• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Police Arrests at Drinking Party

Started by valpopal, December 15, 2014, 12:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 17, 2014, 07:43:34 PMPerhaps, rather than try to make some utopian 'it's a small world after all' harmony happen, we need to find how best to coexist given that we'll never be 'buddy-buddy', town'n gown...
Just a few observations from my outsider perspective.

VU has only a little outside interaction with the city and virtually none with the rest of northwest Indiana. I have always felt that this isolation has been self imposed. Given the power to do so I think that many that are involved with the university would prefer to pluck up the entire campus and move it to another city, area, state or nation. So you are in the larger northwest Indiana community with very little investment in that community.

Ok so a certain level of isolation is understandable and necessary but how much did any of you out of state grads learn about this part of the state while you were here?

This indifference and discomfort towards northwest Indiana has been yet another of the reasons that VU has drawn poorly from its sports fans.

I know that some of this is just my fatigued ramblings but you should give it some thought and take it for what it is worth.

historyman

Michael Osipoff @MichaelOsipoff

Jubril Adekoya issues statement apologizing after weekend arrest for underage drinking. #Valparaiso
5:11 PM - 18 Dec 2014

(I don't know how to show tweets here so I just copied & pasted this here.)

http://bleacherreport.com/valparaiso-basketball
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

hailcrusaders

Not to condone any actions, but it seems like Bryce has made appropriate decisions regarding suspensions. This too shall pass. Before anyone claims the sky to be falling, compare this little incident to those of Tavares Sledge, JT Yoho, Eli Holman, or Kaylon Williams. It's not like this kind of thing doesn't happen at other schools, and at least our guys didn't get behind the wheel or otherwise endanger others.

Also, word on campus is there was not just one, but two underage volleyball recruits involved. No guarantees on verity, but involving minors on the other hand does not make us look the best.
#CrusadersForever

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Vinny on December 18, 2014, 10:36:56 PMit doesn't reflect any more poorly on the coaching staff than it does the Man in the Moon

I don't think you really know how things work, do you?  At least where "things" = "college sports".

Quote from: historyman on December 19, 2014, 02:36:12 AM(I don't know how to show tweets here so I just copied & pasted this here.)
For the record, it's [ t w e e t ] then [ / t w e e t ] (obviously w/o spaces), and in between goes the number of the tweet.

In this case, https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/545717957268361216, you take that long number at the end, and voila:

[tweet]545717957268361216[/tweet]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jack

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 19, 2014, 04:49:24 AM
Quote from: Vinny on December 18, 2014, 10:36:56 PMit doesn't reflect any more poorly on the coaching staff than it does the Man in the Moon

I don't think you really know how things work, do you?  At least where "things" = "college sports".

Quote from: historyman on December 19, 2014, 02:36:12 AM(I don't know how to show tweets here so I just copied & pasted this here.)
For the record, it's [ t w e e t ] then [ / t w e e t ] (obviously w/o spaces), and in between goes the number of the tweet.

In this case, https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/545717957268361216, you take that long number at the end, and voila:

[tweet]545717957268361216[/tweet]

This was my point. As for the student athletes, the punishment, and the hype will come and go. All universities battle with these types of situations. The underage recruits is a whole different story. These kids family and school entrusted these kids' well being to The coaching staff and Valpo. The fact that the coaches knew nothing about them attending this party is irrelevant, much like a parent who's child has a friend sleep over and they sneak out and get arrested for something. At the end of the day, the buck stops with the coaches.

vu72

So if basketball players get two games what do the 17 football players get??  That's a lot of players!!   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

Quote from: vu72 on December 19, 2014, 07:03:43 AM
So if basketball players get two games what do the 17 football players get??  That's a lot of players!!   ???

Were 17 arrested? I was thinking some that were there were of age. I suppose if they were legal, and out of season, there isn't really much that can be done. If the 17 were under aged, then they could spread out the 2 game suspensions with a couple here and there throughout the season.

vu72

Quote from: jack on December 19, 2014, 07:12:01 AM

Were 17 arrested? I was thinking some that were there were of age. I suppose if they were legal, and out of season, there isn't really much that can be done. If the 17 were under aged, then they could spread out the 2 game suspensions with a couple here and there throughout the season.

Here is the quote from the article:

Of the 45 arrested, 26 were Valparaiso University athletes, including 17 football players,
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: jack on December 19, 2014, 07:12:01 AM

A 2 game suspension for a basketball player or volleyball player (given a 30 game season) is 6% of the season.  Another way to look at it is that, in season, the teams usually play 2 games in a week i.e., 2 games off are the equivalent of a 1 week suspension.

A 2 game suspension for a football player (given an 11 game season) is 18% of a season; for a soccer player (given an 18 game season) 11% of the season.  Another way to look at it pretty much for both is that a 1 week suspension includes one game.

I would suggest that the the FB and soccer players would suffer unequal penalties unless a proportional approach is taken. I'd say 2 games for BB and VB and 1 game for FB and soccer. And even there FB and SO wind up getting get hit a smidgeon harder.

Personal Opinion:  The kids broke the underage drinking law and they acted contrary to the student code of conduct. They brought unwanted notoriety to the university (I'll reserve my judgment on how the city police handled the matter).  That said, as pointed out, nothing more than alcohol was found, there were no altercations nor abusive behavior.  I also did not see any public intoxication charges noted.  Our kids are good kids. They collectively made poor decisions and I think their behavior at the time and post-bust indicated that they knew they were in the wrong and took responsibility for that lack of judgement. Many lessons were learned that night and these kids are smart enough to recognize that.  I hope that the university does not overreact.  It's time to move on.

valpopal

The football players will receive a one game suspension, which likely will be spread among the players over a few games.

valpopal

Dean and Miller will be suspended for two Women's basketball games each, though they likely will alternate games in their suspensions, especially since the team is already short-handed due to injuries.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on December 19, 2014, 11:25:05 AM
The football players will receive a one game suspension, which likely will be spread among the players over a few games.

Thanks for the clarification Pal.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on December 19, 2014, 12:50:03 PMespecially since the team is already short-handed due to injuries.

Seems to me this is a huge reason you don't mess around at drinking parties during the season. If there were two student athletes that were risking the most it was these two because of the very reason that the team is hurt so much by their absences in the games due to the team being short handed.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 19, 2014, 04:49:24 AMQuote from: historyman on Today at 02:36:12 AM
(I don't know how to show tweets here so I just copied & pasted this here.)

For the record, it's [ t w e e t ] then [ / t w e e t ] (obviously w/o spaces), and in between goes the number of the tweet. In this case, https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/545717957268361216, you take that long number at the end, and voila:

Thank you.

Now where did "the number" come from? I don't see it in the tweet.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: historyman on December 19, 2014, 02:36:12 AM
Michael Osipoff @MichaelOsipoff

Jubril Adekoya issues statement apologizing after weekend arrest for underage drinking. #Valparaiso
5:11 PM - 18 Dec 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/valparaiso-basketball

So, where's the statement?  Facebook?

historyman

Sometimes your plans don't go the way you figure they will

valpotx

It sounds like we lucked out that Peters didn't drink at this party, or wasn't with his GF.  From posts I have seen of others that stalk our players on social media ;), Peters and Dean are together.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Vinny

I doubt we'll see a statement from the Athletics department. That's not this regime's M.O. I asked a former staff member about why they're so hush-hush about personnel matters (injuries/suspensions) and she said it's because coaches don't want other teams to be aware of these things.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on December 19, 2014, 06:42:15 PMSo, where's the statement?  Facebook?

Paul does quote from it in today's game day piece

"I sincerely apologize to the university, fans and my teammates for the embarrassing attention I have brought to the program, my family and myself," Adekoya said in a statement released on Thursday evening. "I am so proud to be able to be a part of this university and team. My mistake is inexcusable, and moving forward, I hope others may be able to learn from my actions as I will."

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/crusaders-winding-down-non-conference-play/article_32f50aef-d207-5aca-abc6-3a110fc1d4bb.html

But, I'm still curious.  Facebook? Some sort of private press release?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on December 19, 2014, 05:35:25 PMNow where did "the number" come from? I don't see it in the tweet.
at the end of the web address ("http etc")
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ARCInsider

I agree completely with HC. #creepy

vu72