• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA Chatter

Started by agibson, March 19, 2015, 01:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo18

Excited for the Butler ND game today. I heard that Roosevelt Jones sprained his knee against Texas but will play. Butler is going to need his defense at 100% if they are going to stand a chance against ND's offense. I can see it as a blow out win in favor of ND or a close game in favor of Butler.

vu84v2

Butler - Notre Dame was a great game. Both teams played great, but Notre Dame hit the shots in overtime.

OK, I don't show my other loyalty here much, but - Rock Chalk Jayhawk

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 22, 2015, 11:07:12 AMButler - Notre Dame was a great game. Both teams played great, but Notre Dame hit the shots in overtime. OK, I don't show my other loyalty here much, but - Rock Chalk Jayhawk

You need these:

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 22, 2015, 11:07:12 AM
Butler - Notre Dame was a great game. Both teams played great, but Notre Dame hit the shots in overtime.

Loved every second of the Kansas defeat. The same KU top dog mentality that is the norm for the big boys is bad for college basketball.

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on March 22, 2015, 12:35:36 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 22, 2015, 11:07:12 AMButler - Notre Dame was a great game. Both teams played great, but Notre Dame hit the shots in overtime. OK, I don't show my other loyalty here much, but - Rock Chalk Jayhawk

You need these:

That must have been a shocker for you, vu84v2.

a3uge

Love how completely outmatched and outworked Kansas looked.

valporun

Guys, the NCAA has the March Madness On Demand site at http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness. Here, you can get every game live or on demand, and if you can't watch, you can access the Westwood One radio coverage from the site as well. No need to go searching individual station websites for this. What sucks is that there aren't ads about this being shown during the games as a friendly reminder to those who can't watch on tv somewhere.

vu84v2

Glad that justducky and a3uge enjoyed the KU - Wichita State game so much. While I am not sure that KU was outmatched, they were indeed outworked. Perhaps they were indeed outmatched on maturity.

By the way, is Valpo's top dog mentality bad for the Horizon League? Perhaps Valpo should not be confident about their chances in the Horizon League next year.

StlVUFan

Quote from: justducky on March 22, 2015, 06:37:47 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 22, 2015, 11:07:12 AM

Loved every second of the Kansas defeat. The same KU top dog mentality that is the norm for the big boys is bad for college basketball.
The @rockchalkjayhawk twitter feed was absolutely hilarious yesterday.

usc4valpo

Louisville was excellent against UNI. UNI fans have been complaining about the officiating but Louisville was better overall. They are a long shot sleeper to win it all.

I may be off here, UCLA against Gonzaga is an intriguing matchup as the Bruins are currnently on a roll.

Wichita St. - ND will be a decent match too.

I look forward to what I think will be the best tournament game - Zona vs. Wisco.

vu84v2

Glad that several people seemed to enjoy Kansas' loss and then enjoyed the small minority of fans that post their frustration on a website. They seem to make their appearances on talk radio too. Suffice it to say, most people here groaned at the loss and then quickly moved on. Lawrence is one of the best college basketball towns in the country and the majority of people see the players as someone from the community,with the exception of players who go off and do stupid things (e.g., Naadir Tharpe, Connor Frankamp).

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 23, 2015, 09:02:35 PMthe majority of people see the players as someone from the community
until their new dorm gets finished, with its electric fences, battlements, and moat infested with ill-tempered sea bass

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-10-03/kansas-basketball-dorm-photos-new-video-renderings-cost

New KU dorm
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

that is very Oregonesque - who plays the role of Phil Knight at Kansas? Are where is the office for the Calculus tutor?

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2015, 09:27:19 PMuntil their new dorm gets finished, with its electric fences, battlements, and moat infested with ill-tempered sea bass
That rendering video is really interesting.  Do the players get to have any kind of a college or campus experience?  Do the professors come to them for classes? Never realized that Kansas was the bastion of isolationist political thinking that it must be.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

I know it was NIT but I have seen no mention of the Murray St game. A complete lopsided blowout with Tulsa never really in the game. I dozed off several times in the last 10 minutes but I believe it was a 21 point margin with MSU up at one time by 26. I watched Tulsa a bit in their conference tournament and assumed on their home floor they would win by 5. MSU really put it to them. Makes you wonder if Tulsa belonged on that bubble.

vu84v2

Men's and women's basketball players at Kansas are currently in a dorm where they are half of the total population. The new dorm will have the same ratio of basketball players to other students. There are no classes offered in any dorm and the basketball players, like all students, will need to go to classes in other buildings. While the new dorm is opulent (to say the least), it is being funded by outside donations. The dorm that I believe Valpo's players live in is likely better than the current dorm for KU players, but obviously this will be way above anything most private schools could do.

There are a variety of donors that fill the Phil Knight role, though I doubt that any of them donate as much as Knight does to Oregon. David Booth, who also donated money for the new rules of basketball, the new business building and (I believe) about $100M to the University of Chicago School of Business, is the most recognized of those donors.

There will be no fences, battlements or moats with ill-tempered sea bass.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 24, 2015, 05:53:45 PMThere will be no fences, battlements or moats with ill-tempered sea bass.
:(

I was hoping for some naming opportunities, like "The Elden & Mary T. Smith Memorial High-Voltage Fence" and "The T. Marv & Gardens Sea Bass Hatchery"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 24, 2015, 09:10:07 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 24, 2015, 05:53:45 PMThere will be no fences, battlements or moats with ill-tempered sea bass.
:(

I was hoping for some naming opportunities, like "The Elden & Mary T. Smith Memorial High-Voltage Fence" and "The T. Marv & Gardens Sea Bass Hatchery"

My thinking was more in the lines of Rock Chalk Moat and McDonalds All-American Castle.

vu84v2

I would prefer the "Dr Evil moat of ill-tempered sea bass". You might need a fence to go with the moat, since the new business building is about 50 yards from the new dorm.

justducky

I really felt for West Virginia and was almost glad we hadn't found our way to the sweet sixteen. Bob Huggins' walking the sideline in hopeless befuddlement is painful just to recall. I wouldn't have wanted to see Bryce placed in that situation. As good as we will be next year lets keep Kentucky off the schedule. Those guys should be limited to NBA opponents.

talksalot

With the United Center as a Regional Site for the NCAA next year... we may have teams lined up willing to play us there... like Kentucky...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on March 27, 2015, 09:21:06 AMwe may have teams lined up willing to play us there... like Kentucky...
AND before you say "why would you want that" Kentucky being Kentucky, it will be a completely different roster next year!

although still stocked/stacked with McD's all americans, no doubt.