• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Campus Tour

Started by 78crusader, July 27, 2015, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

You mention the need to connect the University with the City.   You may be aware that Valpo is a quarter-finalist in the national "America's Best Community"; and here's the story and the plan... if we can win.

http://www.valpolife.com/community/government-community-resources/54813-valparaiso-up-for-3-million-prize-as-america-s-best-community

agibson

Was just watching a video clip... who knew there was a "Rural America" TV network?

agibson

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on July 30, 2015, 12:30:13 PM
A somewhat related topic:  I just noticed that the Duesenberg Welcome Center is missing from Google Maps. (However, Beacon Hall, which I believe is a newer building, is on it). Does anyone know how to submit a request to add it to Google? I imagine more than a few visitors, including prospective students, use Google Maps to get to Valpo and that the first stop for many of them is the Welcome Center. Not cool if it doesn't exist on it!

It knows where it's located, a search on "valparaiso university welcome center" works fine for me, and the location's about right. Their aerial photography even already includes the two buildings.  I guess you're saying you'd like the silhouette added? It would be a bonus.

I guess it's either "general feedback" or "report a data problem".   If you click on the three lines next to the search box, they're both towards the bottom of the list.

a3uge

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on July 30, 2015, 12:30:13 PM
A somewhat related topic:  I just noticed that the Duesenberg Welcome Center is missing from Google Maps. (However, Beacon Hall, which I believe is a newer building, is on it). Does anyone know how to submit a request to add it to Google? I imagine more than a few visitors, including prospective students, use Google Maps to get to Valpo and that the first stop for many of them is the Welcome Center. Not cool if it doesn't exist on it!
Google Maps was mostly crowd sourced until about a month ago - a string of vandalism closed public entries. I've made a number of edits that have gone live in about a day (after review).

http://www.google.com/mapmaker

So I think we're out of luck for now.

usc4valpo

I certainly do not think removing Brandt and Alumni Hall will be a historic loss. They were dumps in the 80's and I am sure they are dumps today.

78crusader

It is discouraging for me to learn that the remaining dorms will be renovated rather than replaced. Scheele-Lankenau-Alumni are all 50 year old buildings with a lot of wear and tear. Plus they aren't attractive structures. I have been told they serve as a drag on freshman enrollment.

I realize there is a limit on what VU can afford to build, but I think at least two new dorms are badly needed.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on July 30, 2015, 09:27:48 PM
It is discouraging for me to learn that the remaining dorms will be renovated rather than replaced. Scheele-Lankenau-Alumni are all 50 year old buildings with a lot of wear and tear. Plus they aren't attractive structures. I have been told they serve as a drag on freshman enrollment.

Not to worry to much. 

I realize there is a limit on what VU can afford to build, but I think at least two new dorms are badly needed.

Paul

Not to worry too much.  First, we already have one new dorm in Beacon Hall, next the Master Plan calls for another new dorm (suite style) near Christ College.  As for the existing dorms, the Master Plan calls for them to be "Renovated/Reconstructed".  The layout on the Master Plan looks nothing like what is currently in place. I doubt the Board would approve a look that keeps the dorms in the 60's while all the new stuff is more classic.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I've not spent a lot of time in either since they were renovated, but I think the Wehernberg and Guild-Memorial renovations were well received.

I spent a few nights in a dorm at Princeton recently.  To my surprise, they made ours look not so bad.

I know many universities have participated in something of an arms race when it comes to undergrad housing, cafeterias, and such life amenities.  I don't know if we _need_ to make a big investment there to be competitive.  Maybe it does pay to be creative about how we approach such things, to be, and appear, dynamic, interesting, innovative, without necessarily splashing a lot of cash. 

I don't know if, or to what extent, our housing has served as a "drag" on freshman enrollment.  Probably not so easy to monitor - I can imagine there are anecdotes.  Without outright trying to be deceitful, I'd imagine that campus tours focus on Beacon, Uptown, maybe GM, and the like. I doubt they spend a lot of time in Lankenau or Brandt.

classof2014

When I toured campus years ago and went through the dorms they didn't really stick out in my mind. What did stick out in my mind was the quality of education I would receive if I committed four years of my time to this institution. That is what separates Valparaiso University from many other institutions throughout the country.

Needless to say it was one of the greatest life decisions I made when I chose to be a Crusader.