• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2016 Volley Ball

Started by VULB#62, June 15, 2016, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: valpospartan on October 17, 2016, 11:10:07 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2016, 01:43:17 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on October 15, 2016, 09:25:52 PM
Quote from: agibson on October 15, 2016, 06:44:22 PM
Longoria's at 15 assists. I guess that means we've got a libero setting again?

ESPN3 doesn't work for me in Canada - so I've still not seen this underhanded business.

Valpo fighting to defend the ARC, dropped the first two sets to Milwaukee, but picked up the third. Fourth is neck and neck. Tied at 12-12.

The "underhanded business" is merely a bump set.  Not unusual at all.

Unfortunately Milwaukee prevailed in 4.

Perhaps but the Valpo Athletic site begs to differ!

Following a week in which she reached 2,000 career digs while also filling a role thought to be unprecedented in Division I volleyball, senior Morganne Longoria (Burlington, Wis./Burlington) has been named the Horizon League Defensive Player of the Week.

digs and bump sets are apples and oranges.
[/b]

This is getting a bit silly but, let me try one more time.  Read what was said in the release about her winning the award.  I'm not talking about digs. That is her full time role.  I'm talking about the "filing a role thought to be unprecedented in Division 1 volleyball"

That "unprecedented role" was acting as primary setter at the same time.  Inside the 10' line she had to set underhanded. If, as you suggested that is merely a "bump set", which is done all the time and no big deal, why would the article make such a big deal over it?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Bump setting is by itself no big deal, but having a libero/setter is highly unusual at this level because most attacks happen above the net. The following should help clarify why she has to bump set.

The Libero may set using their hands from anywhere on the court. If the last contact with the floor by the Libero is on or in front of the attack line, the next player may not send the ball over if the ball is completely above the height of the net. If that happens, it is an illegal attack.
The height of the ball when the Libero touches it only matters if the ball is completely above the height of the net AND it crosses into the plane of the net AND the Libero is on or in front of the attack line. That would make the play by the Libero an illegal back row attack. If the Libero bump sets or is completely behind the line, any player may attack the ball.
The NFSHSA, USAV, NCAA, and FIVB rules are very similar in wording.
NFSHSA is the junior high and high school rules.
USAV is the club rules.
NCAA is the women's college rules.
FIVB is the international rules.

USAV 19.1.3.4 A player may not complete an attack from higher than the top of the net, if the ball is coming from an overhand finger pass by a Libero in his/her front zone or its extension. The ball may be freely attacked if the Libero makes the same action from behind his/her front zone or its extension.

Bump setting is generally thought to be much less accurate than overhand finger setting.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Iowa State's apparently got a libero who's working on _jump_ setting. Apparently if you take off from behind the line you can finger set from beyond it?

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/volleyball/article_345faa46-949f-11e6-afb7-e399d5824005.html

Checking one game box score, it seems to be a niche activity. With two other primary setters.

agibson

Tarrah Lasky was back in action, first appearance in a couple of weeks. But, Longoria kept up her libero setting game as well.

They'd played with a single setter before trying the libero thing, but apparently the libero experiment continues for a while longer.

Their second setter saw a bit of action as well - but only recorded a single assist. Hopefully that doesn't mean aggravating an injury.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on October 16, 2016, 09:38:29 PM
Quote from: agibson on October 15, 2016, 11:10:01 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on October 15, 2016, 09:25:52 PMThe "underhanded business" is merely a bump set.  Not unusual at all.

I'm still figuring out this volleyball thing. But, is it at least rare as your primary means of setting?
You should drop by the ARC to see setting in person.

Longoria setting

Typical setting

Forrest setting

valpospartan

The ladies finished their home portion of the schedule, with a gutty sweep of Oakland, which made it a season sweep, too. Oakland had been in a three way tie for 2nd place.  With the win, VU helped it quest for a playoff berth. 
Next game Saturday 4PM  @ Milw.  shown on ESPN3.

talksalot

Great!  something to watch between the JU Football game and the Trinity Christian Basketball game!

agibson

Quote from: valpospartan on November 09, 2016, 10:14:58 PM
The ladies finished their home portion of the schedule, with a gutty sweep of Oakland, which made it a season sweep, too. Oakland had been in a three way tie for 2nd place.  With the win, VU helped it quest for a playoff berth. 

VU lost the 3rd set, but come back to win it 3-1. They did almost all of that without KC, Katherine Carlson, one of their key players, who came out injured in the first. She came back to the bench before the end of the match. But didn't play again.

Hopefully she heals quickly!

After the game the players seemed to think they'd already clinched a spot. I think that's probably not quite true. If some combination of Wright State and UIC win out and Valpo loses their regular season finale Friday, maybe there's still a scenario (not a likely one?) where Valpo misses the tournament. So, I think they probably need another win or a little help. Best to win on Friday!

valpospartan

Quote from: agibson on November 11, 2016, 03:15:51 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on November 09, 2016, 10:14:58 PM

VU lost the 3rd set, but come back to win it 3-1. They did almost all of that without KC, Katherine Carlson, one of their key players, who came out injured in the first. She came back to the bench before the end of the match. But didn't play again.

Hopefully she heals quickly!

After the game the players seemed to think they'd already clinched a spot. I think that's probably not quite true. If some combination of Wright State and UIC win out and Valpo loses their regular season finale Friday, maybe there's still a scenario (not a likely one?) where Valpo misses the tournament. So, I think they probably need another win or a little help. Best to win on Friday!
My bad. KC's injury looked to be a finger injury.  I must be blind, as I didn't see her return to the bench.

agibson

Quote from: valpospartan on November 11, 2016, 11:51:03 PMKC's injury looked to be a finger injury.  I must be blind, as I didn't see her return to the bench.

I only saw her in the 4th, and maybe late in the 4th. Quick round trip to the Urgent Care center, apparently. She played today in Milwaukee, back row stuff, in some kind of a splint. Looked soft, on two fingers, and wrapped around her palm and maybe wrist.

Valpo had a strong third set today, leading late, had it tied at 22, and I think lost only 25-23. But, was swept. Hopefully the third set is something they can build on going in the tournament next Friday. Results last night had clinched Valpo a spot (the VB players at the MBB game were definitely following conference results), but it's still up in the air whether their opponent will be NKY (if they win today, I think) or Oakland. Just from this season's results, you can imagine that there's a clear preference to see Oakland (or is it the hardest thing in volleyball to beat a team three times in one season?).