• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I was actually going to say the same thing.  How did they pull all of this together so quickly from so many sources?  It almost seemed planned as of several weeks back, and is looking like there may be some underhanded things going on.  It's too bad, as David does seem like a good kid. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

ISMscout is Dave Maravilla (Founder/assistant coach/pro agent of Don Bosco Prep). The other players are Don Bosco former player or current players. Dave brings kids in from all over Europe and from all over the world to play in his prep program that have NCAA potential and develops them and Dave has MANY connections throughout the NCAA coaching ranks and connects players with coaches to help them scholarships and spots on teams. He develops a father/son/mentor relations with these kids. A lot of these kids entrust their careers with Dave. We have to remember that the kids that go to Don Bosco are from another country and there is a strong bond and mentor relationship with Dave and the coaches there, so when he suggests something it has huge pull. I don't know if the Ivan assistant coaching ultimatum is true, but there seems to be a some smoke there. Not sure we'll ever find out the truth, because I don't see either party admitting what truly happened.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on April 20, 2016, 11:20:19 AM
ISMscout is Dave Maravilla (Founder/assistant coach/pro agent of Don Bosco Prep). The other players are Don Bosco former player or current players. Dave brings kids in from all over Europe and from all over the world to play in his prep program that have NCAA potential and develops them and Dave has MANY connections throughout the NCAA coaching ranks and connects players with coaches to help them scholarships and spots on teams. He develops a father/son/mentor relations with these kids. A lot of these kids entrust their careers with Dave. We have to remember that the kids that go to Don Bosco are from another country and there is a strong bond and mentor relationship with Dave and the coaches there, so when he suggests something it has huge pull. I don't know if the Ivan assistant coaching ultimatum is true, but there seems to be a some smoke there. Not sure we'll ever find out the truth, because I don't see either party admitting what truly happened.

Shades of Bob Jones and Cool Aid.

Just Sayin

Quote from: chef on April 19, 2016, 09:23:07 AM
There are adults that David is close to that were hoping to get on the new VU staff, when they didn't they encouraged David to leave.

Doesn't sound like they acted like mature adults.

VU2014

Another thing to keep in mind is that Skara's NBA outlook isn't at the level of Peters, but David is still a good player who can definitely play in Europe, imo and Dave Maravilla could help make his career in Europe by getting him on the right team. A lot of things in life are about putting yourself in the right position to find a role somewhere and you just need to find that opportunity. I wouldn't want to go against Dave if I were him because he has so many connections that he could help put him in the right position somewhere post collegiate career. Remember that Maravilla is also an agent for many of his former players including Ivan (when he was a pro in Europe). From a strictly post collegiate career business decision sticking with with dave and what "he thinks is best" is probably I wise decision. When you leave your native country to play at Don Bosco you aren't just going there to develop your basketball skills. You are also going there for Dave's connections and agent advice for your future career.

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on April 20, 2016, 11:20:19 AM
We have to remember that David Skara is a kid (young man) from a foreign country.  In his view, he may owe more to those that brought him here and initially helped him, vice those that are just his coaches and educators.  I'm sure he is very confused, and finds himself quite a distance from those that he could really use right now. 

Those that are close to the program need to let this young man know that we appreciate his hard work the last two years, and understand he is in a difficult situation.

NativeCheesehead

It's a shame when some of these bball/football prep factories hide behind a religious facade as well. Assuming this is Dave Maravilla's work, and his mentality is really to drive away a kid whose school wouldn't give him what he wants, it's an absolute sham to see his LinkedIn page that has him posing in front of a banner with a cross on it. And then venture over to the web page that lists himself and Athletic Director / CEO. What a scumbag. Always loved JHawk when he was here and hope he's not involved in this in any way.

I'm not yet fifty so I don't want to come off "Get off my lawn!" here, but i'm also putting in a call to the Diocese of Gary to make sure none of my contributions to the collection plate get used to fund this sham.

crusaderboy

Quote from: VU2014 on April 20, 2016, 11:20:19 AMNot sure we'll ever find out the truth,

You have already been told the truth.

oklahomamick

little confused.  Is it Dave Maravilla or Ivan Jukic responsible for Skara leaving?  I know he has been granted his release but is there a possibility of our staff and players convincing him to stay? 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

The one who calls the shots is probably Dave Maravilla. Skara chose to follow him because he will probably become his agent after college. Skara is trusting Dave because he thinks he knows whats best for David's career. I don't think leaving Valpo is in his best interests, but from his view point I guess he trusts what Maravilla says.

I just want to know the whole story of how the H this went down. Was there some sort of undisclosed secret handshake with Ivan? And when Bryce left it was never in Valpo's best interest to hire him? I have a lot of respect for Coach Lottich for not making a hire based on one player and his disgruntled former prep-coach/future agent. Doing whats best for the future of the program should always come first.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2016, 02:46:58 PMI know he has been granted his release but is there a possibility of our staff and players convincing him to stay? 

I'm speculating, but I imagine nothing technically irrevocable has happened yet. He may not have a scholarship at Valpo for next year (do they sign annual renewal letters at some point?), but that could probably technically still happen. Signing such a letter some place else may technically close the door. Of course, in reality, bridges may already have been burnt, from one side or the other. Or, who knows, discussion may still be ongoing.

There have been rumors, at least, in the past of releases being requested, where those students never left the program.

Just Sayin

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2016, 02:46:58 PM
little confused.  Is it Dave Maravilla or Ivan Jukic responsible for Skara leaving?  I know he has been granted his release but is there a possibility of our staff and players convincing him to stay?

Under the circumstances of this situation and the blocking, Valpo may not take him back if he changed his mind. There has to be some bad blood and it may be difficult to patch things up. It may be better for all concerned, the coach and the team to let things stand as they are.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on April 20, 2016, 04:46:32 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2016, 02:46:58 PMI know he has been granted his release but is there a possibility of our staff and players convincing him to stay?

I'm speculating, but I imagine nothing technically irrevocable has happened yet. He may not have a scholarship at Valpo for next year (do they sign annual renewal letters at some point?), but that could probably technically still happen. Signing such a letter some place else may technically close the door. Of course, in reality, bridges may already have been burnt, from one side or the other. Or, who knows, discussion may still be ongoing.

There have been rumors, at least, in the past of releases being requested, where those students never left the program.

The release of the Skara highlight YouTube didn't help things.

VU2014

If David changed his mind I'm pretty sure the coaches, players and athletic department would be happy to have him back. Only thing is that he be choosing one-side over the other and his relationship with Maravilla & Ivan might be fractured after that. Just my speculation.

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2016, 02:46:58 PM
little confused.  Is it Dave Maravilla or Ivan Jukic responsible for Skara leaving?

Chef's post would seem to indicate that both individuals played a role:

Let's end the speculation. David is very close with Dave Maravilla and Ivan Vujic. Maravilla was very influential in Vujic going to Valpo as well as Skara. When Vujic was not hired as an assistant coach, the dominoes fell and Skara asked for his release. There's obviously more to the story but that's the focal point behind Skara leaving. The shame of it is Skara had a great relationship with Matt Lottich and was extremely excited when Matt got the job.

ValpoDad89

VU2014, is 100% right, the staff would welcome him back with open arms if he so chose to. One thing I've noticed from the admissions process, to the "recruitment" of a non-athlete, Valpo is 100% student focused. They get rejected proabably 20-30% of the time by non athletes that come here, the admin is used to it and I'm guessing developed tough skin, that includes the Athletic Department.

The football team alone is seeing an exodus of players they brought here. My daughter said about 10 girls left at semester and another few are leaving after finals. Valpo just wasn't right for them, Valpo is totally right for her by her responses but I get it. I started at UIC, I didn't like that there were thousands of kids in each of my classes and I transferred to DePaul. They're still babies, but thinking, feeling, maturing babies so if a kid makes a decision so be it. If they came back and said they made a mistake (Prodigal Son reference) wouldn't we, as a Christian school welcome them back? I don't think Skara is coming back, he put his trust in others above this coaching staff or even the last one. For all we know, even if Drew stayed on, he may be leaving as his "mentors" didn't like the way he was utilized this year and doubt his utilization for the next.

But with all that, the kid, himself should be kept in mind. Can Skara get a good degree here that will position himself better in life? An emphatic yes my friends. If his "mentors" are using this to get paid at some level whether it be domestic pro or overseas pro and get a cut and don't care where he goes in life after that then shame on them. If you truly believe in the kid and want what's best you'll see big picture for him and not your own personal gain. I feel once Skara or any other Don Bosco kid doesn't feed the meal train, they are an afterthought. Had he stayed at Valpo and received a degree He'd be far from an afterthought. But we all have to live with our decisions in every station of life. I wish him well.

ARCInsider

I'm thinking of giving my user name to ValpoDad.  He seems to deserve it.  Ton of inside info.

valpopal

I do not dispute the good points made below, but I do want to make sure there isn't any misunderstanding. At the same time, I also do not want to reveal any specific numbers that haven't been made public by the university. However, I can attest that the retention rate for students at Valparaiso University is very good, well above the national average and higher than those at most peer universities, which contributes to the fact the last two years saw overall student populations that were the largest in more than 40 years.

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 20, 2016, 06:14:52 PM
VU2014, is 100% right, the staff would welcome him back with open arms if he so chose to. One thing I've noticed from the admissions process, to the "recruitment" of a non-athlete, Valpo is 100% student focused. They get rejected proabably 20-30% of the time by non athletes that come here, the admin is used to it and I'm guessing developed tough skin, that includes the Athletic Department.

The football team alone is seeing an exodus of players they brought here. My daughter said about 10 girls left at semester and another few are leaving after finals. Valpo just wasn't right for them, Valpo is totally right for her by her responses but I get it. I started at UIC, I didn't like that there were thousands of kids in each of my classes and I transferred to DePaul. They're still babies, but thinking, feeling, maturing babies so if a kid makes a decision so be it. If they came back and said they made a mistake (Prodigal Son reference) wouldn't we, as a Christian school welcome them back? I don't think Skara is coming back, he put his trust in others above this coaching staff or even the last one. For all we know, even if Drew stayed on, he may be leaving as his "mentors" didn't like the way he was utilized this year and doubt his utilization for the next.

But with all that, the kid, himself should be kept in mind. Can Skara get a good degree here that will position himself better in life? An emphatic yes my friends. If his "mentors" are using this to get paid at some level whether it be domestic pro or overseas pro and get a cut and don't care where he goes in life after that then shame on them. If you truly believe in the kid and want what's best you'll see big picture for him and not your own personal gain. I feel once Skara or any other Don Bosco kid doesn't feed the meal train, they are an afterthought. Had he stayed at Valpo and received a degree He'd be far from an afterthought. But we all have to live with our decisions in every station of life. I wish him well.

VU2624

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 20, 2016, 06:14:52 PMThe football team alone is seeing an exodus of players they brought here.

The football team, based on this past weekend, remained pretty well intact. They lost a QB and 2 WRs. A RB DNR because of injury. Was there anyone else? Feel free to answer on the football board.

ValpoFan

A quick google search led me to Maravilla's client list. 12/22 of his clients are currently without a team. What an impressive agent. I was hoping Skara will be smarter than that. But if he feels that sitting for a year and then playing (or sitting on the bench) for new coaches and new system will improve his future... Good luck to him  :crazy:

ValpoDad89

Quote from: valpopal on April 20, 2016, 09:15:06 PMVarsity

Hey Pal, (shout to my mam RogerWilco), you're right on, Valpo's retention is very good especially comparable to other schools. And why wouldn't it be? My point was not every situation is right for every kid that walks through the doors. Especially when you're dealing with young adults. In her dorm 10 girls left and a few others are leaving at the end of the year. All things considered, a good retention rate at the end of the day.

And as far as the football team goes, she stays in Alumni Hall and knows a few left at the end of the Fall Semester to go elsewhere where they thought they could get more playing time. At the end it was lower tiered schools. Plus she's been dating a guy, a good guy I might add, that's a Jr LB on the team and that is where the football info comes from. The last thing I would ever do is tarnish Valpo's rep in any way but it seems we offer and bring on a lot of kids from a Football perspective and when they don't play right away, decide they want to go somewhere they can. It is the Milenial conundrum, we are creating where rsther than paying dues so to speak, they want it now and if they don't they feel the grass is greener.

valpotx

Valpo usually retains a large pool of students, but I do remember large groups of people leaving after FR and SO years.  Pgmado will remember that the crew I 'ran' with just about everywhere (BHG) during those years, went from about 15 solid to about 5, by the time that I graduated.  It was probably a sigh of relief for him, as we didn't make his RA job very easy...
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

I actually wanted to quote ValpoPals response and it didn't quite take. From what I understand, at least 12 kids,  transferred out after the Fall semester whom were Freshmen football players. I will try and get names if need be. I know one in particular came here from Gary and was told whatever monies were afforded to him in "scholarship" would not be there for his Sophmore year so he decided to skip then as he nor his family could not afford Valpo tuition in its entirety. Apparently he is playing JUCO football next year. Being a NON scholarship sport, but affording grants and other tuition relief to players, I know that the football staff has to be selective on who they give "opportunities" to. Football is a much different animal than Basketball.

As far as Football goes, I know I can answer any questions you may have as the person dating my daughter is playing within the program.

rogerwilco

ValpoTx, I'm glad you gave Pgmado a lot of crap and made him earn his keep as a RA.
As I recall, he transferred to Valpo...So, hazing him as your RA made up for him missing at least his freshman year at VU.

ValpoDad89

Valpotx, I can say from the 10 girls transferring out mid term, 6-8 were girls who decided they wanted to be closer to home. One girl, it breaks my heart as I met her and was nothing more than sweet, had parents going through a divorce and her dad wouldn't pay for her college. I would never ever do that to my kid, especially if I loved her but apparently it was a contentious separation. The few girls leaving now are a result of typical drama as they didn't get along with their roommate or others on campus, or didn't get the Sority they selected.

In Alumni Hall, the girls get the 3rd and 5th floors and the boys get 2 and 4. The boys floors are typically made up of a lot of football players. The first floor is upperclassman that aren't frat guys are have other living arrangements, hence how she met her BF.

As an addendum, I know the football team is hurting at QB as most of the returnees are still nursing injuries.