• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League considering Detroit as tourney location?

Started by valpopal, May 05, 2015, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 11, 2015, 10:05:32 AM
Kampe about the plan.  Apparently with a straight face he said the following: 

On perceived home-court advantage for Detroit and Oakland -- "I don't see it as an advantage to Oakland or Detroit at all."

Well if he says so.......

It has made me wonder about home court advantage.  How much of it is sleeping in your own bed, and not being cooped up on a bus or plane, as some here have suggested?  How much is it being close to your normal routine, eating the usual food, etc.?  How much of it is shooting at familiar rims, in a familiar environment, etc?  How much of it is being in your "home game" routine, where you are half of the time?  How much of it is having a large group of friendly fans?

Some of those would be present for Oakland or Detroit in the "neutral" tournament environment, others would not.

I really don't know what the mix is.  If memory serves, the home court advantage in basketball is statistically significant, and not small.  But, I don't know if the make up is well understood.  Statistically, or even anecdotally.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on May 26, 2015, 12:25:31 PM

On perceived home-court advantage for Detroit and Oakland -- "I don't see it as an advantage to Oakland or Detroit at all."

It has made me wonder about home court advantage.  How much of it is sleeping in your own bed, and not being cooped up on a bus or plane, as some here have suggested?  How much is it being close to your normal routine, eating the usual food, etc.?  How much of it is shooting at familiar rims, in a familiar environment, etc?  How much of it is being in your "home game" routine, where you are half of the time?  How much of it is having a large group of friendly fans?

Some of those would be present for Oakland or Detroit in the "neutral" tournament environment, others would not.

I really don't know what the mix is.  If memory serves, the home court advantage in basketball is statistically significant, and not small.  But, I don't know if the make up is well understood.  Statistically, or even anecdotally.

Quote from: agibson on May 26, 2015, 12:25:31 PM

I just took a look back at the history of The Summit/Mid-Con tourney, always played at a neutral site, some more "neutral" then others.

We won the tourney title in 1994, 95,96,97,98,99, and 2000.  The 1994 game was played at Valpo but the 95-99 games were played at The Mark of the Quad Cities. In 2000 it switched to Allen County Memorial in Fort Wayne.  We won the 2000 tourney then lost to S. Utah in 2001 but won again in 2002.  We lost to IUPUI in 2003 but won again in 2004.

So our record on neutral sites is 9-2.  Our record in the Horizon while hosting is 2-1.   A similar "home court" advantage, to Detroit and Oakland, was when ORU had the tournament at a nearby "neutral court". They won 3 straight from 2006-2008.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

vu72, don't forget the tournament switched to a somewhat neutral site in 2003, from Fort Wayne to Kansas City. We won in 2003 over IUPUI at Kemper Arena, then lost to the Jags in 2004 in KC, so the neutral floor thing didn't work out for UMKC, did it?

wh

I probably missed it somewhere in the thread, but will the tournament championship game be played on the weekend, on Tuesday (as in the past) to accommodate ESPN, or has it yet been determined?

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on May 28, 2015, 01:44:18 PM
I probably missed it somewhere in the thread, but will the tournament championship game be played on the weekend, on Tuesday (as in the past) to accommodate ESPN, or has it yet been determined?

From the HL press release:

"The 2016 Horizon League men's basketball championship game will keep its current Tuesday, March 8, slot on ESPN or ESPN2 at 7 p.m. ET. Additional game dates, times, network information, and tournament format will be announced at a later date."

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/olympia-entertainment-horizon-league-reach-agreement-on-mens-basketball-championship

valpotx

Quote from: valporun on May 27, 2015, 12:10:54 PM
vu72, don't forget the tournament switched to a somewhat neutral site in 2003, from Fort Wayne to Kansas City. We won in 2003 over IUPUI at Kemper Arena, then lost to the Jags in 2004 in KC, so the neutral floor thing didn't work out for UMKC, did it?

I think that you have these backwards.  We lost to IUPUI in 2003 and went to the NIT (losing to Iowa), and then won in 2004 to go to the NCAA tourney (against Gonzaga)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

So we're moving this thing to Detroit.  The most dangerous urban center in the United States.  Named the 8th most dangerous vacation destination in the world by 1 publication (Afghanistan is No.1, Iraq No.4 for point of reference). Got it. 

And it's not a weekend final, but a Tuesday night final.  A Tuesday night on a neutral court in a far away place in the 8th most dangerous vacation destination in the world in front of a national television audience.  Got it.

IMO time will show that this Detroit thing will become the worst decision the HL has ever made.  If Valpo is fortunate enough to be in the final, does anyone actually believe that fans of the program other than diehards like us are going to take off work on Monday and Tuesday and drive up there in mass for this thing?   How about all the families that brought their kids to this year's championship game at the ARC?  Are they going to take their kids out of school to be a part of this Tuesday night extravaganza in downtown Detroit?  Despite spring break, the student section was overflowing at this year's championship game.  Anyone want to venture a guess as to how many will show up in Detroit on a Tuesday night on spring break week?  5?  10? 

This is such an obviously bad idea that it's hard to imagine that it was seriously entertained - and yet it was.  Even more incredible, LeCrone sold it to 7 presumably highly intelligent, visionary university leaders. These people put their reputations on the line for a huge roll of the dice that could make the HL the laughing stock of college basketball if anyone other than Detroit or Oakland participates in the championship game.  Unbelievable. 

Last, but not least, I am familiar with downtown Detroit.  As we get closer to the "big event," I'll revisit this topic and spell out the multiple risks that out-of-towners unfamiliar with Detroit face in attending a publicized public event in downtown Detroit after dark.  For now I will simply frame it this way.  The lions will be on the prowl that Tuesday night, waiting in the tall grass to pounce on any unsuspecting wildebeests that get separated from the herd.

http://travel.amerikanki.com/worlds-most-dangerous-vacation-destinations/8/

valpo64

Maybe the HL can come up with a catchy name for the Tourney, like "The shootout in Detroit"

valporun

You're right, valpotx, I did have things backwards.

valpo64

WOW!  I can't wait to go to Detroit for the tourney!

StlVUFan

Meanwhile, there is now a report of the bracket for next year's conference tourney:

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2015/7/15/8975501/2016-conference-tournaments-brackets-schedule-tv-scores-college-basketball#HL

The double-byes are gone too.

I have mixed feelings about this (I may have said this before).  One thing's for sure, winning the conference tourney gets you a game against the play-in winner and nothing more.  I like it and I hate it.  As Two-Face would say, "We are of two minds on the subject."

Then again, I have no idea if this is correct as we've heard nothing from the HL office.

StlVUFan

Update: blogger admits he was just guessing.  Never mind...

valpotx

I believe that NKU is immediately eligible for the NCAA tournament as well.  This individual mentions that they are 1 year away from being eligible.  Getting rid of the double-bye is moronic.  We won't be turning out multiple bids anytime soon, and you want your top 2 seeds protected in that case...
"Don't mess with Texas"

motowntitan

Here are some Lutherans that aren't wussies:

http://www.elca.org/YouthGathering/WhyDetroit

Seen many of them walking around the downtown area this week.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on July 16, 2015, 01:17:13 PM
I believe that NKU is immediately eligible for the NCAA tournament as well.  This individual mentions that they are 1 year away from being eligible.  Getting rid of the double-bye is moronic.  We won't be turning out multiple bids anytime soon, and you want your top 2 seeds protected in that case...
I want my top 2 seeds to stand on their own two feet instead of being "helped".  But .... YMMV

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on July 16, 2015, 01:17:13 PM
I believe that NKU is immediately eligible for the NCAA tournament as well.  This individual mentions that they are 1 year away from being eligible.
You may be right about that.  To tell the truth, I feel like I can remember both answers being given on this question.

vu72

Quote from: motowntitan on July 16, 2015, 06:29:03 PM

Glad you noticed over 30000 kids as well as adults keeping them company.  My congregation has about 20 people there from here in the Dallas area.  Early reports are that they are having a great time! Thanks for being a good host!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

I don't even think NKU even knows if they're eligible or not.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on July 16, 2015, 09:41:30 PM
I don't even think NKU even knows if they're eligible or not.

Well, the NCAA and Atlantic Sun knew exactly when the Norse become full Division 1 members:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2011-12-08/northern-kentucky-moves-di

This website clearly states that NKU will become eligible for the postseason in 2016-17.

The Norse cross country, golf and track & field programs will compete in next season's conference championships with the remaining sports gaining postseason eligibility in 2016-17 at the conclusion of the four-year transitional process.

http://www.naplesnews.com/sports/college/fgcu/northern-kentucky-abruptly-leaves-atlantic-sun-for-horizon_29543137

Kavanagh and company understand the geographical reasons for NKU's move to the Horizon — seven teams within 300 miles, and an estimated annual travel savings of $255,000. That's one of the main factors in all of the recent conference shufflings.

But they don't appreciate the manner in which the Norse, who will not be eligible for NCAA tournaments or meets until 2016-17, are quickly doing it.

agibson

My wife is coming back today, with a dozen of our youth and a few other adults.  Sounds like it was a great trip!

vu72

Quote from: agibson on July 19, 2015, 03:52:32 PM

My wife is coming back today, with a dozen of our youth and a few other adults.  Sounds like it was a great trip!

Reports from our Pastor and youth say that they had a great trip and very pleased with downtown Detroit.  They got to see the troubled parts of Detroit as well and did hours and hours of work serving folks in the poorer parts of town.  No doubt a life changing experience.

covufan

On another Detroit moment:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/07/19/cars-catch-fire-in-lot-outside-tigers-orioles-game-at-comerica-park/

I hope the fires were not intentionally set, but the response time for the fire department to show up must have been slow for that many cars to have burned.  Hopefully, the HL MBB tournament won't need any emergency services.

wh

Avg. 9-1-1 response time in Detroit is 30 min., highest in the nation. Visiting Detroit is liking vacationing in a third world country. Everything seems fine - unless you need law enforcement or an EMT.