• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA Chatter

Started by agibson, March 19, 2015, 01:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

I don't see another thread for random non-Valpo NCAA chatter.  So, I guess this is that.

a3uge

That was the most anticlimactic ending for the first game.

agibson

14 seed UAB is within 2 of Iowa State, with minutes to play... and this is on _truTV_?

I wonder what fraction of households get truTV?  I saw that was where the play-in games was sent, but didn't realize they were going to have "real" games there.

I trust the NCAA's still doing good, free streaming?

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 19, 2015, 01:27:54 PM

I'm only seeing scores.  This was ND?  Won by 4?  I'd hoped it was exciting, but not so?

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on March 19, 2015, 01:37:05 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 19, 2015, 01:27:54 PM

I'm only seeing scores.  This was ND?  Won by 4?  I'd hoped it was exciting, but not so?

ND tried the home run play up 2 with 30 seconds left but threw it out of bounds. Northeastern held the ball for the last shot (something I disagree with) but ended up fumbling it and turning it over to ND. After a quick foul, ND sank both free throws with 2 seconds left.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

covufan

Quote from: agibson on March 19, 2015, 01:36:28 PMI wonder what fraction of households get truTV? 
I believe if you get TBS and TNT, you'll get truTV. 

valpospartan

Quote from: agibson on March 19, 2015, 01:36:28 PM
14 seed UAB is within 2 of Iowa State, with minutes to play... and this is on _truTV_?

I wonder what fraction of households get truTV?  I saw that was where the play-in games was sent, but didn't realize they were going to have "real" games there.

I trust the NCAA's still doing good, free streaming?

CBS used truTV, TBS & TNT for games last year, also.   truTV is on Comcast & Bright House basic and digital packages.

LaPorteAveApostle

man, we'd have beaten Iowa State so hard, but I am so happy for UAB after all their athletic dept has been put through this year.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on March 19, 2015, 01:47:18 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 19, 2015, 01:36:28 PMI wonder what fraction of households get truTV? 

Its been like that for awhile now. I always write the number and channel in sharpie on a piece of paper and tape them on the wall above my TV. I think the games used to be carried by CBS sub stations like 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 etc.

Kyle321n

Down goes Baylor. Good day to be a mid-major, bad day to be a Big 12 team.

Guys the Mizzou loss is looking REALLY bad if the top teams in the Big 12 are falling like flies. We're still talking about how that hurt our RPI right?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 19, 2015, 02:54:40 PM

Guys the Mizzou loss is looking REALLY bad if the top teams in the Big 12 are falling like flies. We're still talking about how that hurt our RPI right?
Maybe I misread what you are trying to say but Mizzou moved to the SEC.

Kyle321n

Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2015, 03:00:01 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on March 19, 2015, 02:54:40 PM

Maybe I misread what you are trying to say but Mizzou moved to the SEC.

Stupid realignment ruining a perfectly good joke. Let's pretend that it's 2010 and realignment hasn't ruined my ability to name who is in what conference. West Virginia is still in the Big East, not in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

78crusader

The impact of the excessive number of timeouts is magnified in these NCAA tourney games.  They totally disrupt the flow of the game and make them much less enjoyable to watch.

Paul

a3uge

Valpo18

I didn't like the call at first, but after seeing the replays I thought it was the right call. UCLA shouldn't have been in the tournament in the first place and they are probably going to end up in the Sweet 16

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 19, 2015, 02:04:31 PM
Its been like that for awhile now. I always write the number and channel in sharpie on a piece of paper and tape them on the wall above my TV. I think the games used to be carried by CBS sub stations like 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 etc.

Same as your TV subscriptions. If you have Tru-tv, TNT and TBS on your TV system then you can watch those channels on your computer by providing the name of your internet provider and the website will check if you are subscribed. CBS is free no matter what TV subscription you currently have.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

I feel good for Ron Hunter and the players at Georgia State. Ron Hunter seems to be a character yet a decent guy.

agibson

Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2015, 05:45:29 PMSame as your TV subscriptions. If you have Tru-tv, TNT and TBS on your TV system then you can watch those channels on your computer by providing the name of your internet provider and the website will check if you are subscribed. CBS is free no matter what TV subscription you currently have.

I'll have to check for truTV - must be up in the stratosphere some where.  Online, I was thinking of their own web page, used to be CBS March Madness On Demand or some such.  Used to be that was free for everyone, TV package or no package.

But, yeah, since I do currently have cable I could also just watch the various channels directly, rather than through a NCAA-specific page.

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 19, 2015, 06:07:35 PM
I feel good for Ron Hunter and the players at Georgia State. Ron Hunter seems to be a character yet a decent guy.

I suppose I won't forget which team RJ plays for now!  But, yeah, I was at _least_ always pleased with Ron's Samaritan's Feet enthusiasm.

I've not seen the replay yet, or even read more than a one sentence description.  But... Scott Drew was upset... by the coach's son... hitting a 3... at the buzzer?  Really?

You wonder how this is going to affect Bryce, tomorrow!

historyman

Quote from: agibson on March 19, 2015, 07:40:51 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2015, 05:45:29 PMSame as your TV subscriptions. If you have Tru-tv, TNT and TBS on your TV system then you can watch those channels on your computer by providing the name of your internet provider and the website will check if you are subscribed. CBS is free no matter what TV subscription you currently have.
I'll have to check for truTV - must be up in the stratosphere some where.  Online, I was thinking of their own web page, used to be CBS March Madness On Demand or some such.  Used to be that was free for everyone, TV package or no package. But, yeah, since I do currently have cable I could also just watch the various channels directly, rather than through a NCAA-specific page.

The CBS March Madness On Demand website knows who you are--not sure exactly how it works--and if you give them your TV system provider they can check if your subscription includes TNT, Tru-tv and TBS. Time Warner doesn't give anything away for free.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2015, 08:15:34 PMThe CBS March Madness On Demand website knows who you are--not sure exactly how it works--and if you give them your TV system provider they can check if your subscription includes TNT, Tru-tv and TBS. Time Warner doesn't give anything away for free.

Ah, I wonder if this is new?  My recollection, from France at least, was that it was just true.  Seemed almost too good to be true.  Maybe it's only outside the US.  (Justin Pahl suggested that NCAA basketball hasn't hit it big in Turkey, even if the NBA's popular.)

historyman

Quote from: agibson on March 19, 2015, 08:46:10 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2015, 08:15:34 PMThe CBS March Madness On Demand website knows who you are--not sure exactly how it works--and if you give them your TV system provider they can check if your subscription includes TNT, Tru-tv and TBS. Time Warner doesn't give anything away for free.
Ah, I wonder if this is new?  My recollection, from France at least, was that it was just true.  Seemed almost too good to be true.  Maybe it's only outside the US.  (Justin Pahl suggested that NCAA basketball hasn't hit it big in Turkey, even if the NBA's popular.)

I apologize. Either I have a TV system that pays this for me, Comcast X-finity, or what the website said was incorrect. I'm sorry for misleading everybody. I'm currently able to watch SFA/Utah on my computer and I don't have Tru-tv on my TV system. 

EDIT:

How can I watch all live games?
TV subscribers can enjoy unlimited and uninterrupted access to every live game as part of their TV provider subscription by logging in with their username and password. Fans can also enjoy a complimentary live video pass before log in is required.

This game (SFA/Utah) could be my pass so it may not continue.

SECOND EDIT:
I'm able to also watch the LSU/NC State game on TBS (no subsciption to TBS) so whatever the reason I am watching channels on my computer that I don't usually get on my TV.

agibson

And, indeed, with Valpo Comcast not-too-special package cable I do have truTV.  Not in the stratosphere.  In the 70's, near HGTV, NBCSP.  SFA not going to do it.

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on March 19, 2015, 02:04:31 PM

My DVR finds it for me.

usc4valpo

Pac 12 and Big 10 are playing well in the tournament.