• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

BU fans want new conference affiliation

Started by wh, July 31, 2011, 03:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

http://buhoops.yuku.com/topic/7816/Time-for-a-new-conference-affiliation

I'm sure they're thinking the time is right to capitalize on their recent success, but I don't see it happening.  Butler is a Pamida with an outstanding electronics section that rivals anything Walmart or Target has.  Unfortunately, other than electronics they're just another Pamida.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: wh on July 31, 2011, 03:05:52 PM

I'm sure they're thinking the time is right to capitalize on their recent success, but I don't see it happening.  Butler is a Pamida with an outstanding electronics section that rivals anything Walmart or Target has.  Unfortunately, other than electronics they're just another Pamida.

what's pamida?

rlh

Quote from: vuweathernerd on July 31, 2011, 03:22:15 PM

what's pamida?
A Wal-mart imitation

valpopal

They seem to want to move to the A-10, which would be expensive and impractical due to extensive travel in schedule. Also, I don't see any real advantage since Sagarin had the two conferences ranked almost evenly at the end of the season:

9  ATLANTIC 10             =  75.28
10  HORIZON                =  74.88

wh

Quote from: rlh on July 31, 2011, 03:39:57 PM

what's pamida?
A Wal-mart imitation
Pamida has 200 stores in 17 states (mostly upper Midwest).  They are general merchandise retail stores that reside in mostly smaller communities not large enough to attract the Walmarts, Targets and K-Marts of the retail world.  The stores themselves are somewhat smaller and yet still offer a variety of merchandise at reasonable prices.  With rare exception, they could never compete head-to-head with the big boys, and they don't try.  They have a similar business model, only on a smaller scale. 

rlh

This just shows some Butler fans ignorance....it's about more than just men's basketball y'all

vu72

Could have sworn I posted this brillance before, but, what the Butler faithful need is a fourth or fifth place finish in men's basketball to bring them back to reality.  This could be the year!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

In fairness (though I'm not sure when they all were posted), several of the Butler fans appear to have raised the same points as have been highlighted above.  Issues with cost of travel for all the other sports and that the A-10 was not that much better than the HL were all mentioned.

In fact, one of the Butler fans even noted that HL play seems to have prepared Butler pretty well for the NCAA tournament -- an excellent point.

valpofan56

Quote from: wh on July 31, 2011, 05:00:32 PM

what's pamida?
A Wal-mart imitation
Pamida has 200 stores in 17 states (mostly upper Midwest).  They are general merchandise retail stores that reside in mostly smaller communities not large enough to attract the Walmarts, Targets and K-Marts of the retail world.  The stores themselves are somewhat smaller and yet still offer a variety of merchandise at reasonable prices.  With rare exception, they could never compete head-to-head with the big boys, and they don't try.  They have a similar business model, only on a smaller scale. 

Haha. This is great! There was a Pamida in the town I grew up in (in central MN) until about the mid 90's when a Walmart came to town.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpofan56 on July 31, 2011, 10:11:52 PM
Quote from: wh on July 31, 2011, 05:00:32 PM

what's pamida?
A Wal-mart imitation

Haha. This is great! There was a Pamida in the town I grew up in (in central MN) until about the mid 90's when a Walmart came to town.

sounds like your town improved with wal-mart. does pamida still exist anywhere?

staxawax

A Pamida eh?   Whatever floats your boat.  The "get out of the Ho League" thread pops up every year, sometimes multiple times.  I'm sure 'ya all wanted out of the old Mid-Con for quite a few years. 

As usual on a message board, the few that are ignorant of what's at stake are singled out and quoted on another board.  Most of us know Butler is not going anywhere, much less the A10.  Am I happy with the Horizon?  No.  Is there a current alternative out there?  No.  It would take a major shakeup of the A10, MVC and Big East......... then a basketball only league with Butler, Xavier, Marquette, Dayton, Depaul, Memphis, WKU, SIU........ schools within a days drive of Indy that don't play D1 football to satisfy me.  Yes, I know this won't happen, so, as I've said many a time on the Butler board, the alternative is to improve the play in the Ho League.  Valpo, CSU, Detroit (except for it's coach) and maybe Loyola (which has quite a few nice recruits interested) are doing their part. 

Calling Butler a Pamida might get some laughs, but it shows there is ignorance on every message board.  Pamida's don't go to the championship game once, let alone consecutive years.

motowntitan

Quote from: staxawax on August 01, 2011, 06:41:20 PM
A Pamida eh?   Whatever floats your boat.  The "get out of the Ho League" thread pops up every year, sometimes multiple times.  I'm sure 'ya all wanted out of the old Mid-Con for quite a few years. 

As usual on a message board, the few that are ignorant of what's at stake are singled out and quoted on another board.  Most of us know Butler is not going anywhere, much less the A10.  Am I happy with the Horizon?  No.  Is there a current alternative out there?  No.  It would take a major shakeup of the A10, MVC and Big East......... then a basketball only league with Butler, Xavier, Marquette, Dayton, Depaul, Memphis, WKU, SIU........ schools within a days drive of Indy that don't play D1 football to satisfy me.  Yes, I know this won't happen, so, as I've said many a time on the Butler board, the alternative is to improve the play in the Ho League.  Valpo, CSU, Detroit (except for it's coach) and maybe Loyola (which has quite a few nice recruits interested) are doing their part. 

Calling Butler a Pamida might get some laughs, but it shows there is ignorance on every message board.  Pamida's don't go to the championship game once, let alone consecutive years.

I would add that UWM is doing it's part as well. 

zvillehaze

I'm on board with Stax.  I'm always optimistic that the Horizon becomes a consistent multi-bid league, but that takes more than one team to put together an at-large resume.  That starts with scheduling, but more importantly, requires that teams who are talented (like Valpo and Milwaukee last year) play with focus and effort in each and every game of the season.  The margin for error is razor thin for all non-BCS teams ... you can't afford to let early season games slip away.

IMO, the biggest obstacle the Horizon is facing is that too many (usually 9) teams/fan bases start the season with the mindset that pre-conference/conference games don't matter that much, because they have to win the league tourney to get to the NCAAT anyway.  Until multiple teams harbor and work toward NCAAT at-large aspirations, the Horizon will remain exactly what it is.

But like I said, I'm an optimist, so maybe this will be the year we see two (or three or four!) teams in the dance.   :thumbsup: 

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on July 31, 2011, 08:37:46 PM
Could have sworn I posted this brillance before, but, what the Butler faithful need is a fourth or fifth place finish in men's basketball to bring them back to reality.  This could be the year!   ;)

So, is that your prediction?  Can I assume you have Valpo finishing better than fourth or fifth?

wh

Quote from: staxawax on August 01, 2011, 06:41:20 PM

It wasn't intended to get a laugh, and it wasn't intended to be critical of Butler basketball.  I have nothing but admiration for what Butler has accomplished in men's basketball.  For re-clarification, Pamida is your entire athletic program, not your men's basketball program.  Note my original post:

Butler is a Pamida with an outstanding electronics section that rivals anything Walmart or Target has.  Unfortunately, other than electronics they're just another Pamida.

Interpretation: Your basketball program (electronics section) has accomplished more than almost everyone in the Big 6 (Walmarts/Targets) over the past 2-4 years.  Unfortunately, in every other respect your athletic program (the rest of your store) is strictly mid-major - mid-major budget, mid-major talent.  That's not being critical, it's just calling a spade a spade.  Compared to the vast majority of major programs, Butler is a very small private university with limited funds to spend to build a big time athletic program.  The only ignorance expressed about this subject are people on your board thinking that having a great men's basketball program is all it takes to go to the next level.  The biggest laugh would come from your Athletic Director if he ever read any of the incessant "why don't we move up" posts on your board.

staxawax

.........which is precisely why Butler would only work in a BBL only conference if it looked elsewhere. 

I'll give you your clever "Pamida" reference, but it only makes the rest of the HL look like the corner liquor store, considering the mid-major rest of our program still dominates the league.

valpotx

I'd be careful about saying that the rest of your program 'dominates' the league.  Baseball has never been a strong part of Butler (we always looked forward to playing/beating Butler), neither has softball, though the softball team did better this year than year's past.  Your soccer teams are good, but tennis appears middle of the pack.  Volleyball did well last year, but not in the several years before that when compared to the top teams (Milwaukee, Valpo).  Obviously, success in T&F/CC goes with Butler, but the only sport you truly 'dominate' is men's basketball when looking at the standings in the last few years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

staxawax

I shouldn't have gone down that road as I did exaggerate.  But, I'm glad you get such delight at beating Butler in baseball.  Did Valpo win any league championships this past season, or are they still "0-for"?

Horizon League
Titles per University
Milwaukee    106
Butler    93
UIC    56
Detroit    44
Loyola of Chicago    42
Green Bay    41
Wright State    36
Cleveland State    22
Youngstown State    13
Valparaiso    0

Yeah, I know..........just 5 years in the league.  But something, anything.

zvillehaze

Oops ... I don't like where this discussion is heading.  Just like extras in an old Western movie, I'm running for cover before the gunfight breaks out on the main street!   :-\

staxawax

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 02, 2011, 06:19:48 AM
Oops ... I don't like where this discussion is heading.  Just like extras in an old Western movie, I'm running for cover before the gunfight breaks out on the main street!   :-\
So right haze.......... I'm done here and should have just let the Pamida comment go.  I'm just not smart enough to figure these things out sometimes!  Peace Valpo!

valpotx

Quote from: staxawax on August 02, 2011, 05:50:02 AM
I shouldn't have gone down that road as I did exaggerate.  But, I'm glad you get such delight at beating Butler in baseball.  Did Valpo win any league championships this past season, or are they still "0-for"?

Horizon League
Titles per University
Milwaukee    106
Butler    93
UIC    56
Detroit    44
Loyola of Chicago    42
Green Bay    41
Wright State    36
Cleveland State    22
Youngstown State    13
Valparaiso    0

Yeah, I know..........just 5 years in the league.  But something, anything.

The issue with your statement is that you claimed Butler's overall program dominates the HL, when only men's basketball could make such a claim.  Winning a title every few years in a sport is not dominating anything.  Butler has only had consecutive championship wins in men's basketball from what I am seeing in the HL archives.  I never made any comment about Valpo dominating anything, so your attempted incendiary remark about our program really is just you backing away from your false statement...

My baseball comment simply had to do with personal experience when we knew we were playing Butler, as the program obviously does not place a lot of emphasis on the sport.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: staxawax on August 02, 2011, 08:59:17 AM
So right haze.......... I'm done here and should have just let the Pamida comment go.  I'm just not smart enough to figure these things out sometimes!  Peace Valpo!

I poked some fun at some of your fans for thinking your basketball success puts you in position to move to prime time, and you returned a nice shot about our impressive "titles won" performance since joining the HL.  Pretty harmless summertime fun, I say.   

By the way, I don't know which bothers me worse - Milw 106 titles Valpo 0 or YSU 13 titles Valpo 0.  ;)

covufan

Quote from: staxawax on August 02, 2011, 05:50:02 AM
I shouldn't have gone down that road as I did exaggerate.  But, I'm glad you get such delight at beating Butler in baseball.  Did Valpo win any league championships this past season, or are they still "0-for"?

Horizon League
Titles per University
Milwaukee    106
Butler    93
UIC    56
Detroit    44
Loyola of Chicago    42
Green Bay    41
Wright State    36
Cleveland State    22
Youngstown State    13
Valparaiso    0

Yeah, I know..........just 5 years in the league.  But something, anything.

# Titles   # Years in HL   Titles per year
Milwaukee       106   18   5.888888889
Butler           93   32   2.90625
UIC            56   18   3.111111111
Detroit            44   32   1.375
Loyola of Chicago       42   32   1.3125
Green Bay       41   18   2.277777778
Wright State       36   18   2
Cleveland State       22   18   1.222222222
Youngstown State      13   11   1.181818182
Valparaiso       0   5   0

Yes Butler may have a lot of titles, but both UIC and Milwaukee have more titles per year in the HL. 

Valpo clearly needs to step up their effort in all sports, which I think we are doing.  Hopefully, we'll see some improvement in the next 5 years.

vu72

Quote from: wh on August 02, 2011, 02:30:09 PM
Quote from: staxawax on August 02, 2011, 08:59:17 AM
Oops ... I don't like where this discussion is heading.  Just like extras in an old Western movie, I'm running for cover before the gunfight breaks out on the main stre

et!   :-\

I poked some fun at some of your fans for thinking your basketball success puts you in position to move to prime time, and you returned a nice shot about our impressive "titles won" performance since joining the HL.  Pretty harmless summertime fun, I say.   

By the way, I don't know which bothers me worse - Milw 106 titles Valpo 0 or YSU 13 titles Valpo 0.  ;)

YSU's titles all have come in track and field, I believe.  those are sports in which Valpo fields about a quarter of a full squad.  As a result we have had individual conference championships in those sports but will likely never have a team championship.  Same goes for Swimming and Diving
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on August 02, 2011, 06:07:40 PM

YSU's titles all have come in track and field, I believe.  those are sports in which Valpo fields about a quarter of a full squad.  As a result we have had individual conference championships in those sports but will likely never have a team championship.  Same goes for Swimming and Diving

Why do we participate in these sports unless we're going to have full teams?  No team competition, no chance for team wins, an embarrassing public perception that we're either too small or too inept to pull together a full team.  It seems so obviously ridiculous that I'm wondering if there is more to the story than this?