• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Celebrating the Life of Karl Lutze

Started by agibson, May 08, 2015, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Valpo lost another good one yesterday.  :(

"God has made everything beautiful in its time. God has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." — Ecclesiastes 3:11

Yesterday, we lost a beloved member of the Valparaiso University community, the Rev. Karl Lutze '80H, professor emeritus.

Karl joined the Valparaiso University faculty in 1959, where he taught in the theology department until 1991. He also served as the director of church relations from 1981–1991. His wife, Gail, attended Valparaiso University, and his son Peter '68 currently serves as chair of the communication department. Karl was preceded in death by his late wife, Esther (Peters) Lutze, and in 1993, they established the Karl and Esther Lutze Endowed Scholarship for Minority Students. Together, the Lutze family has touched countless lives of Valpo alumni, students, faculty, and staff.

Before his tenure at Valpo, Karl served as parish pastor for 15 years in African American communities in Muskogee and Tulsa, Okla. In his long and fruitful life, he truly embodied the character and spirit of Valparaiso University in everything that he did. Valpo's motto "In Thy Light, We See Light" seemingly was ingrained in his core being.

As a called and ordained minister in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, Karl spent his entire vocation seeking justice, specifically on the issue of racial equality. This passion transferred into his professorship as well, and in 1965, he accompanied a group of faculty and students to Alabama to advocate for black voter registration. It is timely that this year, on the 50th anniversary of this trip, more than 40 current faculty and staff made a similar journey to Alabama to commemorate "Bloody Sunday."

Karl was the author of seven books, including his most recent book "Into a Wider World: Family, Friends, and Allies — Companions for the Journey," in which he recounted his time as a Valpo professor during the civil rights movement.

Karl modeled leadership and service to church and society throughout his life. He was an amazing teacher, mentor, father, storyteller, and friend. He encouraged others to pursue justice, equality, and a deep sense of vocation, and his love for the Valpo community was contagious. He sought inclusion and reconciliation among all people, but most especially for Lutherans across multiple denominations. He will be deeply missed.

A celebration of life is planned for July 2015. Memorials may be given to the Lutheran Deaconess Association, the Karl and Esther Lutze Endowed Scholarship for Minority Students at Valparaiso University, or a charity of choice.

Karl's legacy will endure through the countless lives he has touched. As a University community, our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Gail, and all of Karl's friends and family during this time of mourning.

Sincerely,

Mark A. Heckler, Ph.D.
President

valpospartan

Karl was a good friend, my wife's former boss, and the Officiant for my daughter's wedding at the chapel. He was one of the best persons that I have ever known.  My wife and I will truly miss him.
Oh, and appropriate to this board, he and Gail were avid VU basketball supporters.
R.I.P. Karl.