• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MidMajorMadness coverage of the Horizon League

Started by Kyle321n, November 11, 2014, 10:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

You guys know what's up. I'm going to be covering the HL full time this year at MidMajorMadness.I know you all have already looked at this season's preview that won't be fraught with errors come this time next season.

Anyway I didn't come just to get page views, which really don't help me, but I'm sure my editors like them. Starting on the 26th I'm going to be doing a mailbag segment where I'll be looking for Horizon League fans to ask me questions and I'll answer them. Why? Because I'll be watching way too much basketball and if I can't share my insight with others my wife will bear the brunt of all my inane thoughts.

I'll also let you guys know when I'll have a Valpo recap up, but you already knew that.

So I hope you guys send in some questions for the mailbag.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

justducky

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 11, 2014, 10:39:57 AMSo I hope you guys send in some questions for the mailbag.
Would you like us to lob you a few grapefruit so that you can get settled in or would you prefer to start out ducking a few sizzling headhunter beanballs?   :)

Kyle321n

Quote from: justducky on November 11, 2014, 12:44:43 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 11, 2014, 10:39:57 AMSo I hope you guys send in some questions for the mailbag.
Would you like us to lob you a few grapefruit so that you can get settled in or would you prefer to start out ducking a few sizzling headhunter beanballs?   :)

Hah, well I can tell you right now that if you ever see "Rachel from Valpo" sending in a question, then you'll know that my mailbag was really light, or there's something I really wanted to pontificate on that wasn't in the Weekly Recap.

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 11, 2014, 10:39:57 AM
You guys know what's up. I'm going to be covering the HL full time this year at MidMajorMadness.I know you all have already looked at this season's preview that won't be fraught with errors come this time next season.

Anyway I didn't come just to get page views, which really don't help me, but I'm sure my editors like them. Starting on the 26th I'm going to be doing a mailbag segment where I'll be looking for Horizon League fans to ask me questions and I'll answer them. Why? Because I'll be watching way too much basketball and if I can't share my insight with others my wife will bear the brunt of all my inane thoughts.

I'll also let you guys know when I'll have a Valpo recap up, but you already knew that.

I enjoy MidMajor madness and SBNation, but good lord that mid major madness twitter account is terrible. I don't care about Siena's new locker room. I don't care about Bill's new Pepperdine shirt. I dont care when any team is warming up. I want to get updates on top mid major schools, and their final results - not Binghamton vs UMBC after the first TV timeout, and absolutely no follow-up for the rest of the game.

But the previews are great!

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on November 12, 2014, 05:07:10 PM

I enjoy MidMajor madness and SBNation, but good lord that mid major madness twitter account is terrible. I don't care about Siena's new locker room. I don't care about Bill's new Pepperdine shirt. I dont care when any team is warming up. I want to get updates on top mid major schools, and their final results - not Binghamton vs UMBC after the first TV timeout, and absolutely no follow-up for the rest of the game.

How else are you going to know if Duke can sit on a lead or not? The Devils are in the de-tails!

Kyle321n

Quote from: bbtds on November 12, 2014, 06:00:18 PM
Quote from: a3uge on November 12, 2014, 05:07:10 PM

How else are you going to know if Duke can sit on a lead or not? The Devils are in the de-tails!

Well unfortunately I don't run the twitter account. But I could pass along your info about it :)

Kyle321n

Here is our weekly recap for this week plus the first 2 days of the season. http://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2014/11/23/7269415/horizon-league-basketball-weekly-recap

Also I'm looking for questions for our mailbag. Feel free to ask here or on Twitter with the hashtag of #HLMailbag

LaPorteAveApostle

I liked how you stuck it to Loyola by calling DePaul-UIC the "battle for chicago" :)

Wow...is it just me or did the HL have a crappy first week?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Except for us of course.

By my toting, 8-19 vs. D1 opponents.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 23, 2014, 08:46:47 PMWow...is it just me or did the HL have a crappy first week?
Not at all! I just checked Warren Nolan and see that the Horizon non-conference record is standing at an almost phenomenal 20-11.

Wait! You did mean the women didn't you, because calling the men's record of 10-20 just crappy would be much too flattering.  ;)

We need Jack to give us some insight on this HL girls resurgence.

Kyle321n

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 23, 2014, 08:46:47 PM
Wow...is it just me or did the HL have a crappy first week?

The average KenPom of the HL's losses was 124 while the wins were 265. Not great, but when you look at who played the schools who were in the 75-150 range (winable games) WSU won vs. Belmont. and the only other game you'd expect to win was us vs. Mizzou. YSU, and UIC aren't top tier teams so they'll almost always lose those games, and Oakland and WSU are mid-level teams.  Not to give away my whole answer, because I'm going to use this in the mailbag, this week went about how you'd expect it.

LaPorteAveApostle

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 23, 2014, 03:13:10 PM
Here is our weekly recap for this week plus the first 2 days of the season. http://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2014/11/23/7269415/horizon-league-basketball-weekly-recap

Also I'm looking for questions for our mailbag. Feel free to ask here or on Twitter with the hashtag of #HLMailbag

This is great - I hope this continues every week.

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on November 24, 2014, 08:02:15 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 23, 2014, 03:13:10 PM

This is great - I hope this continues every week.
The recap will, the mailbag is every other week

LaPorteAveApostle