• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponent Games and Scores

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2015, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiftmutiny

Quote from: talksalot on January 20, 2016, 03:42:33 PM
Terry Foster's insider story dateline today:

http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012016aab.html

Statistics through the NKU game

Hooper is 63 of 144 Field Goals...
Hooper is 63 of 144 3pt Field Goals

Felder is averaging 37.6 minutes per game.
Dorsey Walker is at 32.0 minutes per game

(Peters is at 30.2; Carter is at 28)

I've got to say, I really appreciate Terry's inside look into the Oakland locker room. It's not something that people outside the team get to see too often.

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 20, 2016, 02:31:13 PM
IPFW's top scorer is not ineligible. 
Not sure why this came out of nowhere, but your statement is incorrect, Mo Evans is the ineligible player because of academic issues. He has been the leading scorer for IPFW at 16.9 PPG up until the South Dakota State game. Max Landis is now the leading scorer at 16.5 PPG and he is shooting 49.3% from 3 point range. This could seriously hurt IPFW and VU if the loss of Evans affects the potential W's for this team.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on January 20, 2016, 05:45:26 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 20, 2016, 02:31:13 PM
IPFW's top scorer is not ineligible. 
Not sure why this came out of nowhere, but your statement is incorrect, Mo Evans is the ineligible player because of academic issues. He has been the leading scorer for IPFW at 16.9 PPG up until the South Dakota State game. Max Landis is now the leading scorer at 16.5 PPG and he is shooting 49.3% from 3 point range. This could seriously hurt IPFW and VU if the loss of Evans affects the potential W's for this team.
I believe "now" autocorrected to "not"

vu72

Missouri State pulls out the win over Drake but Indiana State is going down to So. Illinois.  I guess that's a push from our standpoint.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Wednesday 1/20
Missouri State (8-11) 79 Drake 70
Southern Illinois 79 Indiana State (10-9) 66
UCLA @ Oregon State - Beavers giving 2 points at home

Opponents go 1-1... but Valpo's RPI up to 25 at 9:25pm...

Watching Baylor... 5 second to... Bears up 2... and they foul on the inbounds and the Freshman from KState sinks 2 free throws to send the game to OT...a Baylor win, puts them along atop the B12.

talksalot

Quote from: vu72 on January 20, 2016, 09:08:47 PMMissouri State pulls out the win over Drake but Indiana State is going down to So. Illinois.  I guess that's a push from our standpoint.

for the Grizz, Michigan State lost, but Georgia won... so that'll be a wash, and SIU's win (over Indiana State) also "helps" Oakland's RPI

oklahomamick

Quote from: a3uge on January 20, 2016, 06:30:20 PM
Quote from: FWalum on January 20, 2016, 05:45:26 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 20, 2016, 02:31:13 PMIPFW's top scorer is not ineligible.
I believe "now" autocorrected to "not"

Yes, it was auto correct.  I mentioned it because, like you said, IPFW may slip up thus hurting our rpi a little.  They have been pretty good since we beat them at the beginning of the year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vusupporter

Paying attention to opponents' opponents' results is pretty silly - each individual result has such a negligible impact on the OOWP number, given the huge number of games contained within that number. IMO.

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on January 20, 2016, 09:27:54 PM
Wednesday 1/20
UCLA @ Oregon State - Beavers giving 2 points at home

Opponents go 1-1... but Valpo's RPI up to 25 at 9:25pm...

Watching Baylor... 5 second to... Bears up 2... and they foul on the inbounds and the Freshman from KState sinks 2 free throws to send the game to OT...a Baylor win, puts them along atop the B12.
Baylor has some big dudes.

But yeah, that was a dumb mistake.

Knowing Valpo's luck, they'll draw an 11 seed and play Kentucky in Louisville.

talksalot

Wednesday 1/20
UCLA 82 Oregon State (11-6) 73

Opponents go 1-2... but Valpo's RPI up to 25 at 9:25pm...and right back up to #27 at the end of the day...

talksalot

Thursday 1/21
North Dakota State @ IPFW - Mastodons giving 1.5 points at home
Grand Canyon @ Chicago State - no line ... GC (RPI 100) is 16-2 on the season, on a 9-game winning streak
Southern Cal @ Oregon - Beavers giving 4.5 points at home
Belmont @ Tennessee-Martin - Skyhawks (RPI 211) getting 5.5 points at home - ESPNU 8PM Central

mid-Major watchers will stay up for the Gonzaga @ St. Marys (favored by 3.5) game on ESPNU at 10pm central

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 21, 2016, 08:06:15 AMGrand Canyon @ Chicago State - no line ... GC (RPI 100) is 16-2 on the season, on a 9-game winning streak

Grand Canyon will most likely find the big hole in Chicago State's game. Pun very much intended!
(The fact that GCU is located in Phoenix should have no bearing on whether you think of a big hole when referring to this university) 

talksalot

Quote from: bbtds on January 21, 2016, 08:40:54 AMGrand Canyon will most likely find the big hole in Chicago State's game.

Gee, I thought you were talking about the Budget hole that may exterminate the Cougars altogether !... this is too serious to make light of...preposition dangling.

http://progressillinois.com/news/content/2016/01/19/illinois-budget-impasse-impacting-higher-education-enrollment

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 21, 2016, 08:06:15 AMmid-Major watchers will stay up for the Gonzaga @ St. Marys (favored by 3.5) game on ESPNU at 10pm central

A late tip, even for the west coast!  TV schedule, I suppose.

St. Mary's favored by 3 or 3.5 at home, per Vegas.  RPI Forecast likes them by 6, giving Gonzaga only a (traditional, for road teams, if not for Gonzaga?) 30% chance of winning.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 21, 2016, 09:11:57 AM
Gee, I thought you were talking about the Budget hole that may exterminate the Cougars altogether !... this is too serious to make light of...preposition dangling.

http://progressillinois.com/news/content/2016/01/19/illinois-budget-impasse-impacting-higher-education-enrollment

I've been hearing about this on the local news.  Sounds very serious for Chicago State.  Hard to know how much might be moderate political posturing, and how much might be a real chance of e.g. shutting down in March.  If you really had to suspend classes, it would presumably have significant ripple effects for years.

Hard not to see it as tremendously irresponsible governing in the state of Illinois.  It seems they've given up on one year's budget for the state, and are instead thinking about the next.

talksalot

I opened a new thread "Off Topic" to follow this news story.

talksalot

Thursday 1/21

Valpo RPI started the night at 27   Opponents go 3-1 on the night! 

After IPFW won and Chicago State lost, the RPI is back to 25... slipped to 26... waiting for the Belmont and Oregon finals to post and re-calibrate on Nolan...... and it goes back to 25.

IPFW (16-5, 5-1) 79  North Dakota State 74 - nice win over the #134 Bison, IPFW RPI was 65 going into the game.... and 56 afterward.
Grand Canyon 90 Chicago State (4-18) 65; Cougar RPI is 336
Oregon (15-4) 89 USC 81... Oregon's RPI is 7
Belmont (14-6) 82 Tennessee-Martin 72... Bruin RPI was 92 before the game went final, now up to 88

wh

Quote from: talksalot on January 20, 2016, 03:42:33 PM
Terry Foster's insider story dateline today:

http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012016aab.html

Talk about a tell-all article.  Kampe obviously has a lot of self confidence to allow a reporter this level of access and freedom during what is obviously a very frustrating time for their players and coaches alike. It leaves me with kind of a strange feeling. It's like when someone bares their soul to you, the last thing you feel like doing is kicking them when they're down. I think I may need some counseling. ???

justducky

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2016, 12:00:28 AMIt's like when someone bares their soul to you, the last thing you feel like doing is kicking them when they're down. I think I may need some counseling.
Once again let me recommend my esteemed colleague Dr. Quack.

Not that either is an opponent but I just watched the completed Gonzaga, St. Mary's game and am still convinced that we are slightly better than both. Yes Sabonis (Zags) would be a handful for Alec, Jubril, or Vashil but we would give them many matchup problems as well.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on January 22, 2016, 12:45:39 AM
Quote from: wh on January 22, 2016, 12:00:28 AMIt's like when someone bares their soul to you, the last thing you feel like doing is kicking them when they're down. I think I may need some counseling.
Once again let me recommend my esteemed colleague Dr. Quack.

Not that either is an opponent but I just watched the completed Gonzaga, St. Mary's game and am still convinced that we are slightly better than both. Yes Sabonis (Zags) would be a handful for Alec, Jubril, or Vashil but we would give them many matchup problems as well.
I don't think any of Valpo's players would be that stupid to intentionally foul up 1 with 4 seconds left.

talksalot

Friday 1/22
UIC @ Northern Kentucky... Norse (is?) are giving 12.
St.Peters @ Iona... in the battle for first place, the Gaels are giving 6.5 at home
Rhode Island @ George Washington... GW is giving 5 points

Note on the Rhody game:   

WASHINGTON -- The George Washington men's basketball game vs. Rhode Island on Friday, Jan. 22nd has been moved to 5:00 pm. The game was originally scheduled to be played at 7:00 pm. Admission to the game will be free to all fans.
     :thumbsup:

"We were informed today at 5:00 that due to the forecasted winter storm scheduled to hit the area tomorrow, ESPN would no longer be able to broadcast our game," said Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Nero. "On account of this news, we are going to move the game to 5:00 pm in order to facilitate easier travel to and from the game for our loyal fans."   [note:  the Washington DC Transportation District announced that all METRO service will stop running at 4pm.    ESPN SportsCenter announcer this morning was "taking the Over" on the 23.5" of snow expected through tomorrow]

The game will also be streamed live on the Internet via RaiseHigh Live through GWsports.com.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 22, 2016, 08:09:33 AM"On account of this news, we are going to move the game to 5:00 pm in order to facilitate easier travel to and from the game for our loyal fans."   [note:  the Washington DC Transportation District announced that all METRO service will stop running at 4pm.    ESPN SportsCenter announcer this morning was "taking the Over" on the 23.5" of snow expected through tomorrow]

I guess Rhode Island doesn't have anywhere to be until Wednesday... Could still be a mild adventure getting back to the hotel.

Someone, maybe Paul Oren on the local radio program, was expressing concern about the weather as it might affect VU.  Earlier in the week, I didn't see much of anything forecast for Dayton or Northern Kentucky. But, I've been hearing about ice warnings in KY, and now I see a winter storm warning for 3-6" overnight in Highland Heights, KY.  Getting to Sunday's game could be interesting - when I lived in Kentucky in the 90's there wasn't much by way of snow removal equipment.

talksalot

Saturday 1/23 
Ball State @ Eastern Michigan
Oakland @ Green Bay
Utah Valley @ Chicago State
Detroit @ Milwaukee
UCLA @ Oregon
Tennessee State @ Belmont
IUPUI @ IPFW

(Nice of the HL to schedule the Valpo game to end before the NFL games kickoff)
Sunday 1/24
Youngstown State @ Cleveland State
UIC @ Wright State
USC @ Oregon State
Iona @ Fairfield
Southern Illinois @ Missouri State
Evansville @ Indiana State

talksalot

Things in DC are still "Fluid"...  Rhody's game moved AGAIN...

WASHINGTON -- The George Washington men's basketball game vs. Rhode Island on Friday, Jan. 22nd has been changed to 3:00 pm and will now be played as a double-header with the GW women's basketball vs. George Mason game which tips-off at 12:00 pm. Admission to the games will be free to all fans.

"With the earlier than forecasted arrival of the impending storm we are changing our game to 3:00 pm to allow for safe travel home from the game for our loyal fans and Rhode Island," said Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Nero.

The game will be streamed live on the Internet via RaiseHigh through GWsports.com. Originally set for a 7 pm tip, the game was moved up to 5:00 before the additional change to 3:00 was warranted due to the early arrival of snow.

nkvu

Quote from: agibson on January 22, 2016, 08:53:33 AM
Quote from: talksalot on January 22, 2016, 08:09:33 AM"On account of this news, we are going to move the game to 5:00 pm in order to facilitate easier travel to and from the game for our loyal fans."   [note:  the Washington DC Transportation District announced that all METRO service will stop running at 4pm.    ESPN SportsCenter announcer this morning was "taking the Over" on the 23.5" of snow expected through tomorrow]

I guess Rhode Island doesn't have anywhere to be until Wednesday... Could still be a mild adventure getting back to the hotel.

Someone, maybe Paul Oren on the local radio program, was expressing concern about the weather as it might affect VU.  Earlier in the week, I didn't see much of anything forecast for Dayton or Northern Kentucky. But, I've been hearing about ice warnings in KY, and now I see a winter storm warning for 3-6" overnight in Highland Heights, KY.  Getting to Sunday's game could be interesting - when I lived in Kentucky in the 90's there wasn't much by way of snow removal equipment.

Been following the radar and it's possible the worst of the snow may go east of us. Still early though. We'll see what comes through tonight.