• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Tennis

Started by VULB#62, November 19, 2015, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

MLB announced Tammy Cecchini as the head coach of the women's tennis team back on October 14th.  We knew her background from previous releases (Penn State #1, and stuff).  Being in the same household with HFBC Dave, I think they'll compare notes on recruiting (just like I am sure the Avery's do).  Well, Tammy signed her first recruit.  I'll bet there will be more to come and the women's tennis team will be neck and neck with men's tennis in terms of success.

Now, if we can just get M&WT&F (and M&W swimming and women's golf) to recruit as hard........  ;)

VULB#62

valpotx

Coach Cecchini seems to be having success in recruiting, more so than her predecessor.  Hopefully this is a sign that we have this team improving, similar to men's tennis a few years ago. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo tundra

Valpo will be losing their number 1 player this year to early graduation after next year.  Otherwise, the girls are strong on academics and have a noticible optimism that should change the tide next year.

VULB#62

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2019/8/12/tammy-cecchini-named-head-womens-tennis-coach-at-bucknell.aspx

FYI —- Paul posted a tweet about it and here is the Bucknell link. Tammy Cecchini is the new head women's tennis coach. Why is that not surprising?  She takes over a 14-2 program from last year. Good luck Tammy.

valpotx

She deserves it on her own.  She recruited some top players to Valpo in her time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on August 13, 2019, 01:27:02 AM
She deserves it on her own.  She recruited some top players to Valpo in her time.

And she starts off with a much stronger player  nucleus and a bigger budget at Bucknell than she had at Valpo.

IndyValpo

Here is an amazing stat. Valpo won less than 15% of their team matches for Cecchini. Yet she was light years better than her predecessor where the won less than 10%. Demonstrates who low this program is.

VULB#62

Interesting stats Indy. And it is in line with most non-renevue sports at Valpo in that sports like swimming, CC, T&F, WT and WG will occasionally produce some outstanding individuals and record holders, but the depth just isn't there, so those teams usually are fighting to get out of conference basements. I believe that was the case with MT and MG, but over the last few years both those programs have increased their depth of  talent and have done quite respectably as teams.

valpotx

Yes, though the win % didn't skyrocket, the talent level was very different.
"Don't mess with Texas"