• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Football 2011

Started by covufan, August 04, 2011, 02:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many wins will the VU football team get in 2011?

Zero
7 (26.9%)
One
6 (23.1%)
Two
10 (38.5%)
Three
3 (11.5%)
Four or more
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 08, 2011, 02:18:40 PM

covufan

We are all looking for improvement with this year's team.  How many wins will we get?

Here is the VU schedule from the Massey Ratings site:

http://masseyratings.com/team.php?s=107811&t=8361

KL31NY

Realistically, I'm not expecting a win this year. I will say that, IMHO, Morehead State is easily our best shot. It's Homecoming, the team will have 2 weeks to prepare, and MSU will be coming off a tough game with San Diego. It's also one of the few teams where VU has been generally competitive over the past 4, 5 years.

Note: Valpo has lost 20 straight contests, the 2nd longest losing streak and 2nd longest winless streak in program history. The biggest such streaks happened during most of Tom Horne's early years, who would eventually lead VU to a pair of PFL championships. Here's the VUFB record book for more: http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/football/Media%20Guide%20Info/Record%20Book.pdf
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

covufan

Here is the link to Coach Carlson's Blog:

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

The "SPRING 2011 WRAP-UP" entry has a nice comment from a former VU player, now coaching in the college ranks. 

I believe that a program such as Valpo's should be measured in multiple areas.  One of those areas should be the number of former student-athletes and student-managers of the football program that are in the coaching field - both high school and college.  When we start to see nice articles mentioning "former VU standout", "former VU footballer" having success at the high school or college ranks, VU will have had many years of successful football.

covufan

As of today (August 18th) 2/3 of those that have participated in the poll think we'll do better with at least one win.  The other six still think it will be more of the same...

covufan

Coach Carlson has posted his Training Camp Blog:

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

Will the new players be able to compete on the field, not just in practice, that is the question. 

FWalum

Certainly feel sorry for Jabril Baker who had to sit out last year because of NCAA transfer rules and now will sit this year because of the torn ACL.

Sounds like the team is better prepared going in to this season. Hope that translates into some wins!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Coach Carlson's preseason assessment is now on the valpo athletics page.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader65

Good assessment by Coach Carlson.  I like what I heard.  He has to understate the situation so that realistic expectation can be applied.  My independent research has revealed that a number of these new recruits are way above the best standard for Valpo of the past.  The freshman running back from Maryland is a real talent - great football IQ, very quick and runs with power.  The redshirt QB from last year has a good arm and at least two freshman QBs have the same talent.  They all have great passing stats from high school.  In all the new team is greatly improved from a talent and athletic stand point.  The real question is how long it will take to gel.  Last year had a "want to" but not the "will to" but these kids won't be patient long and need a win SOON real bad to set the stage for better mental play and increased performance.

valpotx

I assume that you meant way above the more recent Valpo football standard.  It would be premature to say that any of these QBs are better than David Macchi, any of the DBs better than Eric Kinesie, DLs better than Franco Francese, etc. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

There are pretty interesting interviews with Offensive and defensive coordinators posted on utube.  Here is one with Eli Crawford who is an impressive young man:

Valpo football player Eli Crawford
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader65

I was talking in the totality of the recruiting classes under Coach Carlson.  I wasn't claiming specific comparisons to outstanding past Crusaders but rather to the raising of the standard bar for athleticism and past high school performance. Some of these new faces were targets of other Pioneer Conference members.  I feel that only their performance on the field can bring about any future comparison - if appropriate.  I just like the progress and course that Coach Carlson has set.

new2ff

Very nice video by an impressive young man. I wish them much success.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on August 18, 2011, 09:32:54 PM
As of today (August 18th) 2/3 of those that have participated in the poll think we'll do better with at least one win.  The other six still think it will be more of the same...

As of today (8/31), just a few days before the first game, we have 15 thinking things will be better, and 7 thinking more of the same. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: covufan on August 31, 2011, 04:49:08 PM
Quote from: covufan on August 18, 2011, 09:32:54 PM

As of today (8/31), just a few days before the first game, we have 15 thinking things will be better, and 7 thinking more of the same. 

Granted the futility of last year puts things in a different perspective, but a wopping 1 win is thinking things get better? One win? Really?

I hope the team has loftier goals.

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Win, lose or get creamed, I've never seen this much interest in anything other than basketball.  Hopefully, with some wins, the fans will show up.  I'll certainly be listening and sure wish we had video coverage of football!!

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on September 01, 2011, 06:41:57 PM
Win, lose or get creamed, I've never seen this much interest in anything other than basketball.  Hopefully, with some wins, the fans will show up.  I'll certainly be listening and sure wish we had video coverage of football!!

I know this seems like a horrible joke, but the entire Jacksonville game was streamed over the internet live
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

It has been several weeks since the pre-season win total poll.  The people that chose zero or three wont' be correct.  Those that chose one or two wins still have a chance. 

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"