• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ml

Always interesting to read what people know for "a fact" and what they believe has and has not been done for or invested in men's basketball.

NativeCheesehead

That's true. But tangible is tangible. The new floor and scoreboard are nice. But our basketball facility is still woefully inadequate. The large recruiting gift was awesome but that is largely due to the Drew family and not the admin. I don't think it's fair to point fingers at our AD or Pres, who, for all we know, are maybe working on something right now. But I would love to see a plan for the long term improvements to the ARC. The season ticket holder event before the season would be a perfect time to unveil it with a nice large rendering on an easel at the end of the food line and information on how to make a nice tax deductible donation to help make it happen.

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 03, 2016, 01:19:45 PM
That's true. But tangible is tangible. The new floor and scoreboard are nice. But our basketball facility is still woefully inadequate. The large recruiting gift was awesome but that is largely due to the Drew family and not the admin. I don't think it's fair to point fingers at our AD or Pres, who, for all we know, are maybe working on something right now. But I would love to see a plan for the long term improvements to the ARC. The season ticket holder event before the season would be a perfect time to unveil it with a nice large rendering on an easel at the end of the food line and information on how to make a nice tax deductible donation to help make it happen.

This is REALLY pretty funny.  Did you realize that the comment to which you were referring was posted by the AD himself??  I'm sure he is agreeing with your plan not to blame the AD!!!    :rotfl:

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

If that's true (not saying it isn't, this is my first season here) shouldn't he have a confirmed or admin account? That's a pretty snarky and crappy comment for an AD to be making on a fan board. Of course he would know more than any of us on here. But let's say that it is... ML, assuming your advocating behind the scenes for ARC improvements, you're doing a great job with the MBB program. But new contract for Dorow? Really?   

VU75

The story I've heard is that the donations are there for the Arc renovations, but nothing can go forward until the fieldhouse is done.  Until then the Arc is the only facility available for student rec use.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU75 on April 03, 2016, 02:47:44 PM
The story I've heard is that the donations are there for the Arc renovations, but nothing can go forward until the fieldhouse is done.  Until then the Arc is the only facility available for student rec use.

We could understand this better if we knew what was planned for renovations, but no one seems to know this outside of the university leadership and nothing has been released to the general public that I am aware of.  Could some renovations go in immediately without disturbing other activities (i.e, Close off the concessions room wall on the gym side and install full bleachers at the east end to match the west end, create a new access to concessions, replace south bleachers with chair backs like the north side)? Could some other renovations go in over the summer -- that's pretty much May 15 - August 15 (3 months)?  Does it have to be all at once? 

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on April 02, 2016, 03:57:32 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 02, 2016, 02:32:04 PM
wow, negative nancy.  Roger Powell would not follow Bryce if Mark and administration offer him the head job here. Powell would have a choice to continue to sit behind the head coach far away from home, or he could have his own program near his upbringing and recruiting grounds. 

Our friend wh has always had a sore spot when it comes to facilities.  I would beg to differ however.  Sure, we need upgrades but they don't win games, players and coaches do.

Let's take a quick look at a similar mid-major who invested over $26 million in new facilities during 2011.  It is akin to us building a new rec center and then redoing/modernizing the ARC.  Their results?  Over the last 5 years they have had onewinning season which resulted in a second round loss in the CBI. They are a much larger school with a much larger alumni base.

One other small point. wh missed the improvements added in 2011.  A new four sided scoreboard, new shot clocks, LED lights around the backboards and, a brand new floor.  And there is a major effort by the fund raising folks to find a lead donor for the rec center.  Progress is underway.

You are always pretty positive when it comes to Valpo, and that is admirable, but wh isn't necessarily wrong.  From the looks of your post, it looks like you are referencing Loyola, who committed $20 or so million in 2011--and if you are, the criticism is unfair IMO. Loyola actually revamped their gym twice over a 15 year period I believe--and they won the CBI.  They have put Valpo to shame from a facility enhancement standpoint.

The ARC had original scoreboards since the Reagan administration before they were attended to.  And the floor?  It was noted here by a poster or two that it was dead in spots and a potential health hazard if I remember correctly.  Replacing the floor was almost akin to re-sodding a potholed and torn up football field in my mind.  It wasn't necessarily an improvement per se, but standard necessary maintenance to keep the participants who use it safe.

You want to use these examples as improvements and as some firm commitment to the program, be my guest. And for the record, I'm glad that something was at least done to help make the facility better.  I'm not going to knock them or the effort in getting those projects done.  But to be fair, the ARC has been neglected for so long that anything would almost be considered as an improvement, whether or not it borders or teeters on standard maintenance. So on these points, you say tah-may-tow and I say tah-mah-tow.

My $0.02.

vu72

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 03, 2016, 03:37:41 PM
wow, negative nancy.  Roger Powell would not follow Bryce if Mark and administration offer him the head job here. Powell would have a choice to continue to sit behind the head coach far away from home, or he could have his own program near his upbringing and recruiting grounds. 

Our friend wh has always had a sore spot when it comes to facilities.  I would beg to differ however.  Sure, we need upgrades but they don't win games, players and coaches do.

Let's take a quick look at a similar mid-major who invested over $26 million in new facilities during 2011.  It is akin to us building a new rec center and then redoing/modernizing the ARC.  Their results?  Over the last 5 years they have had onewinning season which resulted in a second round loss in the CBI. They are a much larger school with a much larger alumni base.

One other small point. wh missed the improvements added in 2011.  A new four sided scoreboard, new shot clocks, LED lights around the backboards and, a brand new floor.  And there is a major effort by the fund raising folks to find a lead donor for the rec center.  Progress is underway.

You are always pretty positive when it comes to Valpo, and that is admirable, but wh isn't necessarily wrong.  From the looks of your post, it looks like you are referencing Loyola, who committed $20 or so million in 2011--and if you are, the criticism is unfair IMO. Loyola actually revamped their gym twice over a 15 year period I believe--and they won the CBI.  They have put Valpo to shame from a facility enhancement standpoint.

The ARC had original scoreboards since the Reagan administration before they were attended to.  And the floor?  It was noted here by a poster or two that it was dead in spots and a potential health hazard if I remember correctly.  Replacing the floor was almost akin to re-sodding a potholed and torn up football field in my mind.  It wasn't necessarily an improvement per se, but standard necessary maintenance to keep the participants who use it safe.

You want to use these examples as improvements and as some firm commitment to the program, be my guest. And for the record, I'm glad that something was at least done to help make the facility better.  I'm not going to knock them or the effort in getting those projects done.  But to be fair, the ARC has been neglected for so long that anything would almost be considered as an improvement, whether or not it borders or teeters on standard maintenance. So on these points, you say tah-may-tow and I say tah-mah-tow.

My $0.02.

tah-may-tow here.  Yes it is Loyola and you are correct that they won the CBI in the one year in the past five where they had a winning record.  I misread their record for that year.  I agree wholeheartedly that Loyola has done much more, to enhance their facilities, than Valpo--as it concerns men's basketball.  My point was specifically addressing wh's concern that we haven't made improvements and as  result we will fall on our collective faces if Bryce leaves.  My point is simply that spending  money doesn't in any way guarantee results.  Loyola did it, Loyola has a MUCH larger endowment, Loyola has a much bigger student and alumni base and they still stink. 

It is a tough problem for the AD as basketball is hardly the only sport where improvements are warranted.  Loyola doesn't even have a track.  We have a brand new one because??  Because we found a wealthy donor who wanted it built.  Mark has added several people to the fund raising effort and people with proven track records.  It will happen, I doubt anyone could put pen to paper relative to a specific time frame however.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

Uh oh,Bryce is the frontrunner for Vandy...hopefully that means that tomorrow he will sign a 10 year contract extension with Valpo.

NativeCheesehead

Chatter is really heating up on Bryce heading to either Vandy or GT.

valpo64

It is hard to believe that some people think that VU's MBB program will go to hell in a hand basket if Bryce leaves.   We all know that , most likely, at some time or another he will be gone.  On the other hand Bryce may be of the same makeup as Mark Few at Gonzaga.  Let's also give credit to ML for whats has developed to this point.  I have the impression that once the field house thing gets rolling that the ARC renovations will be right behind.  In case one wonders, there are many good young coaches in the country that I believe would jump at the chance to coach at VU.  That being said, let's hope that Bryce stays with a "new" deal.  He sure has earned it.   While MBB is our headline product,  there are many other facets to our total athletic program that have been and still need to be addressed.  Then there are University priorities which are  first and foremost.  Let's stay cool everybody.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on April 03, 2016, 03:59:19 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 03, 2016, 03:37:41 PM

My $0.02.

tah-may-tow here.  Yes it is Loyola and you are correct that they won the CBI in the one year in the past five where they had a winning record.  I misread their record for that year.  I agree wholeheartedly that Loyola has done much more, to enhance their facilities, than Valpo--as it concerns men's basketball.  My point was specifically addressing wh's concern that we haven't made improvements and as  result we will fall on our collective faces if Bryce leaves.  My point is simply that spending  money doesn't in any way guarantee results.  Loyola did it, Loyola has a MUCH larger endowment, Loyola has a much bigger student and alumni base and they still stink. 

It is a tough problem for the AD as basketball is hardly the only sport where improvements are warranted.  Loyola doesn't even have a track.  We have a brand new one because??  Because we found a wealthy donor who wanted it built.  Mark has added several people to the fund raising effort and people with proven track records.  It will happen, I doubt anyone could put pen to paper relative to a specific time frame however.

Right.  I'm not suggesting that Valpo will collapse if and when Bryce leaves, and I don't believe that to be the case. I don't really share wh's sentiment in that regard.  That said, my comments are more focused on the perceived frustration expressed by wh with respect to the lack of substantial investment and upgrades in the ARC over the last 25 or so years, or during the Drew era as a whole.  In that regard, I still think that he isn't necessarily wrong to express that frustration.  We've had three major capital campaigns, and as far as substantial ARC upgrades are concerned, we are 0-3 generally.  Meanwhile, a sister peer school like Loyola has revamped their venue facility twice in the last 20 years.

Yes, I agree with you--it is a tough problem for the AD across all sports.  With respect to the flagship sport however, my fear is that VU will justify not spending on ARC upgrades in the near future because of our NIT run, the thought being that we do not need to upgrade because we're well enough competitive already status quo.  I really hope that is not the case, but again, IMO, it's hard to question the justification for not thinking so when the ARC has been so neglected over the last campaigns--not to mention that we did nothing immediately after 1998, either.

Chairback

I'd make Vandy change their floor if I took the job.  A courtside seat is 1/2 mile from the out of bounds line.  If I remember correctly the team sits on the baseline by the basket.  You can't see crap if you are a coach.  I find it annoying as hell to watch a game with that court.

Need someone up in the booth with a second set of eyes helping like football. 

Students need to be in great shape to storm the court.  "I'm not running that far."

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 02, 2016, 10:52:01 AM
Someone on twitter reported Vandy

Wasn't the new rumor that Bryce was going to UAB?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Vinny

What is the ETA on this proposed field house? Have blueprints been developed/released for it? Wasn't it in the 30 year phase of the University's strategic plan? It seems like there are a lot of questions, but no answers. If the field house is in fact in the 30 year phase, and the ARC renovations are due AFTER that, Bryce would be approaching 70 years old by the time he gets his improved digs! Can any of us honestly blame him if he goes to greener grass?

Valparaiso University has a commitment to the institution as a whole, but I always thought it was in very good financial shape.  :( :( :(

usc4valpo

Is Valpo strapped for cash?

valpotx

I am getting so tired of reading their ESPN reports talking about how Bryce is taking either the GT or Vandy job, and that they are done deals.  From what 'people in the know' have said before, Bryce does not talk to anyone but his family about his intentions.  Are they just assuming that since he will be offered by both, that he will naturally accept?  This same crap was said about both Tulsa and Mississippi State, from what I remember (by ESPN people).
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

New facilities doesn't buy us NCAA appearances but it certainly is a HUGE selling point for recruits. I love the ARC but it is not a very good facility and doesn't help with the recruit pitch. We really do need a new building or at least sweeping renovations. I'm not optimistic we'll get the renovations or a new arena anytime soon. They really should be sinking more $ into the Men's Basketball program and investing for the long term health of the program, which equals into higher school morales which, equals more donations to the school. But first and foremost it starts with a great coach and we have one now, but if Bryce leaves I think Powell would be a solid replacement but no guarantee. Praying we can hold onto Bryce for at least 1 more year and by some miracle another 2 years.

valpotx

How large is Gonzaga's stadium?  It is just 6,000 in capacity, though obviously looks a bit nicer.  Bryce Drew can make Valpo a national player.  Not necessarily to Gonzaga's level, but pretty close.  He has shown that he can recruit top talent (or his assistants can), and he can develop project players.  I hope that he stays to take on that challenge, instead of just joining one of the big programs that refuses to schedule Valpo because they are afraid of what might happen...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

One interesting thing is if Bryce went to Georgia Tech the two Div I basketball coaches in Atlanta would be Bryce Drew and Ron Hunter at Georgia State. It would be Ron Hunter begging Bryce to schedule his school every year. Georgia Tech hasn't played Georgia State since 2008 which is after Ron Hunter took over the GS program. I wonder what that first phone call from Hunter to Bryce would be like.

"Well, hey there Bryce, long way from our days in the Mid-Con together."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

If Bryce truly does leave this time, I really hope that he makes his decision ASAP.  If he ends up taking Powell with him, we want to have time to get a quality candidate.  The longer this goes on, the more quality candidates we lose out on. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Was thinking about the same exact thing. Every time I hear another school hired a new coach I kinda sucks because maybe they could have been a bryce replacement option. Apparently Detroit landed a Very good up and coming assistant from Michigan

valpopal

With more reputable sources like Sports Illustrated now claiming Bryce will sign with Vanderbilt, I think it makes sense, as I mentioned in listing reasons when I first brought up the possibility. Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for an official announcement.

Quote from: valpopal on March 27, 2016, 12:35:30 PMVanderbilt is a private university in an interesting city not too far from Valpo and family members, with high academics and an endowment of over $4 billion. I don't think there are any seniors among the basketball team's starters, the coach's salary is about $2 million per year, plus Vandy is in the SEC, where they finished just 2 games behind Kentucky. Finally, it is another "VU"! I hope I'm wrong, but assuming Bryce is seriously considering offers, hard to see Bryce saying no if this comes his way.

VU2014

I'm happy for Bryce but I'm starting to get pretty bummed we're losing our Alumni coach who has been huge for our program... :(. https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/717011261314052096

valpopal

Only drawback for Bryce: Vanderbilt is scheduled to host Scott's Baylor next season. That ought to be fun to watch!  ;)

Quote from: valpopal on April 04, 2016, 10:41:11 AM
With more reputable sources like Sports Illustrated now claiming Bryce will sign with Vanderbilt, I think it makes sense, as I mentioned in listing reasons when I first brought up the possibility. Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for an official announcement.

Quote from: valpopal on March 27, 2016, 12:35:30 PMVanderbilt is a private university in an interesting city not too far from Valpo and family members, with high academics and an endowment of over $4 billion. I don't think there are any seniors among the basketball team's starters, the coach's salary is about $2 million per year, plus Vandy is in the SEC, where they finished just 2 games behind Kentucky. Finally, it is another "VU"! I hope I'm wrong, but assuming Bryce is seriously considering offers, hard to see Bryce saying no if this comes his way.