• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League considering Detroit as tourney location?

Started by valpopal, May 05, 2015, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: agibson on October 16, 2015, 04:59:44 PMQuote (selected)Olympia has set an attendance goal of 35,000 for the four days, and 8.500 for the championship game. An ambitious and high bar.Quote
The only way the championship game has 8500 people attend is if the game has Oakland and Detroit, and the highest ticket price is $8.  Even then, they might have to give away 2500 tickets to get to that number.

Very ambitious. 

valpospartan

I am a former Detroiter that still has some ties there.  I would be shocked if anywhere near the projected attendance is achieved - even with a UDM vs. Oakland final.  Other than students and alums, I don't see much support for either of these two teams, let alone the rest of the league.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on October 16, 2015, 06:50:08 PM
There were a lot of school age kids (including 3 of my grandsons) at last season's championship game at the ARC. I know for a fact that my 2 daughters would not let my grandsons attend a game 5 hours away on a week night with school in session. That also means that my daughters and hubs won't be there either.

Then maybe we should be looking at our views of the other parts of the US and the world and not being Americans that hide in their cocoons with our weapons hoping the rest of the world won't bother us.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on October 18, 2015, 12:58:36 PM
Quote from: wh on October 16, 2015, 06:50:08 PM
There were a lot of school age kids (including 3 of my grandsons) at last season's championship game at the ARC. I know for a fact that my 2 daughters would not let my grandsons attend a game 5 hours away on a week night with school in session. That also means that my daughters and hubs won't be there either.

Then maybe we should be looking at our views of the other parts of the US and the world and not being Americans that hide in their cocoons with our weapons hoping the rest of the world won't bother us.

It appears you misunderstood my point. My daughters would be resistant to taking my grandchildren ANYWHERE 5 hours away on a school night. To make something like that work, they would have to take them out of school early on the day of the game. They would probably miss the next day as well, unless they went on 2 or 3 hours sleep. That's just not something most responsible parents would do over a mid major college basketball game - even an important one.

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: valpospartan on October 16, 2015, 10:48:03 PM
I am a former Detroiter that still has some ties there.  I would be shocked if anywhere near the projected attendance is achieved - even with a UDM vs. Oakland final.  Other than students and alums, I don't see much support for either of these two teams, let alone the rest of the league.

I don't know. What kind of alumni base does each school have, and in the area? We don't average much different in attendance from either of the Detroit metro schools, and whenever we host the conference tournament, we always get 8k+ for the semifinal and sell out the final.

I'm really hoping we can beat you guys for the regular season so we can host... damn it.

frontrowfan

The opening Games will be on Saturday and Sunday   Area around the arena is pretty safe (as a business traveler, it a frequent destination).   There will be plenty security, there are some great restuarants and decent hotels as well as pretty convenient people mover system.   The only downfall I see is the champion ship game will be on Tuesday evening which will likely impact attendance.

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: frontrowfan on October 19, 2015, 11:47:16 AM
The opening Games will be on Saturday and Sunday   Area around the arena is pretty safe (as a business traveler, it a frequent destination).   There will be plenty security, there are some great restuarants and decent hotels as well as pretty convenient people mover system.   The only downfall I see is the champion ship game will be on Tuesday evening which will likely impact attendance.

The downfall I see is only two schools less than a two and a half hour drive of the arena.

wh

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 11, 2015, 10:05:32 AM
http://m.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/motor-city-madness----a-coach-s-take/article_4abac516-f520-11e4-8be6-2fccd14f8c11.html?mobile_touch=true

I am surprised this hasn't shown up here before, perhaps I missed it.  The new tourney site gave Paul Oren the chance to interview his man crush Kampe about the plan.  Apparently with a straight face he said the following: 

On perceived home-court advantage for Detroit and Oakland -- "I don't see it as an advantage to Oakland or Detroit at all."

Well if he says so.......
Seems like these comments have been replaced by the truth...what a tool!

StlVUFan

Since I can't listen to the WJR interview (don't see any podcasts archived at the website), I'm taking everyone's word for it.

I won't defend the "Who ya crappin'" moment from the coach.

Then again, I don't really care since I'm a single site kind of guy and I don't really care where it is.

Reading Paul's blog, here's the meaning I take from Kampe: Valpo travels well, so their fanbase has a good opportunity to negate any advantage Oakland or Detroit has.  That being said, we're going to try to bring more fans than they do, and if we succeed, that's their problem.  Plus, I didn't know how good we were going to be back then.

Folks, Kampe's a typical coach in many ways.  I never said he was a saint or anything.  I bet if we dug hard enough we could find an instance or two of verbal hypocrisy from Bryce over the past 5 years.

I would point out that if Oakland somehow fails to get one of the top two seeds, they have to play 4 games.  If we get one of the top two seeds, we only have to play 2.

oklahomamick

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 27, 2015, 07:46:48 PMSince I can't listen to the WJR interview (don't see any podcasts archived at the website), I'm taking everyone's word for it. I won't defend the "Who ya crappin'" moment from the coach. Then again, I don't really care since I'm a single site kind of guy and I don't really care where it is. Reading Paul's blog, here's the meaning I take from Kampe: Valpo travels well, so their fanbase has a good opportunity to negate any advantage Oakland or Detroit has.  That being said, we're going to try to bring more fans than they do, and if we succeed, that's their problem.  Plus, I didn't know how good we were going to be back then. Folks, Kampe's a typical coach in many ways.  I never said he was a saint or anything.  I bet if we dug hard enough we could find an instance or two of verbal hypocrisy from Bryce over the past 5 years. I would point out that if Oakland somehow fails to get one of the top two seeds, they have to play 4 games.  If we get one of the top two seeds, we only have to play 2.

Forget about the crowd and who travels well.  Oakland players get to sleep in their own beds etc.  Staying in hotels and eating out is a disadvantage.   
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Wouldn't OU and UDM sequester their players in nearby hotels?  There's a lot at stake to not exert some control for those few days.

wh

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 27, 2015, 01:21:28 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on May 11, 2015, 10:05:32 AM
http://m.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/motor-city-madness----a-coach-s-take/article_4abac516-f520-11e4-8be6-2fccd14f8c11.html?mobile_touch=true

I am surprised this hasn't shown up here before, perhaps I missed it.  The new tourney site gave Paul Oren the chance to interview his man crush Kampe about the plan.  Apparently with a straight face he said the following: 

On perceived home-court advantage for Detroit and Oakland -- "I don't see it as an advantage to Oakland or Detroit at all."

Well if he says so.......
Seems like these comments have been replaced by the truth...what a tool!

This is a VERY good catch.

Grizz

64 is full of crap. I heard the same interview. I challenge anyone on this board to listen to it and tell me 64 is not telling a lie. Kampe still says it's not an advantage. All he does is promote the event. He wasn't even asked if it is an advantage. Message boards might be one of the few places some wack job with an agenda can make a false statement and you so called educated people pile right on.  I guess time will tell if it is or not, but give me a break.

agibson

Quote from: Grizz on December 28, 2015, 11:25:32 AMMessage boards might be one of the few places some wack job with an agenda can make a false statement and you so called educated people pile right on.

It is one of the traditional uses of the internet...

On fan messages boards you just might find someone with the right combination of interest and spare time to do some fact checking.  But, it sounds like archived shows aren't available?

StlVUFan

Quote from: Grizz on December 28, 2015, 11:25:32 AM
64 is full of crap. I heard the same interview. I challenge anyone on this board to listen to it and tell me 64 is not telling a lie. Kampe still says it's not an advantage. All he does is promote the event. He wasn't even asked if it is an advantage. Message boards might be one of the few places some wack job with an agenda can make a false statement and you so called educated people pile right on.  I guess time will tell if it is or not, but give me a break.
Do you know if a podcast is available?  Can you post a link?  You got me interested now to listen to it.  I would love nothing better than to undo my conceding of the point.

a3uge

If you don't think Kampe is using the tournament location as a recruiting tool, either you're an idiot, or Kampe is.

a3uge

wh

Quote from: Grizz on December 30, 2015, 11:23:40 AM
https://audioboom.com/boos/3985652-greg-kampe-oakland-university-basketball-coach-december-22-2015

Here is a link to interview.  At around 6 mins he mentions Valpo and at 8 the tournament

There is no mention of Valpo or the HL tournament in this audio. I just lost 8 minutes of my life that I'll never get back listening to some other team's coach talk about an upcoming OOC game.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Grizz on December 30, 2015, 11:23:40 AM
https://audioboom.com/boos/3985652-greg-kampe-oakland-university-basketball-coach-december-22-2015

Here is a link to interview.  At around 6 mins he mentions Valpo and at 8 the tournament
Wrong interview.  There was nothing here about the tournament or Valpo.  This was prior to the MSU game.

This is the one I think you meant to post:

https://audioboom.com/boos/3989065-greg-kampe-oakland-university-head-basketball-coach-december-23-2015

StlVUFan

He actually said nothing whatsoever about advantage at the tournament.  Just invited MSU fans to come and take a gander.

Grizz

Sorry, ok I'm an old guy and not good at this link stuff, but the point is some guy comes on here with an agenda and says crap that isn't true and people pile on.

Grizz

And why do I have to be an idiot.  Kampes recruited for 40 years, he starts 4 kids from Detroit and the tourney has never been in Detroit. You think Palenbizo came to Oakland over Valpo because of the tourney?

a3uge

Quote from: Grizz on December 30, 2015, 01:25:14 PM
And why do I have to be an idiot.  Kampes recruited for 40 years, he starts 4 kids from Detroit and the tourney has never been in Detroit. You think Palenbizo came to Oakland over Valpo because of the tourney?

So Kampe is already the king of recruiting, and he won't sell to his Michigan recruits that the tournament is being played in Detroit every year? Man, I thought Valpo had some delusional fans.