• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League adding 10th member

Started by agibson, April 24, 2015, 05:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Maybe this is worth a new thread.  Wright State's AD says the official announcement's coming by the end of May.

[tweet]591652890281963520[/tweet]

vu72

So, how far is a "bus ride" by WSU's definition?  I'm hoping for Belmont or Murray State.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Just a guess, but I'm sticking with my previous predictions in another thread that the Horizon League would add Northern Kentucky this year. It is the closest candidate to Wright State and would work as a travel partner. Northern Kentucky has expressed interest in joining and has had officials with ties to the Horizon League. NKU has the facilities, is in the Cincinnati market, and also fields a baseball team. I believe Belmont (or Murray State, Lipscomb) would only be added as part of a pair of schools that would work as travel partners. Finally, I am hoping the addition isn't IUPUI, IPFW, or Robert Morris.

motowntitan

Quote from: vu72 on April 24, 2015, 06:01:17 PM
So, how far is a "bus ride" by WSU's definition?  I'm hoping for Belmont or Murray State.

I'm hoping too, but why should they at this point?

Belmont lost to Wright State twice, and still went to the NCAA.  Murray State got crushed by you guys, was even ranked near end of season, and missed out.

They are the dominant teams in the OVC.  Why have to fight with 3 or more better teams every year?

Also, LeCrone had his golden opportunity when Butler/Loyola both left.  We were stuill riding thr Butler wave.  If we end up with either iuiuppiufw school, or Northern Kentucky, LeCrone should be fired.

VULB#62

Agree, Titan, on the prospects (abstain on firing).  Short-term (1-2 years), we are adding to the bottom of the standings rather than increasing the overall conference RPI. Longer-term (3-5+ years), it's a big gamble that an NKU addition will afterburner their recruiting and propel them into a <100 RPI and into an asset for the conference.  Best guess at an outcome:   they are added merely cuz they have good facilities, can travel w/ WSU, and they protect baseball's status.  :(  I was hoping for a school that would put pressure on the top ½ of the HL in terms of competitiveness and RPI.

ON THE OTHER HAND:  Butler left the A-10 after 1 year.  So..... Belmont/Murray/OVC?  If Belmont came over from the OVC (a one bid FCS football-oriented conference) would/could that (possibly) change the NCAA selection committee's view of the HL and put us in place as a 2 bid conference?  Part 2 of my question:  Why should we assume that a non-football Belmont would feel obligated to be tied at the hip to a football MSU?  Part 3 question (really a statement):  the bussing distance from WSU to Belmont is 335.2 miles.  WRU to UGB is 512.2 (maybe they fly?).  Valpo to Belmont: 441.5.  Valpo to YSU (longest current HL  trip?): 362.6 = 90 more minutes on the road to BU)

PLUS: We already have a soccer relationship in the Fall AND the Nashville location provides a great lower latitude location for early season sets of conference games, season kick-off round-robin tourney, whatever, for baseball, softball, track, golf, tennis)

wh

The HL finished 17th in conference RPI this year thanks to an abysmal OOC record.  With the recent defections at CSU, YSU and GB, next year's conference OOC record will be worse yet. 20th would not be out of the realm of possibility. The OVC finished 23rd. The simple truth is the HL is no longer an attractive option for teams like Belmont and Murray State. It is a conference in decline. The quality of coaching is in decline, recruiting is in decline, and OOC scheduling is a dysfunctional mess.

The "bus ride" hint is a dead giveaway that the 10th team will be NKU. They do nothing whatsoever to enhance the HL's standing and reputation, at least initially. That said they can't be any worse than most of the "old guard" HL teams that now play second fiddle to the 2 newest members - Valpo and Oakland. Maybe they'll rise to the challenge and surprise everyone.

VULB#62

With you WH.  Doubt that they will rise however. CSU has shown that the HL is now a good developmental league for the Power conferences. Haven' said it before but we gotta get out and go to a more stable mid major platform.

crusaderjoe

This news is not surprising if you were following the bits and pieces being posted on various message boards and connecting the dots.  My guess it's NKU as well. 

I still don't understand the trepidation for NKU on this board, but for those of you ready to jump off a cliff if NKU is in fact team #10, circle your calendars for June 8th.  That's the date C-USA decides on whether to keep or boot UAB.

crusadermoe

Yes, it has to be NKU.  It's nsot exciting at all, but logical due to the baseball need and the travel partner for WSU.     

I think we need to just buck up and deal with going on the road in OOC to prove ourselves.   Maybe some schools will give us 2 for 1s.   

Until VU gears up for growth as a university we should just try to dominate a league that touches key markets for us.       

wh

If NKU is the team, why not IUPUI instead?  It is much closer for most HL schools, gives the league a presence in Indianapolis again, they have a new venue, etc.

Serious question...

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 26, 2015, 10:42:24 AM
If NKU is the team, why not IUPUI instead?  It is much closer for most HL schools, gives the league a presence in Indianapolis again, they have a new venue, etc.

Serious question...

I think it stems from the fact that the Horizon League doesn't get along well with the big wigs in the Indiana University administration which is actually headquartered in Indy. That is part of the mid-major vs major "struggle" that is going on in the NCAA, also headquartered in Indy. IUPUI is administered by the regents of IU. This includes the Bloomington campus, the pride and joy of the IU system and the Big Ten major element, the smaller community college campuses--Kokomo, South Bend, Gary, New Albany, Richmond, Columbus, etc. and the other div.1 institution, IUPUI. IPFW is administered by the Purdue regents and Gov. Daniels. The HL and the IU regents just don't play well together. The IU admin will always see IU above IUPUI. The HL likes being in Indy because the control of the NCAA in Indy is being battled for in Indy.

Big D

WH,
The HL would rather add NKU over IUPUI for several reasons:
1.  Facilities.  There is no comparison between the 2 schools.
2.  Finances.  NKU's athletic budget was around 10 million last year.  IUPUI was around 8 million.  IUPUI also has to answer to the regent of IU when it comes to their finances.  NKU doesn't have to answer to anyone but themselves. 
3. New recruiting area.  Everyone in the HL already recruits in Indianapolis.  Adding IUPUI doesn't really open up a new recruiting area for the HL.  NKU is basically a suburb of Cincinnati.  Having a presence in that area opens up a whole new recruiting base for most HL schools.
4.  Travel.  IUPUI might be more centrally located in the HL but they aren't in a good location as a travel partner for anyone in the HL.  Whoever the HL adds, that team is going to be a travel partner for WSU.  IUPUI is roughly 2 hours away from WSU.  NKU is one hour away.
5. Location.  The HL doesn't want to stop expansion at 10 teams.  We want to get to 12 teams and we want to add Belmont and either Murray State or Lipscomb.  Belmont has made it very clear to the HL that they do not want to join the HL if they are the only southern team in the conference.  NKU makes more sense if we are going to really try to expand south.

That all being said, I think it is a mistake to add NKU this year.  The HL already had a down year last year.  If we add another team like NKU (which will be an anchor to the conference for the next several years) we are going to be even less appealing as a conference to the schools we really want to add to the HL. 

valpopal

According to ESPN sources, new Northern Kentucky head coach John Brannen has just hired former Horizon League/Butler player Ronald Nored as an assistant.

a3uge

IUPUI would be a bad fit given their terrible track record of virtually no success for decades.

NKU may be a good fit because they're essentially a blank slate with good facilities and located in a great recruiting area.

It's plausible to see NKU becoming a a top mid major team given a conference switch (and eligibility). It's not plausible to see an iupui turnaround.

valpotx

If Loyola can turnaround their performance by joining the MVC, NKU can do the same in the HL with the same advantages (arena, area, etc).
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on April 26, 2015, 08:16:38 PMIf Loyola can turnaround their performance by joining the MVC, NKU can do the same in the HL with the same advantages (arena, area, etc).

Just to play devil's advocate, why can't IUPUI turn around their fortunes by joining the HL? Why is the HL good enough for NKU but not IUPUI?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

IndyValpo

Quote from: historyman on April 27, 2015, 08:29:51 AM
Quote from: valpotx on April 26, 2015, 08:16:38 PMIf Loyola can turnaround their performance by joining the MVC, NKU can do the same in the HL with the same advantages (arena, area, etc).

Just to play devil's advocate, why can't IUPUI turn around their fortunes by joining the HL? Why is the HL good enough for NKU but not IUPUI?

First off, one year in the MVC isn't a turnaround. It might be, might not, too early to tell.

I personally would be ok with IUPUI given their location and mine but they do not have baseball and that makes them a non-starter in most eyes.

classof2014

If it is Northern Kentucky, then I want out of the HL even more. The quality of the conference has dropped off since Butler left. Next year it's Valpo and Oakland and nobody else jumps out at me.

CSU is gonna be bad
Detroit is always a mess
WSU able to pull off an upset but nothing more
UIC hopefully their new coach can turn things around
UWM will be mediocre
GB is a mess
YSU is a complete joke

Other than numbers Northern Kentucky doesn't add much. If the trend continues of the quality of the conference decreasing Valpo needs to be knocking on the door of the MVC more regularly.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 27, 2015, 08:52:00 AMI personally would be ok with IUPUI given their location and mine but they do not have baseball and that makes them a non-starter in most eyes.

Very true. I guess use of Victory Field would not be possible? Pirates/Indians don't need the added income?

EDIT: I just looked it up and Victory Field (home of the AAA Indians--Pirates farm team) is owned by the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Board which is an entity of the City-County government. So it would fall to the city-county to rent it out to IU.

valpotx

IUPUI had baseball until my SO season in college.  I don't remember where they played, but they dropped it that year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Various sources are confirming Northern Kentucky is joining the Horizon League this year.

valpo64

With all the unrest etc. with LeCrone, why isn't he out of a job in the HL?  Complaints about him were around even when Butler "ran the League." This Detroit thing is a disaster!  Neutral site?  Great.  But Detroit???  Who does he listen to?  King Kampe?  The Detroit media doesn't even give the Horizon League proper exposure now, even with 2 schools in their market!  I hope the MVC still has Valpo on it's radar because we should move out of the HL as soon as possible.  The "new" HL is now the type of league that should have IPFW, IUPUI and NKU  for sure.  The good programs Like VU don't belong in this kind of "bush league."  While it served us well for a time, it now is time to leave.

a3uge

Can someone find out if they're eligible this season or not?

blackpantheruwm

This is their last season as a provisional D-I.

oklahomamick

The summit league added University Nebraska-Omaha a couple years ago from Division II.  Omaha, as they liked to be marketed as, have spent a lot of money on athletic facilities and coaching salaries.  The SL and their fans were happy and said Omaha has a lot of potential. 

Does anyone see the similarities...???

CRUSADERS!!!