• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo losing coaches during school year?

Started by covufan, September 22, 2016, 09:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/778730241531387905

It appears that the Women's Golf team and Bowling Team no longer have the head coaches that started the school year.  Have their been any announcements?  The websites have been updated to longer have the bios of these coaches, but no news.  I can understand being silent on the why, but don't you need to acknowledge that these coaches have either left their programs or been removed?

Vinny

I can only guess that maybe the school is too embarrassed to put out there that their coaches are leaving in the middle of school and in the case of womens golf, the middle of the season?

I don't know but either way it's odd for a coach to leave during this time of the year.

VU2624

Blair's leaving was in The Torch a few weeks ago.

talksalot

Nantais took the gig at Louisiana Tech.  He put it on Facebook a few days ago.

VULB#62

I don't think it has been Valpo's practice to announce/highlight a coach's departure.  There will be news once replacements are hired and even then the departing coach is seldom mentioned.  Even in BD's case the news sources were from where he was going rather than VU, although due to the high profile of the position and the long standing association with the Drew family, the VU AD and President were pretty much pulled into comments.  I do remember when Carlson was relieved of his duties they announced it, but that was because it was before the end of the season and they had to account for the interim HFBC.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on September 23, 2016, 04:51:26 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 23, 2016, 09:00:05 AMEven in BD's case the news sources were from where he was going rather than VU,

Actually Valpo made a big deal of announcing his departure:

http://www.valpo.edu/news/2016/04/06/valpo-mens-basketball-coach-bryce-drew-accepts-position-at-vanderbilt-university/

Not splitting hairs here, but this release was two days after the news broke and 1 day after it was confirmed and coincided with BD's press conference in Nashville.  By that timed Valpo had no choice in the matter and the release linked above merely acknowledged what had already happened.  Obviously Valpo dis not want to break that story and they did the right thing after the fact.  BTW, It still bothers me that BD said so little about his Valpo experience in accepting the Vandy job, but that's water that's flowed under the bridge a long time ago.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 23, 2016, 09:00:05 AMI do remember when Carlson was relieved of his duties they announced it, but that was because it was before the end of the season and they had to account for the interim HFBC.

For women's golf there seems to basically be _no_ interim head coach. The upperclassmen are doing a lot of the lifting, and various administrators in Athletics are helping out (e.g. accompanying them on road trips). Seems to be a growth experience for some of the golfers, certainly a leadership opportunity. But, it can't make life easier. They've had a fairly successful season so far, near as I can tell.