• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 valpo hockey

Started by Valpo_Hockey, January 20, 2015, 08:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Oakland is looking into starting a men's & women's hockey teams. Jealous. It would be a fun sport for Valpo to add. Only problem is its really expensive and not sure where the teams would play.
https://twitter.com/TonyPaul1984/status/920024300811321344

VULB#62

And its season would overlap and compete with MBB for fan backing.  I still like lacrosse as a better alternative  -- more players on the roster, significantly less equipment expense, already existing fields on campus (We often have a hard time getting students to the ARC. Does anyone think they would drive to an ice arena somewhere off campus?), significantly fewer games (collegiate hockey teams play on average 30-36 regular season games; Lacrosse teams play around 15).

If Detroit Mercy can be used as a template, here was their 2017 schedule.  It might serve as an example of what Valpo might have to do.

2/11/17 @ Ohio State
2/15/17 Michigan (Pontiac MI - Ultimate Soccer Arena)
2/18/17 Mercer (at Lexington KY)
2/23/17 Jacksonville (Pontiac MI - Ultimate Soccer Arena)
2/25/17 @Robert Morris (PA)
3/3/17 Bellarmine (@ Marquette U)
3/5/17 @Marquette
3/11/17 @ USAF Academy
MAAC Conference Games
3/18/17 Manhattan (Titan Field)
3/26/17 @Quinnipiac (CT)
4/1/17 @ Sienna (NY)
4/8/17 Canisius
4/15/17 Monmouth
4/22/17 @ Marist
4/29/17 @ Cleveland State (Yes! That Cleveland State)
5/5/17 MAAC Championship

Actually, if Valpo started a Lacrosse program, that might be enough to put together a midwest version of the MAAC (Detroit Mercy, Cleveland State, Valpo and maybe 3 more midwest independents).  Still a lot of travel though.

valpo64

With all of Valpo's needs for improved facilities and program upgrades in so many areas, that's all we need is to add  a sport that would drain money, no matter how small the amount.  Add lacrosse, or hockey, continue the swimming program...and all we hear about is the lack of parking facilities for a revenue producing sport, MBB.  It's called priorities! 

p.s. however it would be cool to have a hockey program.    :)

valpo64

Wow!  If Oakland would add hockey, the "King"  would have to play a good number of top Div. 1 MBB  games each year to pay for the hockey programs.  Perhaps he could start a promotion during the b-ball season home games, "Bucks for Pucks".

vu84v2

Hockey and Lacrosse are both 'wealthy people' sports. Hockey would cost a ton and be a huge financial burden for Valpo - so any thought of that should be immediately dismissed. Lacrosse (which I know nothing about) could be an interesting addition that might not cost that much, and could be done at the men and women's level. It could be used to attract additional students.

crusader05

If Valpo expands to any sport I would definitely put money on Lacrosse over Hockey. Could open up some recruiting towards the east coast but would depend on if there are enough teams in a nearby conference to make it feasible

vu72

The only D1 schools close by that play LaCrosse are Butler (Men's and Women's), Notre Dame (both) and Northwestern (Women's)

LaCrosse is a big time East Coast sport.  Hockey is more of a Midwest, Northern, Upper East Coast sport but would be majorly expensive.  Not going to happen other than possibly at the club level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2017, 01:29:55 PM
The only D1 schools close by that play LaCrosse are Butler (Men's and Women's), Notre Dame (both) and Northwestern (Women's)

LaCrosse is a big time East Coast sport.  Hockey is more of a Midwest, Northern, Upper East Coast sport but would be majorly expensive.  Not going to happen other than possibly at the club level.

Slight correction:  Butler does not field a men's lacrosse team.  Somewhere I remember a similar discussion and someone mentioned that they use to have men's lacrosse but dropped it a while ago.  Checking their athletics website confirmed it.

Extending the radius around Valpo a bit to ~300 miles.......
Marquette (148) is the only Big East lacrosse school out of the 6 schools who play (this includes Denver which is a lacrosse affiliate). 
UDM (246) and Cleveland State (306) are the only Horizon teams and Cleveland State just finished it's inaugural season this past spring (more below).
Of the 6 schools in the B1G only Michigan (205) and OSU (272) are inside that radius
The A-10 only sponsors women's lacrosse

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 17, 2017, 01:02:28 PM
Hockey and Lacrosse are both 'wealthy people' sports. Hockey would cost a ton and be a huge financial burden for Valpo - so any thought of that should be immediately dismissed. Lacrosse (which I know nothing about) could be an interesting addition that might not cost that much, and could be done at the men and women's level. It could be used to attract additional students.

That's a good point. It would mean more tuition-per player-generated.  The NCAA limits lacrosse to 12.6 scholarship equivalents for men and 12 for women. So some athletic aid could be used, but with higher income levels among parents, there still would probably be an upswing in funds coming into Valpo rather than going out.

About CSU lacrosse: They had 43 on the men's roster, all but one were freshmen and sophomores. They played what looks to be a 16 game independent schedule (they were 5-9 -- 2 were cancelled)  that included 3 against B1G teams and 2 against ACC teams.  The schedule included competition against 5 nationally ranked teams.  They gave up 20 or more goals just once.  Not bad for a young, inexperienced first year team.

usc4valpo

Let's be serious - I understand the cost difference, but many more will be engaged with hockey than lacrosse. Too bad it is only a dream.

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 18, 2017, 05:05:16 AM
Let's be serious - I understand the cost difference, but many more will be engaged with hockey than lacrosse. Too bad it is only a dream.

I would have thought the same, but Marquette was drawing 1,000+ for lacrosse matches before they moved into their temporary dome, which limited attendance to 500.

Louisville also plays lacrosse and they would be within 300 miles.

Dave_2010

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 18, 2017, 09:59:56 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 18, 2017, 05:05:16 AM

I would have thought the same, but Marquette was drawing 1,000+ for lacrosse matches before they moved into their temporary dome, which limited attendance to 500.

Louisville also plays lacrosse and they would be within 300 miles.

As another point of reference, the Cleveland State lacrosse team draws as well as or better than its men's soccer team.

The NCAA hockey landscape is well settled right now. Penn State is the only program in recent memory to break in with any hope sustainable success (and that came courtesy of millions of dollars from the Pegulas.

High School Lacrosse is spreading quickly across the upper Midwest. If we can be one of the early adopters regionally, we can establish ourselves as an impact program regionally before any more major regional players establish themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU75

Am I the only person who thinks that Las Vegas is wearing Valpo uniforms?