• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

I have a ton of friends who are Illini alum who been screaming for Bryce Drew. Groce has been unlucky with injuries to his team the last 2-3 years but that program is out of control. 4 arrests of players in the last 5 months or something. Groce is one of those guys whose system works better in a mid-major conferences than in the Big10.

I actually really like John Groce as a recruiter. I think he'd high risk high reward bryce drew replacement candidate if he'd get fired right away because he's had success at Ohio before leaving for Illinois. He's been recruiting Chicagoland that he has connections to all the high school coaches which is huge. He sort of has the excuse that his players have injured. Only thing is that arrests pretty much rule him out from a chance with a gig at Valpo. I don't think AD Mark LaBarbera would want to bring that baggage in, even though I think it wasn't all Groce's fault. But in the end its all on the HC. I think Groce is going to be a very good career rebound coach for whichever mid major hires him or maybe he goes back to Ohio State as assistant where he was the lead recruiter of mike conley and greg oden back in the day. But this is all hypothetical and not going to happen anyways.

valpo04

Valparaiso's Bryce Drew agrees to become next coach at Vanderbilt
April 4, 2016 12:16 pm ET

Valparaiso's Bryce Drew has agreed in principle to become the next men's basketball coach at Vanderbilt, a source confirmed to CBS Sports on Monday.

SI.com reported a deal should be finalized in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25541530/valparaisos-bryce-drew-agrees-to-become-next-coach-at-vanderbilt

VULB#62

From the link and to answer the Alec speculation.....

Valparaiso's Bryce Drew has agreed in principle to become the next men's basketball coach at Vanderbilt, a source confirmed to CBS Sports on Monday.

Drew, 41, has been Valpo's coach for each of the past five years. He's won four Horizon League regular-season titles and four Horizon Tournament championships. And though he had turned down big offers before, sources told CBS Sports last week that Vanderbilt intrigued Drew for a variety of reasons, among them because it's a private school with a niche in a Power 5 league. It should be noted that Drew's older brother, Scott Drew, has flourished at private school with a niche in a Power 5 league. He's been the coach at Baylor since 2003. He's made six of the past nine NCAA Tournaments and two Elite Eights.

Georgia Tech also targeted Bryce Drew, sources told CBS Sports. But Drew always preferred Vanderbilt, according to sources. So he essentially picked Vandy over Georgia Tech. Another thing worth noting: Valpo junior Alec Peters has a chance to graduate early and become a graduate transfer, sources told CBS Sports. So he could, in theory, follow Drew to Vanderbilt (or explore other options) and be eligible immediately. The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 18.4 points and 8.5 rebounds this season.

VU2014

If Peters leaves I will become a very bitter person. I see why he'd do it and I wouldn't be mad but wow it would be a serious kick to the gut. I really hope he stays.

valpotx

I would actually lose a little respect for Bryce if he actively tried to recruit Peters away to Vanderbilt.  It is one thing if Alec openly tells him that he wants to go with him, but if Alec doesn't bring it up, Bryce shouldn't either.  Bryce could really set a fire in a house he helped build, that could be hard for the next coach to recover from. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

And speculation over Smits is moot I think.  He's already used up a redshirt season.  He would have to sit out another year if he xfers.  That would be two years out of competitive BB for him.  He'll stay.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 04, 2016, 12:18:53 PM
And speculation over Smits is moot I think.  He's already used up a redshirt season.  He would have to sit out another year if he xfers.  That would be two years out of competitive BB for him.  He'll stay.

Agreed.  Jubril will be a senior and probably has limited pro potential.  Sitting out a year would delay his other employment possibilities.  Alec could transfer if he graduates early but is close to home at Valpo and is clearly the team leader.

Another thing to consider is if any of Valpo's guys would get playing time at Vanderbilt.  Luke Kornet, a 7'1 forward, was all defense SEC.  They have a young team with lots of size.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/vand-m-baskbl-mtt.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

RS

It looks fairly certain now that Bryce will be leaving. I think Roger Powell and Luke Gore should be considered. Maybe even Greg Tonagel. As for experience at the D1 level it should be pointed out that Bryce when hired had no previous head coaching experience. Now when Bryce became head coach his cupboard wasn't bare plus he had a coaching relationship with all the players and was involved with their recruiting. So perhaps keeping it within the "VU family" would be best for the program to keep moving on smoothly. I wonder if Homer will have any input in the hiring. Its early. Not official yet. It will definitely a very very interesting next 30 to 45 days concerning every aspect of VU basketball

valpolaw

I can't blame Bryce for moving on.  I, along with many many others I know, wanted to get out of Valpo after being there for school.  The sky is the limit for Bryce at a large school where the admin actually isn't inept and will provide him the resources he needs.  I'll continue to follow him and wish him well.   

I hope Alec stays, but if I were in his shoes, I'd be gone. 

vurich

Quote from: valpotx on April 04, 2016, 12:14:52 PM
I would actually lose a little respect for Bryce if he actively tried to recruit Peters away to Vanderbilt.  It is one thing if Alec openly tells him that he wants to go with him, but if Alec doesn't bring it up, Bryce shouldn't either.  Bryce could really set a fire in a house he helped build, that could be hard for the next coach to recover from.

Unfortunately, regardless of whether Alec stays or goes, Bryce leaving is absolutely devastating to the program.  I completely understand his decision.  For selfish and personal reasons, I really hate that this inevitable day has become reality, but I don't blame anyone for advancing his/her career and I wish him all the best.

With all of that said, as I said, this is devastating for the program.  The general public, and I don't count those on this board in that group, don't realize the miracles that Bryce, and Homer before him, were able to pull off in spite of the enormous limitations of the program (budget, facilities, etc.)  The major factor of overcoming those limitations was the Drew family reputation, loyalty and the Drew's national name/brand recognition.  It was a huge asset that helped immensely in recruiting and now in it's absence, I'm afraid it's going to be long road. 

I'm trying not to be negative, but I'm afraid I'm also a realist.  I really hope that I'm wrong, but I've been around and invested in VU basketball for 25 years, so I remember the lean years of the 80's and early 90's and we can very easily find ourselves back there.  To quote Norm Dale, "In my experience, no one is irreplaceable..."  Let's hope he's right.

valpotx

Powell seems to really enjoy working at a religious institution.  That last home game in the NIT was kind of chilling, to see how much he gets revved up for that type of situation.  I truly hope that he has a desire to be a head coach, and that he is a good X's and O's guy as well (does anyone know about this?).  He can clearly recruit, and is the key to keeping our team together.  Lottich seems like a solid guy, but you can see him going to Vandy with Bryce, and getting more experience under his belt.  I think that Gore should go with Bryce as well, as it will increase his profile. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 04, 2016, 12:51:24 PM
Powell seems to really enjoy working at a religious institution.  That last home game in the NIT was kind of chilling, to see how much he gets revved up for that type of situation.  I truly hope that he has a desire to be a head coach, and that he is a good X's and O's guy as well (does anyone know about this?).  He can clearly recruit, and is the key to keeping our team together. Lottich seems like a solid guy, but you can see him going to Vandy with Bryce, and getting more experience under his belt.  I think that Gore should go with Bryce as well, as it will increase his profile. 
[/b]

We need to remember that whomever the new coach is will want his own folks on the bench with him.  Roger might want to keep a couple of guys with him but an outsider will want/bring his own folks in.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

In Vandy's case, it helps us that the top 8 scorers on this year's team, would all be coming back (if they choose to stay).  Would Bryce really want to upset his new team by bringing in a new top 2-3 scorer?  I am sure that Wade Baldwin (14.1) and Damian Jones (13.9) don't want to lose touches to someone that also wants to average double digit ppg.  Same thing for Matthew Fisher-Davis (9.7), Jeff Roberson (9.3), and Luke Kornet (8.9).  This makes me feel a lot better, but then again, that only takes away Vandy as an option, not the rest of the Power 5 that are going to be all over Peters' HS and AAU coaches...
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpo04 on April 04, 2016, 11:56:46 AM
Valparaiso's Bryce Drew agrees to become next coach at Vanderbilt
April 4, 2016 12:16 pm ET

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25541530/valparaisos-bryce-drew-agrees-to-become-next-coach-at-vanderbilt

This is the article I've seen that writes about it with the most certainty.

But, is there a chance it's based mostly on the ESPN tweet this morning, and is making it seem more certain, without warrant?

[tweet]717010716830490624[/tweet]

Paul Oren's being _slightly_ more cautious, maybe.

[tweet]717019539763032064[/tweet]

SI's version would suggest there's still a window before things are finalized...

VU2014

valpolaw:
Just curious as to what your specific beef with the administration is? Athletic Department administration? VU Law Administration (assuming you are/were Law Grad)?

I am an alum myself and there were something that were completely maddening about the administration. I'm a huge fan of President Heckler's upbeat message and positivity and I think he's a great face of the school, but I think some of the initiatives, spending and some other things aren't managed well, but overall I really enjoyed my college experience. Being that this a VU Sports thread, I will say that VU has completely underfunded and underinvested in their Basketball program and it is a miracle the success the Drew family has brought to the program. I kid you not that a many high school programs in the state of illinois and indiana that have nicer athletic facilities then VU. The Administration NEEDS to start investing more in the facilities.

a3uge

This thread is a trainwreck.

agibson

I sent Bryce an email. Not usually my style, but, if I'm ever going to reach out to a coach in that fashion, what better day than today?

Not begging - but expressing appreciation, and OK, some hope ;)

cornonthe

Well, if we were all being honest with ourselves, we really knew that this day would come. I am really sad about it, but we will get through it...and maybe, just maybe, be better for it. Perhaps we will look back on this day and wonder why we were so distraught. Maybe this is just the beginning of really huge things that we never even considered...I wish Coach Drew much luck and hope that he brings a National Championship to his new "VU"...maybe there will be a National Championship between the two important VUs...and add to that, a Final Four including Baylor!!! :) GOOOOOOOO VU!!!

agibson

The news/rumor was spreading around the VU cafeteria. Heard at several different tables. The archetypal response was, "What?!"

One student brought up a thought that hadn't even crossed my mind. If all the assistants were somehow to leave, is there a situation where Homer takes over -again-? Probably not... I wonder if we'll come to regret Wright State grabbing the SD State coach. But, frankly, I'd prefer not to go down this rabbit hole until the rumors are confirmed (or, much better, refuted!). Looks there's already two pages of a tread on the topic, perhaps already discussing these ideas.

VU2014

I don't see a situation where Homer becomes the Head Coach again. He and his wife battled cancer recently and for health among other reason I don't see it. I could see him still remaining part of the VU program, mentoring the next coach and helping with the coaching search, and serving in an advisory role but thats about it. I think Homer will remain in retirement but continue to be a fixture at games.

agibson

Plausible scenario.

But, I can also imagine a world where Homer moves to Nashville. :(

vu84v2

The big question here is whether the Athletic Department has a succession plan. That is one of hallmarks of a good organization. None of us really can assess whether Powell would be a good game coach, but they should be able to. Also, while keeping Peters and others is certainly critical I am not sure you want to make hiring decisions based on what the players will and will not do. You should, of course, make hiring decisions based one someone's history of developing and maintaining relationships with players, as well as their ability to help players improve.

If they believe Powell is ready to be a game coach, then I feel that Powell is the best hire for the short and long term. If they do not, then they probably need to interview Gore and Tonagel. Going outside of the program is going to be too much of a reset for what has been a very strong program.

VU2014

My reaction to the thought of Homer moving to Nashville...

but it's definitely possible...

VU2014

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen Indiana Wesleyan play? Greg Tonagel has had a ton of success there. Just curious as to what a Greg Tonagel offense and defense system and style looks like. I confess I've never watched them play but I've heard he's a pretty good coach. My friend went there IWU and he said Tonagel would be a great hire for VU and that its sort of VU situation with Bryce Drew. They've know for the last 3 years that he's going to start getting D1 offers and that its only a matter of time before someone snatches him away from the program.