6 percent for the season, ranked No. 19 in the NCAA.

Georgia State (6-2) won for the fifth-straight time and for the 15th-straight time at home dating back to the start of last season. The streak is tied for the 11th longest in the country.

Green Bay (5-2) entered the night ranked No. 1 in the country in the first NCAA RPI which had come out on Wednesday.

The game featured a match-up of a pair of Naismith Trophy Top 50 watch list members in Hunter and Green Bay's Keifer Sykes. The Panthers held Sykes to 16 points, the only member of the Phoenix to score in double figures.

"I was very impressed with the play of our guys tonight," head coach Ron Hunter said. "Despite what the score might say, that is an NCAA tournament team. We beat a very good basketball team. They are one of the best mid-major teams in the country.

"Everyone wants to talk about how good our offense is, but I keep telling everyone who will listen that our defense is pretty good too and I think tonight it showed. I was really proud of the way our guys fought for loose balls and took advantages of opportunities when they presented themselves. It was an all-round great effort."

Georgia State used hot shooting early to take a 16-6 lead just six and half minutes into the game, causing Green Bay to call its first time out. The Panthers made 7-of-10 from the floor during that time.

The Panthers led 31-18 before going on an 11-0 run to take a 42-18 into the half, their biggest lead of the first 20 minutes.

Georgia State held the Phoenix to just 27.6 percent shooting in the first half and 1-of-7 from 3-point range.

In the second half, Green Bay cut the lead to 50-34 with 14:37 to play, before the Panthers went on a 10-0 run to take a 60-34 lead with under 12 minutes to play.

Green Bay did not make a field goal from the 14:37 mark to 4:40 left in the game, as Georgia State built its lead to 69-40.

Senior Ryan Harrow added 17 points, eight assists and three of the Panthers nine steals.

Markus Crider chipped in with nine points and five rebounds, making all four shots from the floor.

The Panthers outscored Green Bay 34-18 in the paint and outrebounded the Phoenix 39-31.

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on December 05, 2014, 04:35:03 PM
The Georgia State write-up is a little different

ATLANTA-Led by hot first half shooting and 26 points from R.J. Hunter, Georgia State cruised to a 72-48 win over Green Bay in a match-up of two of the top mid-major teams on Thursday night at the GSU Sports Arena.

Hunter finished the game with four 3-pointers and is now just one shy of becoming just the second Panther to make 200 in a career. After being named Sun Belt Player of the Week on Monday, he added five rebounds and made 10-of-12 from the free throw line. He also became just the fifth Panther in program history to score at least 1,300 points and now has 1,317 for his career.

Junior T.J. Shipes made his second career start and finished with a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds, to go along with a pair of blocked shots. He made 5-of-6 from the floor.

Georgia State shot 62 percent in the first half and finished the game shooting 53.1 percent from the floor. The Panthers came into the night shooting 50.6 percent for the season, ranked No. 19 in the NCAA.

Georgia State (6-2) won for the fifth-straight time and for the 15th-straight time at home dating back to the start of last season. The streak is tied for the 11th longest in the country.

Green Bay (5-2) entered the night ranked No. 1 in the country in the first NCAA RPI which had come out on Wednesday.

The game featured a match-up of a pair of Naismith Trophy Top 50 watch list members in Hunter and Green Bay's Keifer Sykes. The Panthers held Sykes to 16 points, the only member of the Phoenix to score in double figures.

"I was very impressed with the play of our guys tonight," head coach Ron Hunter said. "Despite what the score might say, that is an NCAA tournament team. We beat a very good basketball team. They are one of the best mid-major teams in the country.

"Everyone wants to talk about how good our offense is, but I keep telling everyone who will listen that our defense is pretty good too and I think tonight it showed. I was really proud of the way our guys fought for loose balls and took advantages of opportunities when they presented themselves. It was an all-round great effort."

Georgia State used hot shooting early to take a 16-6 lead just six and half minutes into the game, causing Green Bay to call its first time out. The Panthers made 7-of-10 from the floor during that time.

The Panthers led 31-18 before going on an 11-0 run to take a 42-18 into the half, their biggest lead of the first 20 minutes.

Georgia State held the Phoenix to just 27.6 percent shooting in the first half and 1-of-7 from 3-point range.

In the second half, Green Bay cut the lead to 50-34 with 14:37 to play, before the Panthers went on a 10-0 run to take a 60-34 lead with under 12 minutes to play.

Green Bay did not make a field goal from the 14:37 mark to 4:40 left in the game, as Georgia State built its lead to 69-40.

Senior Ryan Harrow added 17 points, eight assists and three of the Panthers nine steals.

Markus Crider chipped in with nine points and five rebounds, making all four shots from the floor.

The Panthers outscored Green Bay 34-18 in the paint and outrebounded the Phoenix 39-31.

So, Green Bay had a Harrowing experience?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on December 05, 2014, 02:42:43 PMMatt Carter... I think he left when there were no Bobby 3's to complain about.
No (funny though!), he had a bad experience with an ass't AD at VU, unfortunately.  I told him we missed him, but I doubt he's coming back.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on December 05, 2014, 04:37:21 PMSo, Green Bay had a Harrowing experience?
You realize you lost all possibility of ever criticizing my jokes again...

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

I guess we have to take all the bad things we said about Green Bay.  They represented today and beat a nationally ranked miami team.
CRUSADERS!!!