• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Fieldhouse

Started by 78crusader, December 26, 2014, 10:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Or could this be renovation of the ARC?

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on December 26, 2014, 12:02:54 PM

Plans have always been to build the fieldhouse first then be able to move offices there so that the renovation can begin.  Otherwise you'd have a bunch of coaches/athletes with no where to live/train etc.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Thanks vu72,  that sure makes sense to me.  Let's hope the sooner the better.

VULB#62

From the cdm site:

PROJECT OVERVIEW
Last Updated:   2014-12-8
Stage:   Pre-design
Estimated Value:   $2,100,000 (Historical Average)

$2.1 million only buys you a study these days.  Plenty of paper, drawings and data files, but no facility for those dollars.  But it's a start. Glad to see it.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on December 26, 2014, 12:02:54 PM

PROJECT OVERVIEW
Last Updated:   2014-12-8
Stage:   Pre-design
Estimated Value:   $2,100,000 (Historical Average)
PROJECT LOCATION
State:   Indiana
County:   Porter County
City:   Valparaiso
Address:   Site Selected Not Announced
PROJECT TYPE
Building Category:   Gymnasiums
Work Type:   New

okinawatyphoon

Great find....thanks 78.  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpotx

Seriously, it costs $2.1 million just for the study?  That is absurd. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

valpotx

It will be interesting to see the design of the field house, once decided.  I still don't see how it costs $2.1 million to perform a study, but I guess that they have to analyze some of these questions:

How big will it need to be?
What sports will it support?
How much room for office space?
How many locker facilities?
Would it be wise to include swimming and diving in a move to the field house?  (opens up space at the ARC for future renovation, and improves S&D recruiting potentially)
Operational cost per year?
etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

What about all the pieces, glue, paint, and stickers or fake landscaping for the sales model of what the prospective building would look like, plus all the pizza and steak lunches/dinners to complete this project/study?

a3uge

http://www.cmdgroup.com/project-leads/indiana/

Considering the main list has a firehouse subs at $500,000 and a courthouse/jail listed as $10,499,000, I'm thinking that's the value of the project. Also, the Union is on there: http://www.cmdgroup.com/building-types/college-university-miscellaneous/indiana/projects/150129588/ and it has a value of $40,000,000. I'm assuming the university didn't spend $40 million on a study.

That being said, it says "Valparaiso University Field House", which would imply a field house. $2 million would build you the landscaping and entryway.

LaPorteAveApostle

VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY FIELD HOUSE $2.1 M

SEEMS LEGIT
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

This is what I envision for the fieldhouse. This is the court inside my outer house.

LaPorteAveApostle

why is your jumbotron powered by candles
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 30, 2014, 10:21:15 PM

It was there first. It wasn't a basketball court until about 2004. If you don't throw up wild last second shots the ball hardly ever hits it. That is a picture from 2005. It doesn't look much like that today.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on December 30, 2014, 11:03:16 PM

It was there first. It wasn't a basketball court until about 2004. If you don't throw up wild last second shots the ball hardly ever hits it. That is a picture from 2005. It doesn't look much like that today.
Is this in Indy?

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 30, 2014, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 30, 2014, 11:03:16 PM

Is this in Indy?

Technically it is in southwest Indianapolis, in Decatur Township by the Marion County/Johnson County line and also close to Hendricks County. When Indy and Marion County were merged (unigov) by then Mayor, and later Senator, Lugar, many parts of Marion County were fairly rural. So Indy city limits were extended out to the areas of Marion County that were unincorporated at that time. Here is what the area around my house looks like:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6389911,-86.3073843,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shR8Fxvj86GoTTGQj9epglA!2e0

There is a corn field across the road from a subdivision. That is very typical of the farther out parts of Indy.

It's a long story but I was basically given the outer house by a neighbor because it was next to my property and decided to do something fun with it. Unfortunately my wife stores many things on one end of the court which doesn't get cleared off very often. Sometimes I decide to play some games with my sons (who no longer live in Indy) or we'll have a party which doesn't happen as often as I would like and we clear the junk, er..... I mean good belongings out.

LaPorteAveApostle

wow. i'm sorry I ever doubted you...i figured you were just doing a GIS like usual.

congrats!

vufan75

I cannot speak to the accuracy of the following, but according to poster ValpoFan on the Loyola to MVC message board topic, who heard President Heckler talking about building projects either underway or planned for Valpo......

Quote from: ValpoFan on December 30, 2014, 10:27:47 PM
Fwiw, I heard president Heckler recently talking about the chapel addition and the planned new science building being the last buildings to be erected in the foreseeable future. He mentioned that the new campaign includes no new buildings and will focus on growing the university endowment funds.He wisely said that the university facilities have grown a lot in the recent past and he wants to see the endowments grow accordingly to make sure that the university can keep up with the operation and maintenance costs of these new buildings.
That being said, if someone wants to donate $50M to build a rec center or arena, I'm sure president Heckler will be willing to listen  ;D

With the proposed Fieldhouse in the pre-bid phase, given President Heckler's comments, not sure where that building and project stands. Sure doesn't bode well for any ARC renovations within the next 5 or so years, and probably longer. I'm all for building the endowment, but, I've heard repeatedly that the ARC renovation was coming in the reasonably near future. Heard that for the last decade or so. I guess my definition of near future (5 years or so) is way different than the BOD's or those in control of the pursestrings. Wish I had the 20+ million dollars to donate that it will probably take someday to renovate the ARC and bring it up to this century's typical arena standards.                ???   :o

Happy New Year to all! May 2015 be a great year for Valpo athletics!!

wh

A father and 2 sons are exclusively responsible for the success of the basketball program at Valparaiso University. It has succeeded despite the unwillingness by those in charge to move to the HL years before it did, squandering the opportunity to elevate the profile of the program in the aftermath of the sweet 16 run and "the shot" (brought to you exclusively by Homer and Bryce Drew). It has succeeded despite the deaf ear of the last administration to address Homer Drew's pleas to make critical facility needs to remain competitive. It has succeeded despite a lack of wealthy alumni that give a damn one way or the other about Valpo's flagship sport or it's value-add to the university's brand. It has succeeded despite multiple initiatives by the current administration to address "more critical" facility needs to the exclusion of upgrading the bb physical plant. Presumably, the administration assumes it will continue to succeed while it promotes yet another new initiative to build the endowment and while it continues to give non-committal lip service to addressing ARC facility needs. 

What we have is a foundation built on sand. The day Bryce leaves the university will learn a hard lesson about the price of abuse. Without the Drew name and Bryce's ability to attract high profile recruits despite a woefully inadequate facility compared to our competition, we will begin in decline mode almost immediately. Within 3 or 4 years, those of us diehards still following the program will be posting our memories of the good times under a thread entitled "remember when..."

As one of our veteran posters would say, "Boook it!"

Kyle321n

I just need to win the lottery since I've already got an agreement with my wife to donate $10mil to the university for the construction of the new Athletics and Recreation Center (I would stipulate that the building still be called the ARC and the floor be named for Homer Drew). The wife would want to include a natatorium to the building and have it named after her so it's the most difficult center for swimming to pronounce ever.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer