• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: agibson on April 24, 2016, 05:44:26 PM
Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 24, 2016, 02:35:34 PMThere's a reason he was out of work for a year at his age

I originally thought he might have had some kind of hiatus too, but, per the Oren piece,

Vujic spent the 2015-16 season serving as video coordinator at Marshall University in West Virginia.

And by total coincidence Marshall's roster includes 6-9 freshman ALEKSANDAR DOZIC from - wait for it - Don Bosco Prep.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/aleksandar_dozic_977521.html

Obviously, the Scara situation isn't the Bosco clownmaster's and Benedict Vu Arnold's first exaction rodeo.

Sent from my iPhone

VULB#62

Another mystery solved by Sherlock Hemlock. Congrats WH  :thumbsup:

vusupporter

And Dozic is on Jeff Goodman's transfer list...

VULB#62

I sense a package deal brewing.  Skara, Dozic and 'Coach' Vujic to..........  wherever.  :snore:

NativeCheesehead

Wow, this keeps getting shadier and shadier. Still sad to lose David but happier and happier to be free of this mess. Hope the two players find a great place to play and Vu gets blackballed.

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on April 26, 2016, 06:12:21 PM
[tweet]725072727804010496[/tweet]

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0427-20160426-story.html

Hutton misses the mark in this article. Calling the blocking of Skara to Vandy a "nuclear option" or "spiteful" or "going low" are exaggerations, especially considering what we know about the circumstances surrounding Skara's departure and the fact that many other high-profile schools are willing to offer Skara. Due to the apparently unseemly behavior by Skara's handlers, I believe Valpo has acted responsibly and appropriately in prohibiting Skara's transfer to Vanderbilt.

M

So next time, give in to the sleeze underworld of prep school basketball. Got it.

NativeCheesehead

It seems a little journalistically(is that a word?) irresponsible to not mention the Ivan connection and the fact this is not the only Maravilla "client" transferring this offseason. Maravilla quoting ethics is hilarious.

a3uge

It's amazing how blocking Skara is unethical, but a coach raiding his old program wouldn't be...

Chairback

There's more to the story on why we blocked him to Vandy.  With Bryce not acknowledging Valpo or the fans at all when leaving except for saying his dad built the program I seem to sense some tension between Valpo and BD.

Hutton's article is complete crap.  The line that pisses me off the most is "VU had a chance to suck it up and take the high road".  Hutton, if you read on this board your story should have praised Valpo for not giving in to the bull crap that is happening.  A first time coach and a ethical administration didn't give in.  What would haunt Valpo and Lottich in the long run is hiring trash into the program. 

Hutton, stay away from the ARC this year.  Take some ethics classes at Don Bosco.

NativeCheesehead

What's also surprising is that he completely contradicts Pauls article. That and chefs comments about how close Lottich and DS were show me Hutton didn't do his homework. Again, he can take any position he wants, but do a little background on all parties involved. I guess I should remember most of the local journalism around here is total crap and that we're all a little spoiled by Pauls well written and well researched writing.

IndyValpo

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 26, 2016, 08:47:23 PM
What's also surprising is that he completely contradicts Pauls article. That and chefs comments about how close Lottich and DS were show me Hutton didn't do his homework. Again, he can take any position he wants, but do a little background on all parties involved. I guess I should remember most of the local journalism around here is total crap and that we're all a little spoiled by Pauls well written and well researched writing.
Remember his last article on Tonagel was based on an inaccurate theory due to no research. The guy is a hack. Re-read that article. It is straight from the Drew's. Classy organizations do not take players from the prior job. Classy "handlers" don't transfer players when they can't get a coach hired. Actual journalists research before they write. I would let Skara go to Vandy under any circumstance.

cmack

Mike Hutton seems to be mastering the art of the "hot take". Maybe he is angling to take Skip Bayless place on ESPN.

ValpoDad89

Every school and their mother that releases an underclassmen from scholarship due to a "coaching" change always, if not most times, includes the destination school of the former coach. This prevents a coach leaving from poaching his former roster. A shrewd move by every school that is subject to this. Anyone around college basketball knows this and is pretty standard practice. I'll put Don Bosco prep on my list of schools to root least for going forward.

Whoever said it first, shadyness at its finest and to quote Chuck Barkley, "turrible" journalism. Obviously someone has an agenda.

wh

I agree with chairback that there is more here than meets the eye. Why would the Bosco clownmaster express such dismay at Valpo blocking a transfer to Vanderbilt unless he knew that Vanderbilt actually wanted David? And, how would he know that without inquiring on David's behalf with Bryce and/or Roger?  And, could it be that the Valpo athletic department learned about it and pulled the plug to send a message to Bryce that we're not going to turn a blind eye while you raid your former team to fill a void until you get your sea legs in a new recruiting region?

vufan75

Send a tweet or comment to Hutton and Post Trib suggesting better research/facts needed before running a non factual or at very least one-sided article. Heck, give Tubby Smith a call, or maybe Matt Painter or Bo Ryan. They have gone thru unique transfer situations themselves.  Get an understanding of the behind the scenes intrigue and demands of reps/handlers of some players.... ez to blame and point fingers at the big bad schools vs a player.

covufan

I was on verbalcommits.com looking at David Skara and where he might land, when I came upon the Don Bosco retweet of the Hutton article.  Amazing that the Don Bosco tweet was within moments of the Hutton posting.  I'm gaining more respect for Coach Lottich each passing day of the Skara situation.  I really feel for Skara, who is just a young man from a foreign country caught up in this mess.  The high road (as I see it) has been taken.  The silence from pgmado, chef and ml is encouraging. 

More on this:

https://twitter.com/SectionEE/status/725127148873371648

and two responses to this:

https://twitter.com/apgibson42/status/725133531362525184

https://twitter.com/YinzerSTILLinOH/status/725129213477576704

Sad, really sad.

ValpoDad89

covufan, sad very sad is an understatement. The saddest part is that these guys somehow believe, in their own twisted logic, which is what can I get for me is that they're somehow doing a great service to these kids.

Just shows that college basketball is big business, even with mid major conferences. I'll echo this, from what has been said, I like that we play the Game straight up and with integrity. In the end, I will always believe that integrity wins out in the long run. I would rather have kids that WANT to be here because they enjoy the experience, feel the coaches have their back and will do right by them. There are kids out there that can play and have grown up with integrity that was instilled by their upbringing. I'll always say, give me a bunch of good kids that can play, have good basketball IQs and are coached properly and you'll have a winner. That's been the script for Valpo, Butler and Xavier. Pretty good company if you ask me.

WiscoCrusader

To respond to various points on this thread:

Yes, I suspect there is bad blood with Bryce.  It's becoming more clear by the day.

Yes, key relationships held together by the Drew family are quickly unraveling.

Yes, the longstanding repercussions of a program in a downward spiral have already begun and are irreversible.

Yes, we are still headed back to 4-24 without the Drew family.

And finally, yes, I will enjoy watching all of you come around to my early identification of reality.

rogerwilco

WiscoCrusader, did Bryce not accept your invitation to prom?

You're coming off like a scorned high school girl and that Bryce turned you down by saying "It's not you...It's me."

Then again, this isn't an early identification of reality as you would call it. It's more of a social observation.

Hang in there, buddy. It gets better.

wh

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on April 26, 2016, 11:48:05 PM

Yes, I suspect there is bad blood with Bryce.  It's becoming more clear by the day.

Yes, the longstanding repercussions of a program in a downward spiral have already begun and are irreversible.

And finally, yes, I will enjoy watching all of you come around to my early identification of reality.

I have long forewarned of a day of reckoning based on 2 administrations' failure to act on pleas from the Drews (Homer for certain; Bryce presumably) to rebuild/upgrade the ARC. Like you, I proclaimed the announcement of Bryce leaving as the day the music died. 

Here's where we differ. I would love to be proven wrong and won't mind at all if I have to eat some crow down the road somewhere. The proof of the pudding will be how well Matt is able to recruit with the same facility disadvantage, but without the Drew name and national reputation to offset it. Realistically, it will take a couple of recruiting classes before we'll be able to assess that.
So far, I like what I see.  Matt has hit the ground running and the players want to play for him.

That's where I'm coming from. Still concerned for the future of Valpo basketball, but hoping for the best. My love for the program far exceeds whatever momentary satisfaction I might get in saying I told you so. You're entitled to your feelings for sure, but I'm just curious why you don't feel the same way?

cmack

Thanks for posting Mr. Maravilla, but let's stop talking in generalities and give us the scoop on what really happened with the Skara transfer.

NativeCheesehead

Valpo Dad, most of these types of guys don't even bother to kid themselves that they're in it for the players. My old company was involved in some AAU tournaments in Chicago shortly after I graduated from Vu. Catch these coaches in the hotel bars after a round or two, and all you hear is "Me, Me, Me. I, I, I." One of them had a six figure contract from Nike, and was told in no uncertain terms where he was to steer his players.

I have no doubt there are some decent, good, people involved but they are drowned out by the fools. The CYO coach who gives up 8 hours a week on top of job and family commitments are the ones I want teaching my kids values and hustle, not someone like Maravilla.

a3uge

I thought you left bro?