• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Arts & Sciences building

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 10, 2011, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

Once a center for campus social activities, the site of Valparaiso University's recently demolished old union will soon find a new purpose as a center for learning. Valparaiso University is starting construction this October on a new building that will strengthen Valpo's academic program by supporting the work of its faculty members and facilitating greater interaction between students and their professors.

The University's Board of Directors has approved construction of a three-story, 52,000-square-foot academic building that will add classroom space and consolidate faculty offices in the College of Arts and Sciences. The new building follows the construction of three other buildings in supporting Valpo's vibrant learning environment: the nearly completed Heritage Hall reconstruction project for the School of Law, the Donald V. Fites Engineering Innovation Center and the recently opened Harre Union.

President Mark Heckler said the investment of approximately $18.75 million in the new building will enhance Valpo's academic quality and support the personal character of the University's learning environment.

"Valpo's faculty members are widely recognized for being outstanding teachers who are dedicated to helping each student learn and develop a sense of purpose," said Heckler. "The new academic building will support their work and strengthen the quality of our students' educational experience."

Several academic departments in the College of Arts and Sciences will have faculty offices in the new building, in addition to classrooms and administrative offices for the college. Construction of the academic building, which is scheduled for completion in April 2012, will be followed by the renovation of classroom and faculty offices in Meier Hall for Valpo's Department of Education. The department will move from Miller Hall, which will be razed along with Huegli Hall.

Construction will begin immediately to ensure the project is well under way before the onset of winter, and a gathering to bless the project and celebrate its commencement is being planned for later this fall. Details about this event will follow shortly.

Jon Kilpinen, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said the project will foster greater departmental unity by moving faculty into a central location on campus, while at the same time encouraging more student-faculty interaction by housing faculty offices and classrooms together.

"Our students and faculty will benefit from the greater collaboration between departments and from additional opportunities for one-on-one interaction," Kilpinen said. "The new academic building also will support interdisciplinary innovation as the University explores exciting new academic programs."

The academic building, combined with the University's three ongoing or recently completed projects, represent a more than $110 million investment in the overall quality of the Valpo experience since 2006, Heckler said.

"Combined with our outstanding faculty and staff who help each student chart a unique educational path, this project will ensure Valpo continues to offer a superior learning environment," Heckler said.

EHDD, the architectural firm for the award-winning Christopher Center, also designed the new academic building.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

okinawatyphoon

I'm not sure how far along this project is since there is not only no webcam or project page, there is no mention of this building on Valpo's website (other than the announcement). When I stopped by the site in January, the foundation was coming along nicely. Does anyone have updates on this project?

vuweathernerd

maybe when you go back north from the gulf you can swing through and check :-)

agibson

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on March 13, 2011, 09:48:56 PM
I'm not sure how far along this project is since there is not only no webcam or project page, there is no mention of this building on Valpo's website (other than the announcement). When I stopped by the site in January, the foundation was coming along nicely. Does anyone have updates on this project?

I was on campus three weeks ago (overlapping the Missouri State game) - though my memory's a bit hazy.

I believe construction was ongoing, despite the chill.  And that there were some I-beams in place, even some as high as the second floor.

valpopal

Here is a photo of the arts & sciences building construction I snapped this afternoon.

vuweathernerd

cool beans. very exciting to see this kind of progress, given the crazy winter weather that would have hampered construction.

okinawatyphoon

Whoa, thanks for the update valpopal! It's coming along nicely!  :thumbsup:

78crusader

Did I see somewhere that they hope to have the building done -- and occupied -- by the time classes start next January?  If so, that tells me that maybe the administration has plans to knock down Huegli next spring and then start on the new dorm that I understand will be going in that spot.  Perhaps President Heckler will address this during one of his upcoming talks.  VU72, are you going?  If so, can you (or anyone else on this board) fill us in on what President Heckler had to say?  Thanks, Paul  ps and maybe you can ask him when the new track will be installed!  We've waited long enough! 

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: 78crusader on March 14, 2011, 08:39:39 PM
Did I see somewhere that they hope to have the building done -- and occupied -- by the time classes start next January?  If so, that tells me that maybe the administration has plans to knock down Huegli next spring and then start on the new dorm that I understand will be going in that spot.  Perhaps President Heckler will address this during one of his upcoming talks.  VU72, are you going?  If so, can you (or anyone else on this board) fill us in on what President Heckler had to say?  Thanks, Paul  ps and maybe you can ask him when the new track will be installed!  We've waited long enough! 

I haven't heard that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get this building done as soon as possible (and from the looks of it, it seems as if it could be done by January at the rate it's going). And please, 72, ask about the track!! It still baffles me.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on March 14, 2011, 08:58:47 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on March 14, 2011, 08:39:39 PM

I haven't heard that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get this building done as soon as possible (and from the looks of it, it seems as if it could be done by January at the rate it's going). And please, 72, ask about the track!! It still baffles me.

you mean you didn't like running pfas on the mezzanine track? ;)

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on March 14, 2011, 04:30:11 PM
Here is a photo of the arts & sciences building construction I snapped this afternoon.

Just to make sure I have my bearings correct, is this picture taken from the parking lot that was on the west side of the old union?

agibson

As a random aside, the title of this thread "New Arts & Sciences building" still throws me!

It's true that the building is intended, more or less, for the college of arts and sciences.  But, it's not to be confused with the VUCA (for many "arts"), nor with Neils Science Center (or its proposed replacement).

I think of it more as a "humanities" building.  We'll see what they actually name it!  I suppose they're still hoping for a donor, and would happily call it, wait, what's his name?  Hromadka Hall?

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on March 15, 2011, 02:47:56 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 14, 2011, 04:30:11 PM

Just to make sure I have my bearings correct, is this picture taken from the parking lot that was on the west side of the old union?

Yes, this picture is taken from the side entrance of Christ College facing east and looking over the old parking lot. The building behind the construction is the library, which I hoped would offer a bit of perspective.

valporun

Quote from: agibson on March 15, 2011, 06:00:12 AM
As a random aside, the title of this thread "New Arts & Sciences building" still throws me!

It's true that the building is intended, more or less, for the college of arts and sciences.  But, it's not to be confused with the VUCA (for many "arts"), nor with Neils Science Center (or its proposed replacement).

I think of it more as a "humanities" building.  We'll see what they actually name it!  I suppose they're still hoping for a donor, and would happily call it, wait, what's his name?  Hromadka Hall?

It will probably hold some of the humanities courses, or some of the smaller classes for "majors only", if the class will have small enrollment. Also, it will be the office spaces for those who were over in Huegli for many decades. I guess that's where the "arts & sciences" comes from, since most of the professors who had offices in Huegli taught the "arts & sciences" of thinking, more than art or science.

okinawatyphoon

As far as I know, there's a possibility that there was not a major donor to this project and may just be named something generic. But yes, I called it the new "arts & sciences building" since it will house professors for the college mostly. Remember, there is minimal classroom space in this building (approximately four classrooms and some shared space) and will mostly be professor and administrator offices.

sliman

Until the building carries a person's name, I suspect a major donor will always have an opportunity to name it.

theladybook

The College of Arts & Sciences includes liberal arts and social sciences--departments such as soc, psych, econ, and others that can't possibly be classified as humanities. Also the Dean of A&S will be located there. I'm told moving in will take place late spring and summer '12 with full readiness by that fall.

agibson

Yeah, if we think of it as a liberal arts building that helps quite a bit.

Quotedepartments such as soc, psych, econ, and others that can't possibly be classified as humanities.

Ah, the social sciences.  I'll confess that, to this physicist, these do all sometimes feel like humanities ;)

Admittedly, there are plenty of pscyhologists and economists who do work that feels scientific, or at least data driven.  Sociology I'm less sure of - I should probably better acquaint myself with the field, my best reference is probably Durkheim, maybe noone newer!

okinawatyphoon

A few more details of the new building:

95 faculty offices and support areas
10 classrooms (more than the rumored 4)
A Language Resource Center (badly needed, by the way, since the one in Meier Hall was pretty terrible).
On target to achieve LEED Silver.
51,360 sq ft

agibson

95 offices!  Wow - that must be a quarter of the faculty.

Off topic, but, okinawa, your post reminds me.  How do the admissions numbers look?  I guess it's about that time of year? 

vu72

Because Arts and Sciences is by far the largest college, it makes sense that all classrooms, offices etc couldn't be in one place.  The VUCA is for "performing Arts" while Neils is classroom sciences.  This new building, as others have stated, is for bringing the colleges professors into one buiilding rather than being scattered all over the place.  Many of the profs will come from Huegli which will be next to hit the wrecking ball.

As for naming, remember that President Heckler and the Board are taking a new approach to construction of new facilities.  During Alan Harre's tenure, most everything was only started after firm commitments were in place for not only the construction costs but also the endowment for same.

This new approach is more like..."if we need it we will build it and worry about how to fund it later".
Certain projects just need to be done now, during a period when a major fund raising project is not underway.  It makes sense to me.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: agibson on April 12, 2011, 05:58:07 AM
95 offices!  Wow - that must be a quarter of the faculty.

Off topic, but, okinawa, your post reminds me.  How do the admissions numbers look?  I guess it's about that time of year? 

I actually haven't heard too much other than some generic rumblings, but things are looking good from what I've heard.

vu72

The President told us, (and I have confirmation from admissions) that not only were the application numbers way up, but the quality of the incoming class was also better than in recent memory.  As an example, students must now have a minimum of a B average to even apply.  The class will be larger also.  What the exact numbers are I don't know, but they should be released shortly I would think.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

What I don't understand is the administration's insistence on building a Welcome Center.  To me, the current admissions building is fine.  I think there are other, more pressing building needs than a Welcome Center.  No one on this board has ever said boy, the current admissions building is a real negative for VU.  However, many have pointed out our need (I list them here in no particular order) for a new science building, fieldhouse, dorms, and track.  I would bet that when the administration took its survey of what people thought VU needed in terms of facilities, a Welcome Center was not even mentioned.  Paul

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on April 12, 2011, 12:40:59 PM
The President told us, (and I have confirmation from admissions) that not only were the application numbers way up, but the quality of the incoming class was also better than in recent memory.  As an example, students must now have a minimum of a B average to even apply.  The class will be larger also.  What the exact numbers are I don't know, but they should be released shortly I would think.

I have also been informed by an administration official that applications are very high, and the quality of the accepted students is higher as well. The person speaking to me sounded very encouraged. He also said the progress of construction for the A&S building appears to be on schedule.