• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Howard Moore fired from UIC

Started by a3uge, March 10, 2015, 11:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Wow.  I didn't think they would after the mini-run in the tourney, but they pulled the trigger!

I'll have no moore of that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Seems like a really nice guy but I can't believe he survived three 20 loss seasons. Probably bought him an extra year.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

Not surprised by this firing.

So far there are six:

THE CITADEL (Southern Conference)- Fired Chuck Driesell (5 seasons; 11-19 this season, 31-94 at The Citadel).
HOLY CROSS (Patriot League)- Fired Milan Brown (5 seasons; 14-16 this season, 69-83 at Holy Cross).
ILLINOIS-CHICAGO (Horizon League)- Fired Howard Moore (5 seasons; 10-24 this season, 49-111 at UIC).
LIBERTY (Big South Conference)- Fired Dale Layer (6 seasons; 8-24 this season, 82-113 at Liberty).
UTAH STATE (Mountain West Conference)- Stew Morrill announced his retirement at the end of the season (17 seasons; 18-11 this year, 411-160 at Utah State).
UTAH VALLEY (Western Athletic Conference)- Dick Hunsacker announced he would step down at end of academic year (6 seasons; 11-15 this year, 96-87 at Utah Valley).

usc4valpo

More to come...I wonder if DePaul will pull the trigger on Purnell

justducky

Quote from: covufan on March 10, 2015, 12:33:00 PMUTAH STATE (Mountain West Conference)- Stew Morrill announced his retirement at the end of the season (17 seasons; 18-11 this year, 411-160 at Utah State).
The eyeball test would suggest that this gentleman might not have been fired but maybe 18- 11 was far below their expectations.

VU75

covufan

Quote from: VU75 on March 10, 2015, 04:03:12 PM
Roger Powell?
I'm sure he will be on the list - Possibly the short list.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: covufan on March 10, 2015, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: VU75 on March 10, 2015, 04:03:12 PMRoger Powell?
I'm sure he will be on the list - Possibly the short list.

Even better if Powell were on the tall list. Howard Moore was no short dude either.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

ValpoHoops

Quote from: justducky on March 10, 2015, 01:41:39 PM
Quote from: covufan on March 10, 2015, 12:33:00 PMUTAH STATE (Mountain West Conference)- Stew Morrill announced his retirement at the end of the season (17 seasons; 18-11 this year, 411-160 at Utah State).
The eyeball test would suggest that this gentleman might not have been fired but maybe 18- 11 was far below their expectations.

He announced very early in the season that this would be his last. He had "Homer" type tenure there. He would have had to do something inappropriate to get fired.

valpopal

Word is that UIC will announce hiring Indiana Assistant Coach Steve McClain, a former head coach at Wyoming, to replace Howard Moore.

bbtds

What makes a former head coach that dropped to asst in the B1G any better than Moore. Moore had been at Wisconsin under Bo Ryan.

I can't see this being an improvement. It seems like the same for UIC. Does McClain have any connections to Chicago?

a3uge

Same process expecting different results.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

covufan

According to ESPN, Ben Howland will become the new coach at Mississippi State:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12543817/ben-howland-finalizing-contract-become-mississippi-state-bulldogs-coach

This site also has Bryce in the running:

https://collegesportsinfo.com/2015/03/05/2015-college-basketball-coaching-changes/

My guess is that he is only mentioned because he interviewed there three years ago. 

If I were Bradley, I'd be looking at Powell.  Although, it appears they are looking for someone with HC experience.

Kyle321n

Ben Howland would have been a great hire at DePaul. I like his hire at Mississippi St. as it doesn't take a mid-major coach from the ranks and it means DePaul could still poach a Brian Wardle or someone of that ilk.  Bryce isn't going to DePaul.

covufan

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 23, 2015, 01:14:51 PMBryce isn't going to DePaul.

I don't see an opening out there that entice Bryce leave Valpo.

ValpoHoops

Since we are on the topic of coaching changes all around here, I will throw out that Alabama is expecting to make a strong push for Gregg Marshall from Wichita State.

The school is prepared to offer $3 million as a starting offer, plus discuss facility upgrades that an incoming coach would like to see happen. Nick Saban is also expected to be part of the pitch. One other perk the school may have is that the school owns the multi-million dollar home that Saban lives in, free of charge (he doesn't pay any maintenance charges either, according to reports). It was built to Saban's liking by the school, funded by boosters. That would be one hell of a perk for any incoming coach...."Here's your new house, just the way you wanted it. And, its free as long as you're the coach...or as long as you do a great job and we are happy with you when you retire."

That would leave Wichita State open...which would be an extremely intriguing position on a national level.

Kyle321n

Marshall would be a fool to leave Wichita St, where he's a god, to move to Alabama, a school with a horrid basketball reputation and one that only cares about football. He's got a national championship caliber team and while he may get paid more I don't think he lives it up quite as well anywhere outside of Wichita.

Also Bryce wouldn't go to Wichita. In my mind it's got to be a private religious institution or the IU job if he leaves. And I don't think IU wants to try out a middling mid-major coach right now, they'd go for big time splash.

agibson

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 23, 2015, 03:46:38 PMNick Saban is also expected to be part of the pitch.

Like, Saban's going to mow the lawn of the new basketball coach?  Give him advice on elementary schools?  Talk about the quality Germany bakery in town?

One other perk the school may have is that the school owns the multi-million dollar home that Saban lives in, free of charge (he doesn't pay any maintenance charges either, according to reports). It was built to Saban's liking by the school, funded by boosters. That would be one hell of a perk for any incoming coach...."Here's your new house, just the way you wanted it. And, its free as long as you're the coach...or as long as you do a great job and we are happy with you when you retire."

Heck of a perk.  Let us build you  a dream house, and loan it to you.  Then, when we fire you we can simultaneously evict you.

LaPorteAveApostle

I dunno, guys, but how many of you, if offered at least twice your salary to go do what you do elsewhere, would turn it down?

As the only person here to have lived in Tuscaloosa, I think it an amazing place to live.  Plus the support of sport is unparalleled, and as a Wolverine I say so grudgingly.  Only two schools in the conference scare you, so it can be had, plus, as FB is king, you have time to work out the program.

I'd do it, with a 10-year contract, of course.

usc4valpo

Jobs are opening, but I doubt Bryce will bite into any of these positions for now. Maybe in a couple of years but not now. And he is smart enough not to bite for the bogus DePaul job.

The Bama job also allows you to meet some prestigious fans such as Phyllis from Mulga and the Paul Finebaum cesspool. Either way, for Bama to bring this crap up while Marshall is coaching his team in the Sweet 16 is rather tacky. But hey, it is the almighty SEC and we all must bow to them.

As for Marshall, He should wait for a bigger opportunity like Texas or Kansas - who knows what will happen to Barnes or Self.

Another position that may come up is Iowa State - there is momentum that Hoiberg is the top candidate for the Chicago Bulls next head coach.

mvandersee

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2015, 06:10:10 PMI dunno, guys, but how many of you, if offered at least twice your salary to go do what you do elsewhere, would turn it down?
Marshall is already making $1.75 million in base salary with over $750,000 available in bonuses and performance incentives ($2.5 mil possible), so the $3-4 million range that Alabama is discussing isn't that large of a jump because (a) he's got a lot more job security and an established track record at WSU than Bama, (b) WSU would surely get an opportunity to match a salary increase if that's what he's after (which I think he values other things like winning a lot more). He would certainly have to decide between competing for Final Fours and potential National Championships in the next couple of years at WSU or taking on a rebuilding project which many others have taken on but has not seen much progress in the past couple decades. I think a lot of the media seems to ignore that he turned down a similar big money offer at Mizzou last year (a program that has been in a similar state to Alabama's over the last few seasons) along with staying at WSU after having talks with NC State and UCLA in recent years.

Also, here's a recent CBS article that goes pretty in depth about his situation at WSU and how he perceives other jobs: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/feature/25110905/marshalls-plan

I agree with others that have said they don't think Bryce will leave for Depaul. The Chicago recruiting connection certainly has to be intriguing from Depaul's end, but I don't see him leaving this current group of Crusaders for any of the jobs that have opened up.