• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Is fishing a sport?

Started by sectionee, July 25, 2011, 07:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

Took my 5 year old out today to a bayou of the Kankakee.  I was barely able to get my line wet as he just kept pulling in bluegill after bluegill.  He finished with probably 25 or so.  I did manage to catch 4 bluegills and I lost a big dogfish boatside.  E kept asking if I was having a bad day since I wasn't catching much.  Someday he will understand that today was one of the best days on the water I've ever had.

milanmiracle

First off, that's awesome. What a fantastic way to spend a day. Some of my best memories are fishing with my Dad. Nothing better than reeling in fish after fish when you are a young kid, it doesn't matter how big or what kind they are. You're truly blessed!

That said, anything I can do sitting down and drinking isn't a sport. Just saying...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpopal

Looks like you and your son had a great day, and the photos are terrific. There is a quote about sports attributed to the great record-producing fisherman Ernest Hemingway (though no evidence he actually said it exists): "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."