• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

McClendon fired after two seasons

Started by covufan, October 09, 2015, 03:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

He was probably going to be removed when Seattle fired the GM. Maybe he could latch on with the Nationals, or a bench coach somewhere?

sliman

Great guy.  Deserves to be in MLB somewhere.

agibson

I had to remind myself of the Valpo connection, though the name seemed familiar. In case anyone else is also deficient in their Valpo baseball history:

(Surely we've been through this before.  I do seem to remember him being discussed in recent years with respect to the LLWS, though I don't remember the Valpo connection coming up on ESPN.)

Born in Gary 1959.  On the first all-African-American team to make the final stage of the Little League World Series. ("Legendary Lloyd" when he homered in five consecutive at bats. Insane. Was intentionally walked in every other plate appearance.)  Roosevelt High grad.

Career 0.330 at Valpo, 18 home runs and 73 RBI's (I have no gauge on college stats - are those power numbers any good?).  All-conference 79 and 80.  This was pre-D1?

Played maybe a couple of hundred games in four or so seasons in the Bigs, playing five positions on defense (!).  Catcher, 1B, 3B, LF, RF.  1987-1990.  Minor league contract still in 1995.

43% win record managing the Pirates 2001-2005. 50% for the Mariners 2014-2015.  Just shy of 500 wins altogether.

Sounds like he's been flexible in his career. I bet he finds a niche going forward.