• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Celebrating the Life of David Schroeder

Started by agibson, January 28, 2015, 12:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

"Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life ... if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him."
—Romans 6:4, 8

Today we lost a beloved member of the Valparaiso University community, David Schroeder.

Dave joined the College of Business in 1988 and served as associate professor of information and decision sciences. He retired in May 2014 and continued to serve the University as an adjunct faculty member this past fall. His wife, Phyllis Larson '69 Schroeder, joined Valpo in 1989 and retired from her position as director of financial aid in July 2012. Together, they have touched countless lives of Valpo students, alumni, faculty, and staff.

A Christ College student, Dave attended Valpo from 1967–1970 and was editor-in-chief of The Torch in 1969. He and Phyllis married in January 1970, and in 1971 Dave received his Bachelor of Arts from Oklahoma State University, before going on to earn his master's and Ph.D., also from Oklahoma State University.

After returning to Valpo in 1988 as a member of the College of Business faculty, he served on the Faculty Senate as both chair and vice chair, on the University Council as chair, and for nearly two decades as University Marshal. He and Phyllis together served the Chapel of the Resurrection as assisting ministers and on the residential ministry staff and Sunday Morning Prayer team. They also served as advisors to Alliance, the LGBTQ campus organization.

Service arrangements and details will be made available at a later time.

Dave was an exemplary model in the ways in which he led and served in both church and society. He encouraged others to pursue their vocations and his love for the Valpo community was inspiring and contagious. He will truly be missed.

Dave's legacy will endure through the lives he has touched. As a University community, our thoughts and prayers are with Phyllis and all of Dave's friends and family during this time of mourning.

Sincerely,
Mark A. Heckler, Ph.D.
President

vu72

Very sad.  A relatively young guy who had a great impact on many students as he was a long serving professor.  I actually remember him as we were on the campus at the same time, though he was a little older.  Isn't this the second business prof to pass away in the recent past.  Was this a sudden passing or the end of a struggle?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

agibson, do you know the reason for his passing, or is this a part of the details we will receive when service times are announced?

I had this weird feeling something was up this morning when I saw a Facebook post frm Greg Bohlken, a Valpo grad, and former Admissions staff member, saying something about Dave, and a picture, but I didn't ask, thinking it was a case where Dave and Greg saw each other recently. My prayers to Phyllis and family in this time of grief. Dave was definitely a great man, professor, and servant of the church and Chapel of the Resurrection.

talksalot

Dave and Phyllis were on a cruise celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary, and he had a massive heart attack.  They were/are travelling with friends so Phyllis is not alone.  All reports say the Cruise line is doing all they can in this trying time.   They were able to renew their vows at sea yesterday with the Ship's Captain.