• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Forever Valpo Fundraising Campaign

Started by sfnmman, September 22, 2016, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Makes sense.    "PA building" --?   

crusader05

The university has the new Physician's Assistant 5 year program. They've created a space for the graduate level classes in a building that was part of the hospital purchase and they had the official opening for it and a lot of the state of the art upgraded technology they have at homecoming. It's Annex B which I believe is on the corner of LaPorte at the far end of the hospital grounds

crusadermoe

Whew.   Ok.   I thought you meant Performing Arts building.   As in VUCA.   That would be a bad sign.

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 01, 2018, 06:41:12 PM
Whew.   Ok.   I thought you meant Performing Arts building.   As in VUCA.   That would be a bad sign.

Unfortunately, for athletics supporters, jocks? like us there are still too many that feel this is a good sign and really don't feel athletics is important for student growth.

crusadermoe

I actually participated often in music groups.   My points are strategic in that they help differentiate Valpo from the dozens of options when students create a short list.   

1)  How many private colleges in MN, WI, IL, IN, and MI have music groups?    -Dozens     
     Heck, how many Lutheran private  ones?  - Two Dozen+ ?

2)  How many of said music groups have their concert times posted in major city newspapers 2-3 times a week (in comparisons to game times) and have their music concert results posted on crawls under TV screens and reported on the nightly local news?   -   None!!

78crusader

The campaign website has not been updated for at least a couple months.  Does anyone have any news on this?

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on November 15, 2018, 03:19:22 PM
The campaign website has not been updated for at least a couple months.  Does anyone have any news on this?

Paul

Yes, I contacted the Alumni Office a couple of days ago and was told that the end of October total was $192 mil and that they are on track to meet the $250 mil goal by the end of 2021.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Encouraging to hear!   Now let's get the big MBB booster(s) to get started on the ARC reno.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

vu72

vu72

Nice jump of about $6 million in a month.  Official total now at $199,201,169.   :clap:

crusader05

They've been moving right along. I keep waiting for them to hit a wall especially with only 50 million left now. I have heard the president has been on the road pretty aggressively and is trying really hard to bring this home quickly.

valpo64

Still watching and waiting for a large special designated gift to the ARC renovation as part of the Campaign...any takers out there?

crusader05

I saw Lottich talking to group of alums courtside at Homecoming. If they continue their win streak I can imagine that this can increase their edge in getting the money. Anyone going to the alumni event tonight? Bet there will be some convos happening somewhere.

valpopal

Given the continuing discussions or questions about fundraising, financing, and facilities on the board, I thought I'd pass along today's Chapel devotional distributed to the university by Deaconess Kristin and Pastor Jim, which reflects the current atmosphere of economic concerns across the campus.

A VIGIL FOR VALPO

For many among the faculty and staff of Valparaiso University, last semester was a rough one. Colleges and universities across the country are under financial pressure for a variety of identifiable and sometimes uncontrollable reasons. Here at Valpo we've not been exempt from these issues.

As anyone caught in the present government shutdown will tell you, when money gets tight people get anxious, even fearful. Last semester, in large forums and smaller meetings, faculty and staff sought answers to their questions and gave expression to their concerns. Some of these exchanges became heated. If our community has been typical of other human communities, there have been other, more quiet conversations which have been no less divisive as we identify others who are adding to the problem, not doing their fair share, have some unfair advantage, don't have all the facts, or aren't paying enough attention. The list of accusations can become nearly endless. Though our perspectives and concerns are real and legitimate, frequently in their airing we've not been our best selves. Instead, we've been quick to place blame, assume the worst of others, and succumb to a perspective that the reality of our work together is that our work is against one another: colleges in competition with other colleges, departments with departments, faculty and staff against administration. Many among us are frustrated, angry, fearful, and disappointed. Ironically, if we didn't care so much about it all, we wouldn't be so emotionally engaged.

It's a new year and a new semester but none of what I just described has gone away, nor will it.

We do, however, as a Lutheran university, have significant resources to bring to bear for our life together. The Chapel is offering the morning of Thursday, January 24, as a time of prayer vigil for Valpo. There will be FOUR 20-minute services of music and prayer around the cross on the hour, beginning at 9 a.m. in the Gloria Christi Chapel on the lower level, east end of the Chapel of the Resurrection.

Whether you're a member of the faculty, staff, administration, or a student, you are invited to come at a time that works with your schedule in order to join with others as we pray for ourselves, for our colleagues, for students, and for the university. We will remember that we are a whole university community under the Cross of Christ and that all of our work together, even our best work, is done under the incomprehensible grace of God who responds to our every failing with love and forgiveness. Both of us will be available in the time between the services for private conversation and prayer.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on January 16, 2019, 10:02:07 AM
Given the continuing discussions or questions about fundraising, financing, and facilities on the board, I thought I'd pass along today's Chapel devotional distributed to the university by Deaconess Kristin and Pastor Jim, which reflects the current atmosphere of economic concerns across the campus.

A VIGIL FOR VALPO

For many among the faculty and staff of Valparaiso University, last semester was a rough one. Colleges and universities across the country are under financial pressure for a variety of identifiable and sometimes uncontrollable reasons. Here at Valpo we've not been exempt from these issues.

As anyone caught in the present government shutdown will tell you, when money gets tight people get anxious, even fearful. Last semester, in large forums and smaller meetings, faculty and staff sought answers to their questions and gave expression to their concerns. Some of these exchanges became heated. If our community has been typical of other human communities, there have been other, more quiet conversations which have been no less divisive as we identify others who are adding to the problem, not doing their fair share, have some unfair advantage, don't have all the facts, or aren't paying enough attention. The list of accusations can become nearly endless. Though our perspectives and concerns are real and legitimate, frequently in their airing we've not been our best selves. Instead, we've been quick to place blame, assume the worst of others, and succumb to a perspective that the reality of our work together is that our work is against one another: colleges in competition with other colleges, departments with departments, faculty and staff against administration. Many among us are frustrated, angry, fearful, and disappointed. Ironically, if we didn't care so much about it all, we wouldn't be so emotionally engaged.

It's a new year and a new semester but none of what I just described has gone away, nor will it.

We do, however, as a Lutheran university, have significant resources to bring to bear for our life together. The Chapel is offering the morning of Thursday, January 24, as a time of prayer vigil for Valpo. There will be FOUR 20-minute services of music and prayer around the cross on the hour, beginning at 9 a.m. in the Gloria Christi Chapel on the lower level, east end of the Chapel of the Resurrection.

Whether you're a member of the faculty, staff, administration, or a student, you are invited to come at a time that works with your schedule in order to join with others as we pray for ourselves, for our colleagues, for students, and for the university. We will remember that we are a whole university community under the Cross of Christ and that all of our work together, even our best work, is done under the incomprehensible grace of God who responds to our every failing with love and forgiveness. Both of us will be available in the time between the services for private conversation and prayer.

Pray tell!  What the heck is this all about??  What financial issues?  What financial pressures?  Who against whom?

crusader05

Basically it's related to what has been a country wide decrease in certain areas of enrollment and increased competition in the area. The University's annual budget is based on year by year tuition and so when enrollment is tight and students need more and more financial aide to get them to come here things because and issue. The fact that the law school has become a large financial drain on the university has also hit them. This has meant budget cuts and talks about making the university more financially stable into the future (this is part of why the endowment is such a large focus, it helps take many annual costs off the books to insulate the way the university runs itself from the economic environment). Anyone who has ever been in a business during a belt tightening year can attest to the way it effects morale and I think that is what the vigil is referring too.

crusadermoe

.....and the construction bonds debt is a factor.   Enrollment is issue #1, #2, and #3 because that is the annual cash flow. 

Endowment will be a very slow way to make an impact.  Necessary but not a sufficient help in the next 3-10 years.

Where does the buck stop on enrollment?   See other thread?

crusader05

There has definitely been an all hands on deck type of response in regards to changes, but Universities are a slow ship to turn. We have a new enrollment head and his methods seems to be a tighter focus on the types of students they know thrive the best at Valpo but any major changes tend to take 2 years to notice. The failure to get the vote to transfer the law school is definitely a factor that will be gone in the next two years. I know there is also a committee specifically focused on revenue generation and the Universities tendency to hoard land is a good way it has shored up it's assets.

Everything I've heard is that long term viability is fine, but it's just how rough are the next five years going to be. Small increases in enrollment can help and so can increasing our retention and investing in more updated system and processes. There is also one major retirement happening in the Administration and I wouldn't be surprised if you see a bit more turn over in the next year.

crusadermoe

Yes, when you recruit a small class you live with that lost revenue for four years.

The president of Harvard once said decades ago....... (before the endowment was the size of many countries' GDP)......every year's enrollment has us just  one step away from a crisis. But even with gradual enrollment gains, do they net enough revenue after the big discounts?....aka scholarships?   

The long-term question:  How does Valpo distinguish itself for parents and prospects from hundreds of other smaller universities that offer a PC-dominant culture? 

crusader05

No-one cares about the PC dominate culture. They care about bottom line cost/chance for a job/services (not even dorms any more, students care about having good career centers/counseling centers, etc).  There's a reason that Valpo's College of Engineering and Nursing School continue to see increased enrollment while challenges to certain liberal arts majors exist.

I have talked to someone who has heard what the new enrollment director is focused on it seems that he is taking a more targeted approach focusing on students who are more tied the university's strength as well as areas he believes we can be doing better in such as the college of business. The other main concern is that most universities are supported by tuition dollars from 3 sources: Graduate programs, international students, and students who come from a specific income bracket that can afford to pay more. Two of those are decreasing across the country. One due to a good economy, another due to politics, but the third we can do something about. But we probably don't get those students by stealing them from a Butler or Xavier. We get them by looking at students who are maybe looking at liberal arts colleges slightly smaller than us and show them they can get the smaller college experience with more opportunities.

vu84v2

I believe that crusader05 is correct. Students and parents care about return on the investment. However, I would say that dorms and rec centers are a factor in getting students to decide to come to your school versus other schools. It is tough to compete if you are not at parity on a major factor.

But crusader05 nails it on how trends are influencing declines in enrollment. From the last data that I saw on enrollment, the biggest declines were in the law school, graduate liberal arts and (I believe) the MBA program. The undergraduate professional disciplines are all strong and the undergraduate arts and sciences seem fine. New professional discipline oriented programs at Valpo (physician assistant) respond to enrollment and societal trends that are likely to continue. MBA programs struggle with a strong economy and the return for graduate liberal arts is not there. My fear is that the university won't 'play to its strengths', respond to real trends and make hard decisions, but instead will try to make strategic decisions to please everyone.

And regarding the 'smaller experience with more opportunities' suggestion, I would expand on crusader05's comment and suggest that Valpo (by its personal attention to students) can attract students who may have a much better chance of graduating in a professional discipline at Valpo than at other schools who may offer less personal attention.

78crusader

This probably belongs in the "Facilities" thread rather than part of a fundraising discussion, but a brief story I'd like to share illustrates, in a small way, what VU and other similarly-situated schools are up against.

I work primarily now as a mediator.  Today I was over in the northeast part of Iowa and was informed by one of the lawyers that a large high school in the area recently spent $12 million ... on an aquatics center.

If high schools are spending that kind of money on what is traditionally a smaller sport, imagine what the facilities for basketball and football must look like.  I've heard a $15 million figure tossed around for a remodel of the ARC.  That figure would only be a bit more than one Iowa high school spent on its swimming program.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on January 21, 2019, 03:51:40 PM
This probably belongs in the "Facilities" thread rather than part of a fundraising discussion, but a brief story I'd like to share illustrates, in a small way, what VU and other similarly-situated schools are up against.

I work primarily now as a mediator.  Today I was over in the northeast part of Iowa and was informed by one of the lawyers that a large high school in the area recently spent $12 million ... on an aquatics center.

If high schools are spending that kind of money on what is traditionally a smaller sport, imagine what the facilities for basketball and football must look like.  I've heard a $15 million figure tossed around for a remodel of the ARC.  That figure would only be a bit more than one Iowa high school spent on its swimming program.

Paul

So true.  If you looked at the $ war in Texas football, you would be appalled. $80 million for a high school football stadium.