• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL almost got a second slam dunk champion

Started by oklahomamick, April 03, 2015, 08:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

UWGB's Sykes was 1st after the first round but came up 2nd.  If Sykes held his spot was crowned it would have given the HL 2 slam dunk kings in the past 3 years.  Doug Anderson from Detroit mercy won in 2013.
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

He got a little cocky at the end, had 60 seconds to make a dunk, but missed a couple times and couldn't complete a last ditch effort. He was wasting time walking around pumping up the crowd.

The contest was brutal this year. 3 times more misses than makes. The winner (from a D2 school) also missed several dunks in the first 55 seconds until finally doing a basic windmill to win over Sykes who went first.

Doug Anderson was crazy last year.

historyman

QuoteHe got a little cocky at the end, had 60 seconds to make a dunk, but missed a couple times and couldn't complete a last ditch effort. He was wasting time walking around pumping up the crowd. The contest was brutal this year. 3 times more misses than makes. The winner (from a D2 school) also missed several dunks in the first 55 seconds until finally doing a basic windmill to win over Sykes who went first. Doug Anderson was crazy last year.

Does an HL student/athlete winning the slam dunk contest at the NCAA Final Four make your chest swell?

I'm half way embarrassed by the whole thing. If Sykes would have worked on his shooting as much as his slam dunks he might be battling for a spot in the NBA draft.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2015, 01:14:45 PM
QuoteHe got a little cocky at the end, had 60 seconds to make a dunk, but missed a couple times and couldn't complete a last ditch effort. He was wasting time walking around pumping up the crowd. The contest was brutal this year. 3 times more misses than makes. The winner (from a D2 school) also missed several dunks in the first 55 seconds until finally doing a basic windmill to win over Sykes who went first. Doug Anderson was crazy last year.

Does an HL student/athlete winning the slam dunk contest at the NCAA Final Four make your chest swell?

I'm half way embarrassed by the whole thing. If Sykes would have worked on his shooting as much as his slam dunks he might be battling for a spot in the NBA draft.

Why would you be embarrassed by a college basketball dunk competition that featured a player from a different team?

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on April 03, 2015, 01:35:06 PM
Does an HL student/athlete winning the slam dunk contest at the NCAA Final Four make your chest swell? I'm half way embarrassed by the whole thing. If Sykes would have worked on his shooting as much as his slam dunks he might be battling for a spot in the NBA draft.
Why would you be embarrassed by a college basketball dunk competition that featured a player from a different team?

Since most Final Four "skills competition" viewers probably don't know which teams are in the Horizon League it doesn't matter a great deal but to me Sykes does represent the HL. I'm much more impressed with Norris Cole and his time with the dominant (not current) Miami Heat than I ever will be with Sykes and his dunking ability. Just my opinion.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2015, 02:01:55 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 03, 2015, 01:35:06 PM
Does an HL student/athlete winning the slam dunk contest at the NCAA Final Four make your chest swell? I'm half way embarrassed by the whole thing. If Sykes would have worked on his shooting as much as his slam dunks he might be battling for a spot in the NBA draft.

Since most Final Four "skills competition" viewers probably don't know which teams are in the Horizon League it doesn't matter a great deal but to me Sykes does represent the HL. I'm much more impressed with Norris Cole and his time with the dominant (not current) Miami Heat than I ever will be with Sykes and his dunking ability. Just my opinion.

Oh, I just watched it because it was on. Seeing a little guy dunk is cool, and he definitely stole the show even though he didn't win. I have no ill feelings towards Sykes... he actually seems like a nice guy.

Kyle321n

I'm kind of surprised Alec wasn't invited to the 3 point contest.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

motowntitan

Quote from: Kyle321n on April 03, 2015, 03:00:08 PM
I'm kind of surprised Alec wasn't invited to the 3 point contest.

I think these competitions might be for seniors only.  This does give them somewhat of a small showcase.

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2015, 02:01:55 PMJust my opinion.

That may be your opinion but I also enjoyed watching the slam dunking ability of Sykes.