• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Howard, Van Zant to Europe

Started by rlh, July 29, 2011, 09:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

In case you haven't seen it, Howard has signed to play in Greece and Van Zant to play in Finland.  I wonder if Howard would have waited for the NBA if it weren't for the lock out.  I think more and more guys will be following their example soon.

valpotx

I assume you are talking about Ron Howard and not Howard Little?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofan56

Quote from: valpotx on July 29, 2011, 11:31:30 AM

Are you serious? He's clearly talking about Matt Howard.

covufan

Quote from: valpofan56 on July 29, 2011, 11:40:29 AM

It is Butler's Matt Howard and Shawn Vanzant.  Can't blame them - a year playing in Europe, then free agents.

valpotx

Quote from: valpofan56 on July 29, 2011, 11:40:29 AM

You never know, Ron Howard was a D-League all-star last year, was a final cut of the Bucks, and almost signed with the Knicks before FIBA made him adhere to his contract with the NBL (Australia).  I read the statement as implying that he was close last year, so would he have waited during the lock-out to achieve it.  I figured Matt Howard would wait, so didn't even think about him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: rlh on July 29, 2011, 09:26:36 AM
In case you haven't seen it, Howard has signed to play in Greece and Van Zant to play in Finland.  I wonder if Howard would have waited for the NBA if it weren't for the lock out.  I think more and more guys will be following their example soon.

Great question about the impact of the lockout on Matt's decision making process.  Here's a local radio interview where he talks about all the things to consider.  http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155 (You have to page through the podcasts to find Matt's interview from 7/5/11).

rlh

Sorry, I assumed everyone would know I was talking about Matt Howard and Shawn Van Zant of Butler.  Never even thought about Ron Howard, although he continues to pursue his dream and has gotten closer than most of us thought he would.  I hope he makes it.....

vu72

Not to hyjack the thread but I enjoyed the Matt Howard interview, and, if you go back a little further, (7/1) you'll find an interview with Bryce.  I don't think it has been posted here before and it talks alittle about next year's schedule.  Lots of mid-majors.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

Smart!. Why schedule the likes of Duke,MSU,UNC when you can play IUPUI,IPFW,N.IL.,Oakland,others. Hell,coach Bryce may have a winning season in store for us. Go Valpo!

agibson

I sure hope it's a winning season! Though, depending on how you count, I guess we're close to 50-50 in the last years...

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on July 29, 2011, 02:42:05 PM
Not to hyjack the thread but I enjoyed the Matt Howard interview, and, if you go back a little further, (7/1) you'll find an interview with Bryce.  I don't think it has been posted here before and it talks alittle about next year's schedule.  Lots of mid-majors.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

FWIW, I think Dan has done a great job with his radio show and ESPN game analysis.  I think his show was on 89.1FM in the region ... is it still there?  He's always talking up the region and promoting the local eating spots to anyone travelling to NW Indiana.