• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Paging my Protestant friends

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, December 05, 2014, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

First, happy St. Nicholas Day.  I hope you get as big a kick out of this as I did:

Secondly, speaking of vigils for the next day, it occurred to me how many Protestant groups don't have services (almost wrote Mass) on Christmas Day.  I remember reading about a divide that occurred when a few years ago (as it does) Christmas fell on Sunday and some still didn't have Sunday/Christmas services.

I was wondering what your respective communities have as their Christmas Eve/Day schedule?

And no, I'm not jealous because I'm playing 7 Masses myself. :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2014, 08:11:25 PMSecondly, speaking of vigils for the next day, it occurred to me how many Protestant groups don't have services (almost wrote Mass) on Christmas Day.  I remember reading about a divide that occurred when a few years ago (as it does) Christmas fell on Sunday and some still didn't have Sunday/Christmas services.

I was wondering what your respective communities have as their Christmas Eve/Day schedule?

And no, I'm not jealous because I'm playing 7 Masses myself.

Our LCMS church has two Christmas Eve services (5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.) and Christmas Day service (10:00 a.m.)

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm willing to bet that attendance goes from heavy to light as the services progress.

Part of what we have in common :)

How big is your community?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

St. Pauls Evangelical Lutheran Church, one of the LCMS Mother churches and the birth place of the American Luther League and the Lutheran University Association, will have a 7PM Children's Christmas Eve Service with choral and instrumental music provided by the children of St. Paul's Lutheran School and an 11 PM Christmas Eve Services of Lessons and Carols with St. Paul's Adult Choir broadcast live on WOWO radio station 1190 AM. Christmas Day will be a Divine Festival service at 10AM

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

That's beautiful.  What a stunning place to have Christmas. 

So two eve, one day (that's two in a row!).  How does a "divine festival" (the day service) differ, may I ask?

FWalum

Festival setting (more singing and chanting) of the Mass or, as more commonly called by Lutherans, Divine service in which the Eucharist is celebrated.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Our very small (350 or so members) ELCA church, will have three Christmas Eve services (6:00 Family Worship, 8:30 Candlelight Service and 11:00 Candlelight Service)  All three will include the Eucharist which is not unusual or special as we celebrate the Eucharist at every normal Sunday Service.

As for a Christmas Day service, as our typical worship service runs about an hour and fifteen minutes, we WILL be worshiping on Christmas Day!!!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2014, 10:13:15 PM
I'm willing to bet that attendance goes from heavy to light as the services progress.

Part of what we have in common :)

How big is your community?

2,000 members. About 700 for three services on the weekend including Saturday 6:30 p.m., Sunday 8:00 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. The 10:45 a.m. service is by far the fullest service by times two.

On Christmas Eve we have two overflowing services at 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. (about 450 each service) and on Christmas Day I think it's 80 to 100.

FWalum

Very interesting VU72 and bbtds.  Care to give out church names and locations?  Sounds like great ways to celebrate the birth of our Savior!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2014, 07:32:31 AMFestival setting (more singing and chanting)
ah!  what we call (or called...) "High Mass" :)

Quote from: bbtds on December 06, 2014, 11:58:15 AM2,000 members
guessing that's huge?

Quote from: vu72 on December 06, 2014, 09:30:48 AMAs for a Christmas Day service, as our typical worship service runs about an hour and fifteen minutes, we WILL be worshiping on Christmas Day!
That's great--I can't believe you have a fraction of say bbtds' church and are having more services!

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 06, 2014, 01:03:45 PM
Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2014, 07:32:31 AMFestival setting (more singing and chanting)

guessing that's huge?

Quote from: vu72 on December 06, 2014, 09:30:48 AMAs for a Christmas Day service, as our typical worship service runs about an hour and fifteen minutes, we WILL be worshiping on Christmas Day!
That's great--I can't believe you have a fraction of say bbtds' church and are having more services!

I guess it has more to do with seating capacity.  Unfortunately, we all know that Christmas Eve draws WAY more folks then a typical week.  I guess some of that is people visiting, but you get my point.  We are Rejoice Lutheran,  Coppell, Texas.  Love to see "ya'll"!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 06, 2014, 01:03:45 PM

guessing that's huge?

You mean for a Lutheran Church?  Kinda.  In Texas for sure, but if you go to "Lutheran Land" aka Minnesota, it isn't unusual at all.  In my former suburb of Minneapolis, Eden Prairie, there were 5 Lutheran churches, 3 ELCA, 1 LCMS and 1 Wisconsin.  The largest was about 12000, while mine, the second largest, was about 2500.

bbtds

Calvary Lutheran, Perry Township, Indianapolis (near Southport, 1/4 mile from Southport HS).

Most of the LCMS churches in Indy are smaller. Carmel Lutheran is about 3,000 members and St Johns Lutheran on the southeast side is 1600 members.

http://clcs.org/

StlVUFan

Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd (ELCA), Hazelwood, MO has one 10:00 service Christmas Day, and usually at least a couple of services on Christmas Eve, one of them candelight.  It's always been that way as far as I can remember.

LaPorteAveApostle

Interesting--fairly consistent among the Lutheran schedules cited here is two eve and one day, midmorning.  Regardless of size or location too.

Of course, small sample size. Still, interesting!

LaPorteAveApostle

Didn't someone post a Lutheran Satire video on here before? (Was it me?)

Anyway, thought this was hilarious and you guys might like it too:
http://thefederalist.com/2014/12/17/3-ways-the-biblical-blockbuster-can-get-its-groove-back/

LaPorteAveApostle

talksalot

wow L.A.A..... I really thought this was going to be a discussion on consecutive winning streaks for games not at home.... THAT was a great moment in journalism.

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle