• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Football Recruiting

Started by covufan, January 07, 2015, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

I know it is an NCAA quiet period, but has anyone heard anything about Cecchini's second recruiting class?

Rivals had these names:

Tommy Whitted
Winter Park, Florida
Winter Park
6'1" 225 N/A
2 stars

ATH
William James
Chicago, Illinois
Morgan Park
6'1" 206

WR
Jake Matkovich
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Marquette University
6'5" 175

LB
Denis Mucha
Paramus, New Jersey
Paramus Catholic
6'1" 235

WR
Shaun Rankin
Dublin, Ohio
Coffman
5'9" 155

VULB#62

The FB program had a bunch of recruits in for a visit this weekend.  Hopefully they got to the MBB game -- that's a 'seller' with over 4K screaming Valpo fans (and a VU win!)

VULB#62

This past weekend produced 7 commits -- 3 from Florida.  See  https://twitter.com/valpoufootball

IndyValpo

Here is who I have found to date...
http://247sports.com/Player/Josmar-Diaz-Martinez-35934
http://247sports.com/Player/Danzel-King-52898

Someone who searches better might be able to confirm the following who appear to have committed:

AJ Hunt RB FL flipped to West Fla
Alex Ng K FL
Chris Mercer WR MI
John Antkiewicz LB FL
Jay Brower TE MI
Andrew Lundberg OL/DL IL
Jesse Studyvin DL MO
Keegan Stidam DL IN
Brady Sullivan OL WS
Mike Wheeler DB/WR MD

IndyValpo

LaPorteAveApostle

Nice!  The Andrean QB!  That's a great find.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Maybe a little undersized,in today's world, and perhaps why he was interested in Valpo.  Nonetheless, he appears to be able to make all the throws as well as being a genuine running threat.  Now, I'd like to get some of his receivers to come with him!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

A few more:

Jake Ievy C IN
Davis Harbin LB FL
Matthew Messler LB NC
Griffin Norberg TE FL

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo64

At this point of the off season, how does the list of Coach C's recruits stack up against last year's group?

valp094

Coach Stovall tweeted they had 22 commits earlier today-Monday February 2.  Coach Giacalone then tweeted they added another.  So, it looks like they have 23 commits to date. Here are a couple recent commits:

Legend Choudhry RB/WR 
Ryan Dugan WR
Mikey Roth QB MI

wh

Quote from: valp094 on February 02, 2015, 03:27:37 PM
Coach Stovall tweeted they had 22 commits earlier today-Monday February 2.  Coach Giacalone then tweeted they added another.  So, it looks like they have 23 commits to date. Here are a couple recent commits:

Legend Choudhry RB/WR 
Ryan Dugan WR
Mikey Roth QB MI

Looks like a serious contender at QB:

Mikey Roth '15 QB Early Season Highlights

vu72

I did a little research on all three.  Legend Choudhry (great name), is a 5'9" running back who will play wide receiver for us.  He runs a 4.48 40 and is from Channelview, Texas.  Ryan dugan is also 5'10" and comes from Weston, Florida.  As for Mickey Roth, he may be great (ala David Macchi) but is only 5'11".  Today's QBs are more likely 6'3" or taller
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Just a thought:

The photo posted above by wh is a good example of the type of landscaping and brick work that could be done around Brown Field.  Many improvements have been done, thanks to the efforts of ml and others, but the landscaping needs attention.  I'm a big believer in what my interior-decorator wife would refer to as "the presentation."  It makes a difference. 

Paul

VULB#62

Love it!!!  We can't get past much without dragging facilities into the fray.    ;D   78, I have already pestered ML about the fencing from the outset and proposed almost exactly what you see in the background of the tape.  He acknowledged that what is there now was just to get the facility quickly fenced in --  get it functioning and then come back and "pretty it up" later -- but there has to be a later.

Regarding the young man (Mikey Roth) in the tape:  He looked tough -- took some hits at the release of the ball and still completed the passes, and he runs really well.  For D-I, however, he may be converted to something else -- ala Julian Edelman coming out of Kent State to the Pats. Do like his scrambling ability though.  Reminds me of Dave Lass (1963 ICC champs QB) in some ways and if he brings back memories of Macchi, that's not too shabby either.  Russell Wilson is just a shade over 6'0" isn't he and so is Breeze?  Then there is Flutie at 5'10.  I love (if he's mine) and hate (if he's yours) QBs who can stretch the field and improvise.  Have to hand it to Ben this past year for bringing mobility  to the QB position -- it helped us be competitive  all season.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2015, 05:00:41 PMRussell Wilson is just a shade over 6'0" isn't he and so is Breeze?
In an interview this past weekend, Wilson admitted to being 5'11" with his longer hair - that is why he is keeping it longer!  Probably just over 5'10".  Brees is probably just under 6'0". 

IndyValpo

Here are 23 names I could find
QB Jake Paliga IN
QB Mikey Roth MI
RB/WR Legend Choudhra TX
WR Keenan Franz IN
WR Chris Mercer MI
WR Ryan Dugan FL
WR Cole Moxie FL
TE Jay Browder MI
TE Griffin Norberg FL
OL Brady Sullivan WI
OL Jake Iery IN
OL/DL Andrew Lundberg IL
OL Shannon Taliaferro IL
DL Jesse Studyvin MO
DL Keegan Stidham IN
LB Matthew Messler NC
LB John Antkiewicz FL
LB Danzel King FL
LB Davis Harbin FL
DB Kyle Dye IL
DB Josmar Diaz FL
DB/WR Mike Wheeler MD
K   Alex Ng FL

This looks like a real good group. If we can land some more size up front that would be great. Keegan Franz was considered the top WR in Indiana last season.

historyman

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 02, 2015, 09:20:02 PMWR Keegan Franz IN

That's actually Keenan Franz from Bloomington South.

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 02, 2015, 09:20:02 PMOL Brady Sullivan WS

Is Brady Sullivan from Wisconsin, which would be WI, or from the state of Washington, which would be WA?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

IndyValpo

Quote from: historyman on February 02, 2015, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on February 02, 2015, 09:20:02 PMWR Keegan Franz IN

That's actually Keenan Franz from Bloomington South.

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 02, 2015, 09:20:02 PMOL Brady Sullivan WS

Is Brady Sullivan from Wisconsin, which would be WI, or from the state of Washington, which would be WA?

Thanks, I updated the list which may have many similar errors. I typed these in last night while watching my favorite comedy TV show The Bachelor.

VULB#62

VU FB Twitter site hints at 27 signees (so far) and the names will be released tomorrow or Thursday.  Last year they did a page by page Twitter reveal.  It will be interesting to see how they do it this year.

IndyValpo

Vincent Giacalone retweeted
Valpo Football @valpoufootball  ยท  36m 36 minutes ago
Tomorrow beginning at Noon CST, and every 10 min thereafter, we will introduce a member of our #NSD2015 class to the public. #ATTITUDE

Oghbeicae9

New member here! How many more recruits are needed to complete the 2015 class? Looks like 2 or 3 additional RBs would be a good idea?

;)

valpopal

I thought I'd place this here: the 2015 football schedule has been released: http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/schedule/2015-16/#.VNDkjNLF-yU

VULB#62

Welcome aboard, Oghbeicae9.  Are you, per chance, related to OB1Canobie?   ;)

Some history:

Under the previous regime (that went 3 and 41), the recruiting classes averaged around 30.  Last year, Cecchini's staff, understandably, got a late start and signed around 20 and then lost a few between signing and the start of camp.  This year their goals are a larger class and retain a greater percentage by preseason camp.  The obvious turn around that occurred in 2014 should help the staff achieve those recruiting goals, not to mention make Valpo more attractive to more talented players than in the past.