• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

President Heckler's pay disclosed

Started by vu72, December 10, 2014, 10:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Just so this article which discloses private university president's salary levels in Indiana.

Presient Heckler ranks 4th in the state behind DePauw, Butler and Notre Dame.  Oh, for those who think our coaches aren't paid enough, check out who made considerably more than Mark Heckler!

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/news/local/2014/12/09/private-college-presidential-pay-disclosed/20174271/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on December 10, 2014, 10:27:06 AMJust so this article which discloses private university president's salary levels in Indiana. Presient Heckler ranks 4th in the state behind DePauw, Butler and Notre Dame.  Oh, for those who think our coaches aren't paid enough, check out who made considerably more than Mark Heckler! http://www.thestarpress.com/story/news/local/2014/12/09/private-college-presidential-pay-disclosed/20174271/

You might notice that Homer Drew's salary in 2012 is mentioned and he out earned Butler's president Danko (ranked 2nd behind Notre Dame's Father Jenkins) in salary. If there is a guy who has truly earned his salary it's Homer.

I remember back a few years it was revealed that Kelvin Sampson, disgraced former bb coach at Indiana, currently at U of Houston, was the highest paid state employee. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

With the cost of attending private universities at the tipping point and considering the constant pressure to modernize facilities, build endowments, maintain enrollment, improve the university's ranking and reputation, etc., these people are IMO worth whatever they are getting paid.

LaPorteAveApostle

He's really a notch higher since Jenkins doesn't directly get a dime of his salary.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: historyman on December 10, 2014, 11:40:46 AM
Quote from: vu72 on December 10, 2014, 10:27:06 AMJust so this article which discloses private university president's salary levels in Indiana. Presient Heckler ranks 4th in the state behind DePauw, Butler and Notre Dame.  Oh, for those who think our coaches aren't paid enough, check out who made considerably more than Mark Heckler! http://www.thestarpress.com/story/news/local/2014/12/09/private-college-presidential-pay-disclosed/20174271/

You might notice that Homer Drew's salary in 2012 is mentioned and he out earned Butler's president Danko (ranked 2nd behind Notre Dame's Father Jenkins) in salary. If there is a guy who has truly earned his salary it's Homer.

I remember back a few years it was revealed that Kelvin Sampson, disgraced former bb coach at Indiana, currently at U of Houston, was the highest paid state employee. 

If you simply look at, say, Bryce's salary plus (I have no idea what he earns) and then compare it to other coaches, it can be misleading.  Homer's comp isn't based on his position as Asst. AD, it is based on year's of deferred comp.  I suspect Bryce has a similar slary structure.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

There are a lot of head coaches that do the deferred compensation, this way they aren't screwing the university over in terms of buyouts of contracts or severance packages, if there were still years on the contract. Plus, a lot of head coaches can safely live off the money made in endorsement deals with shoe companies and other businesses they do commercials for. Wasn't it true that Bobby Knight's contracts with IU were LOW because he was making more doing the endorsements for sponsors and local companies than what IU was willing to pay?

covufan

Quote from: valporun on December 10, 2014, 04:06:43 PM
There are a lot of head coaches that do the deferred compensation, this way they aren't screwing the university over in terms of buyouts of contracts or severance packages, if there were still years on the contract. Plus, a lot of head coaches can safely live off the money made in endorsement deals with shoe companies and other businesses they do commercials for. Wasn't it true that Bobby Knight's contracts with IU were LOW because he was making more doing the endorsements for sponsors and local companies than what IU was willing to pay?
Before the college coaches started making obscene amounts of $$$, I think that Knight and Keady were both making around $150K.  If memory serves (mid 90's?), this was in the Indy Magazine "What do they make" edition, which included TV newscasters, Bob and Tom, the governor, etc.  At that time, the amounts that the state paid for coaches was less than other positions within the university.  It was also the amount that any pension, 401k, etc., was based.  The boosters and athletic department also had monies for things such as radio show, basketball camps, booster speeches and fundraising, etc., but came from a different pot of money than the salary from the state.  This is where the real money for Knight and Keady resided.  I believe this bumped up their total salary package to be more in line with other coaches, but I can't remember a $$ amount.

If an endorsement was negotiated by the University (think incoming coaches), then that was also included in the salary package.  Since Knight's time at IU dated to the '70s, most of his endorsement money he made on his own, which he would generally give away a large portion to the library or other charities. 

valpotx

Good to see that we pay the people well, who help to build up our school's image. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I think the salary is fair. The issue I have with a lot of universities is not what the president makes but what the layers of bureaucracy make. Some of those jobs are very status like with little results from their contributions. Overall, I think President Heckler is doing a great job leading Valparaiso University in the right direction.

Jase01

What a way to learn about someone's paycheck.  :)
Football Odds tipster and combat sports lover.