• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Soccer 2011

Started by agibson, August 10, 2011, 11:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

It looks like women's soccer kicks off the festivities this year.  With their first exhibitions this weekend, and their first proper game at home against Morehead State next Friday.

Anyone know anything about this year's team?  Picked 7th in the Horizon League poll.  Probably it didn't go down exactly like that, but their 24 points in the poll is what they'd get if _everybody_ picked them 7th.

"Fourth-year head coach John Marovich returns 19 letterwinners, including 10 starters from last year's 5-8-5 team, which posted a 1-5-2 mark in conference action, finishing in a tie for seventh in the Horizon League standings."

vuweathernerd

how young was last year's team? hopefully they can capitalize on that returning experience and win a few more games this year!

valpotx

Interesting, just saw that we have a Texan on the women's team now  :thumbsup:

She played on the state championship team for our largest division (5A) last year, beating my HS in the final  >:(.  My HS has traditionally been in the top 50 nationally for women's soccer every year since it opened (1996-1997), so that must have been a good team she was on to beat them!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 10, 2011, 06:22:51 PM
how young was last year's team? hopefully they can capitalize on that returning experience and win a few more games this year!

Returning 10 starters (of 11) sounds like a pretty young team, last year.  So, probably they're a fairly veteran group this year.  Or, perhaps, they'll be a _really_ veteran group next year.

Maybe I'll check them out this Friday.  I'll need to figure out game times with the kids, 7:30's slightly awkward: but maybe I'll catch the back half of the game, after bed time.

The men have their first game of the season Saturday: hosting Oakland in an exhibition.

Ooh - hold the presses.  The women host IPFW on Sunday at 5:00 PM.  Maybe I can bring the kids out for that.

agibson

I won't start a separate thread for such a short note.  But:

Men's Soccer "kicks off" tonight, at Brown Field.

agibson

I suppose a victory deserves a separated thread, but, anyway Valpo men win 8-0! 

Only an NAIA team (a Calumet College, out of Whiting, way up on the border with Chicago), but, still.  Exciting to put up those kind of numbers!  They went like 23 players deep.

zvillehaze

For any women's soccer fans making the trip to Indy for tomorrow's game, you won't need to shell out any $ for admission!  It's a Free Futbol Friday!  :dance:

http://www.iupuijags.com/news/2011/9/7/WSOC_0907114152.aspx

vuweathernerd

Quote from: zvillehaze on September 08, 2011, 05:09:42 PM
For any women's soccer fans making the trip to Indy for tomorrow's game, you won't need to shell out any $ for admission!  It's a Free Futbol Friday!  :dance:

http://www.iupuijags.com/news/2011/9/7/WSOC_0907114152.aspx

i like the alliteration.

valpotx

Nice win vs. Butler today, scoring 5 seconds before halftime for the 1-0 win!
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Pedersen picked up HL Player of the Week honors this week.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wsoccer/news/2011-12/11125/valparaisos-pedersen-garners-horizon-league-honors/
http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/valpos-pedersen-earns-womens-soccer-player-of-the-week-award.html

The women have one regular season game left, and have already clinched a tournament home game: Nov. 1 beginning at 1 p.m. at Eastgate Field.  They'll play as the third or fourth seed.

(Taylor Root picked up the volleyball defensive player of the week award, too.)

agibson

That didn't quite click for me.  Playoff game... Tuesday at... 1:00 PM?  I hope they get some fans out!  Awkward time.

KL31NY

Quote from: agibson on October 27, 2011, 07:46:10 PM
That didn't quite click for me.  Playoff game... Tuesday at... 1:00 PM?  I hope they get some fans out!  Awkward time.

Well, the league says they have to play Tuesday, Eastgate's lack of lights says they have to play in the afternoon... not a lot of options unfortunately. Doubt many students will come, maybe a hand-full at best.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

agibson

They've played at least one game this season at Brown field, right?  I suppose they're unlikely to attract enough fans there (so far from the pitch!) to overcome the "this isn't our home field" effect.

I'd go out to cheer on a Valpo soccer team in the HL tournament, even if I haven't made it to their other games, but I'm in lab.

valporun

Quote from: KL31NY on October 27, 2011, 10:48:12 PM

Well, the league says they have to play Tuesday, Eastgate's lack of lights says they have to play in the afternoon... not a lot of options unfortunately. Doubt many students will come, maybe a hand-full at best.

I wondered if there was an honest reason why the game couldn't be played at Brown Field at 7PM, unless there was a conflict of some sort with the football practice schedule?

vusupporter

Quote from: valporun on October 28, 2011, 12:30:44 AM
Quote from: KL31NY on October 27, 2011, 10:48:12 PM

I wondered if there was an honest reason why the game couldn't be played at Brown Field at 7PM, unless there was a conflict of some sort with the football practice schedule?

The team's played the vast majority of their games this year on natural grass.  Their home field is natural grass.  They're not going to play their most important game of the year to this point on turf, especially if a grass option is available.

IndyValpo

Women jump out to a 2 goal advantage over Butler 20 minutes in! Spoke too soon, now 2-1 after 30.
We appear to be blowing it, now 2-2 after 40.

vu72

2-2 going into the first overtime!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Too bad, just lost on PKs....good season regardless!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Brutal end.  Butler wins 5-4 in penalty kicks. Ouch.   >:(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Major choke job, very disappointing.  We missed 4 of our last 5 PK's. 3 of which would have won the match. You should never lose after being up 2-0.

setshot

"Scheisse glantz nicht,wenn man sie poliert." It's Butler again and again. >:(

vu72

Can anyone tell me how the shootout kicks work?  I understand the number to be made to win, what I don't understand is the order of who kicks when.  People like Hoaglin and Desario never even kicked.  Instead they had defensive players who hardly ever take a shot on goal.  Seems like you would want your best to shoot first if you had a choice.   ???

IndyValpo

The coach picks 5. After 5 kicks if the score is tied it is sudden death. The coach sets this order as well. I think even the goalies can kick. If tied after 11 kicks I have no idea what comes next. For the first 11 kicks the players must be in the game. Hoaglin was out, I have no idea why Desario did not kick.

We missed at 4 and 5, either one would have sealed a victory.

valporun

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 01, 2011, 06:46:16 PM
The coach picks 5. After 5 kicks if the score is tied it is sudden death. The coach sets this order as well. I think even the goalies can kick. If tied after 11 kicks I have no idea what comes next. For the first 11 kicks the players must be in the game. Hoaglin was out, I have no idea why Desario did not kick.

We missed at 4 and 5, either one would have sealed a victory.

I'm guessing the PKs are set up just like the NHL's shootout? So the coach picks five players who were on the field when time ran out, after those five, if there is a tie still, then he/she picks from the remaining six players on the field, no shooter/kicker can kick again until every legal member has kicked.