• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo players in the minors

Started by covufan, July 29, 2011, 11:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

I took a look at the Valpo players in the minors.  

Bryce Shafer is currently with the Boise Hawks (A - Short Season) after starting the year with Peoria Chiefs.  Appears to have done well both places, and I think is the main closer for the Boise team, vice bullpen/setup for Peoria.  

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=592733

Bo McClendon is playing for the Connecticut Tigers (A - Short Season) after playing with the Gulf Coast League Tigers (Rookie ball) last year.  He appears to be struggling at the plate and for playing time.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=595317

Kyle Gaedele is playing for the Eugene Emeralds (A - Short Season) after being drafted earlier this year.  He is struggling at the plate, but appears to be starting most games.  His OBP is OK, considering his BA.  Of the hitters on the roster, only the SS has more games played.  

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543191

Good luck to all of the VU players as they continue their dream to play MLB!

valpotx

I check their stats every few days as well. 

You missed Jon Gulbransen who is playing for the Great Falls Voyagers, on the Chicago White Sox Rookie-Pioneer League team.  He signed as a free agent, and is struggling as well. 

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t581&t=p_pbp&pid=608028

Bryce Shafer looks to be doing very well in averaging over 1k per inning, and is their closer currently.  I thought it was a mistake when he left after his Jr year to sign out of the 49th round (I think that was the round), but it may pay off for him. 

Bo is on the team because of his father as several people have stated, though it does look like he has a good OBP in limited AB's. 

Gaedele is going to struggle for a bit to adjust to the higher level pitching, as he struck out a lot in college as well against pitching that isn't near the level he is facing now.  I think once he gets it down, he can be successful. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Just checked all their stats again tonight, and saw that Bo McClendon's stat page now lists him as 'voluntarily retired.'  Hopefully nothing injury-related.  Even though he didn't get to play much in his 1 1/2 seasons of pro ball, he was able to achieve many kid's dreams, so congrats to him and I wish him well throughout his next career.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on August 02, 2011, 01:51:33 AM
Just checked all their stats again tonight, and saw that Bo McClendon's stat page now lists him as 'voluntarily retired.'  Hopefully nothing injury-related.  Even though he didn't get to play much in his 1 1/2 seasons of pro ball, he was able to achieve many kid's dreams, so congrats to him and I wish him well throughout his next career.

At least he was asked back again this year.  How many late round draft picks never make it out of rookie ball?  Congrats and best wishes to Bo!

valporun

Quote from: covufan on August 02, 2011, 05:42:50 PM

At least he was asked back again this year.  How many late round draft picks never make it out of rookie ball?  Congrats and best wishes to Bo!

In some cases, with the rookie and short-season teams, unless the parent club cuts them out, after scout evaluations, some of the late round picks will stay until they know that they aren't going to go anywhere. They just end up as long-term roster fillers. If they don't pan out there, then they'll go the route of indy ball, and hope an affiliated team will come along and want them.

covufan

Quote from: valporun on August 03, 2011, 10:51:25 AM

In some cases, with the rookie and short-season teams, unless the parent club cuts them out, after scout evaluations, some of the late round picks will stay until they know that they aren't going to go anywhere. They just end up as long-term roster fillers. If they don't pan out there, then they'll go the route of indy ball, and hope an affiliated team will come along and want them.

If Jamie Moyer had listened to his father-in-law, he would have retired 18 seasons too soon!  Need to have self-confidence and mental toughness to make it through the minor leagues.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on August 09, 2011, 05:12:26 PM
Quote from: valporun on August 03, 2011, 10:51:25 AM

If Jamie Moyer had listened to his father-in-law, he would have retired 18 seasons too soon!  Need to have self-confidence and mental toughness to make it through the minor leagues.

Oh, and lots of ability!

valpotx

As well as the ability to suffer financially for several years if you don't make it right away  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on August 10, 2011, 11:35:33 PM
As well as the ability to suffer financially for several years if you don't make it right away  :)

This is why you see a lot of minor league players taking on the jobs in gas stations, fast food/restaurant service, (if degreed) substitute teaching, or other jobs that would be easy to leave or get a "leave of absence" from, so they can keep playing ball, but have some work to return to, if baseball isn't going anywhere.

jetz

$1500/month roughly to start in the minors, and paid during the season only.  Ride the bus, stay in the hotel designated for you by the home team, and bring your own bats.  Much lower class than many of these guys were used to in college.  You have to want it badly to stick with it ....  8)
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Wow, even I didn't know you had to provide your own bats!  I do that in my weekend league now on the semi-prof side, can't imagine that as a prof!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on August 29, 2011, 01:13:09 PM
Wow, even I didn't know you had to provide your own bats!  I do that in my weekend league now on the semi-prof side, can't imagine that as a prof!!

I think once you get into Triple A, the parent club provides the organization some money towards bats for the players?

jetz

Quote from: valporun on August 29, 2011, 03:01:34 PM
Quote from: valpotx on August 29, 2011, 01:13:09 PM

I think once you get into Triple A, the parent club provides the organization some money towards bats for the players?
Yeah I would agree.  My info comes from a couple guys in A ball this year.  The hotel thing varies widely. The best an A team can hope for is a Marriott, which is great for them when they get it.  More often its something like a Super 8 though...I heard rumors about the catchers bringing their own stuff as well, but have no idea if that's true...

At Valpo, most of the gear is provided, but players are responsible for gloves, and they need to fundraise for cleats.  Probably pretty normal at a smaller D1.  Let's get an alum from Louisville Slugger/Nike/Adidas on board.... 8)
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Yes, we had catching gear and a few bats provided based on donations.  Other fundraising was done for equipment, but cleats, batting gloves, fielding gloves and most bats were on your own.
"Don't mess with Texas"