• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Basketball Coaching Changes

Started by covufan, March 24, 2015, 02:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

I was surprised by the timing of the ASU job:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12551144/herb-sendek-fired-arizona-state-sun-devils-men-basketball-coach

A few hours ago he was just going to be meeting with the AD.  He has now been fired and an offer (supposedly) has already been made to Jeff Capel.

LaPorteAveApostle

Is it too soon to blame Richie Edwards?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Bryce Drew to Arizona State. Done deal. Valpo and ASU are essentially the same environment.

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 24, 2015, 09:02:41 PM
Is it too soon to blame Richie Edwards?
Too soon, too late, don't care?!?!?!

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2015, 09:10:36 PM
Bryce Drew to Arizona State. Done deal. Valpo and ASU are essentially the same environment.
I know this was tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't blame most young coaches for going to a PAC-12 program like ASU or an SEC program like Alabama.  I think Bryce is driven by things other than $$$ and prestige.  I really believe that he is in it to build something special at Valpo, and to bring talented young men to work together as a team or family unit.  When the local media has interviewed some of the players, it seems that a common theme is that these players had found a home here at Valpo; they fit in and flourished both academically and on the court with their teammates, where they all seem to become very close friends.  I think Bryce really feeds off of this accomplishment, and takes much deserved pride in providing the environment (following the legacy of his father) for these relationships. 

I think one of the problems that some coaches may face when moving up to a power conference is the pressure to succeed, especially at bringing in top recruits.  Some of these recruits may not gel with the team or the rules within the team.  It really appears that when a recruit comes to Valpo, that recruit is evaluated by the current team as much as the staff for how they might fit within the program, both as a person and a player.  I think some coaches lose sight of this, and forget that they are dealing with a young mind that is still developing - when to sacrifice for the team, when to lead by example, how to time manage with school, and when their individuality is needed, both on the court and in the locker room.  I think that Bryce (and Homer) have not forgotten that they are really shaping young minds, who all share a love and desire for basketball. 

vu84v2

DePaul is an awful awful job. Why would Hurley or Bryce take a job where they will literally have no latitude to make the changes necessary for the program to be successful? I can see the people at DePaul paying lip service in an interview process and public statements about how they would allow a great young coach to have free reign, but who would believe that. They have people in the athletic department (starting with Ponsetto) that have been there for decades and are not going to allow changes from the status quo. The new stadium that they will play in is way off campus...are you really going to generate any level of student support? DePaul is a good school overall, but has been career suicide to how many coaches.

The post above about Bryce's character is great. But I also could see Bryce leaving for a more prestigious job - and couldn't blame him for doing so. However, I would think he is smart enough to go to a place where he can truly lead the program.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on March 25, 2015, 01:09:11 PM
This source says Bryce has an interview scheduled with DePaul: http://zagsblog.com/articles/bobby-hurley-bryce-drew-to-interview-for-depaul-job/
If someone comes to you with an opportunity, you must at least listen to that opportunity.  Does anyone know why Purnell left Clemson?  It would seem with his success at Dayton and Clemson, he would have been able to do more with DePaul in five years.  He had small incremental improvements, but I don't know the status of the team as a whole, but he had his best Big East season this year (although they lost the last 7 BE games).  DePaul may be on the verge of becoming OK to good, maybe not.  Not playing in an on campus environment would be a detriment, IMHO.  Can't blame Hurley if he takes it...

LaPorteAveApostle

From that article:
Quote"I think [Hurley or Drew], those are your two guys," one source said before the Hurley extension became public.

It also mentions that Purnell was making 2 mil +.  No wonder Hurley and Drew will interview. 

I don't think Bryce is about money; and I don't think that he'd take DePaul, but one thing I've learned is that it's difficult to say "no" to your exact same job, just somewhere else, at a multiple of your current salary.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 25, 2015, 03:36:10 PMIt also mentions that Purnell was making 2 mil +.  No wonder Hurley and Drew will interview. 
When I read that salary figure, I thought the same thing. 

LaPorteAveApostle

valpopal

Word is that Green Bay's Wardle has been hired by Bradley.

valpotx

Quote from: covufan on March 27, 2015, 05:03:59 PM
Lavin and St. John's have parted ways:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/steve-lavin-st-john-mutally-agreed-part-article-1.2164697

This is very interesting, as reports earlier this week had mentioned that they were working on an extension.  Just shows that sources mean jack sh!+ ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Wow, both Barnes and Tennessee moved on quickly:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12591855/tennessee-volunteers-hire-rick-barnes-former-texas-longhorns-coach

It appears that Mullin will take over at St. John's.

Utah Valley takes BYU assistant Mark Pope.

George Mason hires Dave Paulsen.