• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Newest member already looking elsewhere?

Started by oklahomamick, September 14, 2015, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

I highly doubt it....

But picked this up from the SB-Nation, Mid-Major Madness and thought it was interesting. 

If Eastern Kentucky does leave the OVC for the Sun Belt then it could trigger a bit of poetic justice in my head. Northern Kentucky left a bad taste in Atlantic Sun fans mouths when the Norse bolted the conference, seemingly overnight, for the Horizon League. The Horizon League is a nice home for a school that basically resides in Cincinnati but there is no secret that NKU would prefer the Ohio Valley.

NKU basically begged the OVC to let them in when they were first transition to Division I but the conference added Belmont instead (which makes sense). The ASun was then the only conference that really opened its arms to NKU and saved them from the Independent peril that NJIT, Longwood, Savannah State, and so many others suffered for years.

I would think that EKU does leave for the Sun Belt that the OVC will be looking for a twelfth member and NKU might have been a very strong candidate for the gig. Perhaps patience would've paid off for a school that ran for perceived greener pastures earlier this year.  Maybe East Tennessee State or Chattanooga can be the OVC's solution instead?
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Pretty misleading thread title... There's absolutely no indication NKU wanted to move down to the inferior OVC after joining the Horizon. Also, the entire premise of the article is no longer valid as Coastal Carolina already accepted a bid to the ASUN, so EKU isn't leaving the OVC anyways.

Pathfinder

In the original feasibility study NKU did about moving up to Division I, the recommendation was to seek admission to the Horizon League. I think they really wanted in to the OVC when the Horizon wasn't going to take them, but I think the Horizon was always their target and any desire to join the OVC is dead.

blackpantheruwm

I don't believe this in the slightest. Ken Bothof was hired to get them in the Horizon League. I mean he was hired for other things, too, but their intention to join the Horizon League has been long known.