• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Forever Valpo Fundraising Campaign

Started by sfnmman, September 22, 2016, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: mj on May 13, 2019, 07:54:51 PM
So I've heard that the University has slashed some professor positions as a result of budget issues. Anyone hear anything about that?

I posted the following in a different thread a couple months ago: "Due to budget limitations, I believe Heckler is constrained in spending, making him reluctant to divert much new funding to athletics, and if he did there would be strong opposition from many on campus."

vu72

New total posted.  Now $209,754,977.  That is up about 3.5 million in a little over a month.  A nice jump and 84% of the final goal.  Seems very achievable now.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Now, if our goal was $200 million we could revamp the ARC without incurring debt.

valpo64

Maybe if we exceed the $250,000,000 goal the excess could go to the ARC renovation   :)

crusadermoe

Or bring back the professors and then build the ARC

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on June 18, 2019, 04:31:01 PM
Or bring back the professors and then build the ARC Thrivent Center/Hot Pocket Oven/Pampered Chef Arena/Weathernerd Forecast Building (it may take someone winning the lottery)

vu72

One of the honorary co-chairs of this campaign, Phyllis Duesenberg, recently (June 12) passed away.  She and her husband Richard, were/are among the most generous alumni in the history of our great university.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Now THIS is fundraising. This school isn't even D1 yet (they begin this year I think). I wonder how they were able to raise so much money so fast while we struggle to finish a much more modest endowment drive that began (I believe) around the same time.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/story/2019-08-17/with-unexpected-speed-uc-san-diego-raises-2-billion-in-donations-to-transform-campus

usc4valpo

UC San Diego is a great school, particularly with STEM studies.

crusader05

They also explain in the article that much of the money is marked for health and medicine, specifically research. Having a medical school is also a significant advantage, plus they have a huge student population.

People donate to small schools for different reasons than larger, research schools.

David81

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 19, 2019, 03:09:09 AM
Now THIS is fundraising. This school isn't even D1 yet (they begin this year I think). I wonder how they were able to raise so much money so fast while we struggle to finish a much more modest endowment drive that began (I believe) around the same time.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/story/2019-08-17/with-unexpected-speed-uc-san-diego-raises-2-billion-in-donations-to-transform-campus

UC-San Diego Foundation's endowment (2017 figure) is $1.6 billion.

VU's endowment (2017 figure) is $235 million.

A campaign such as UC- San Diego's builds on previous campaigns. Success begets success.

crusadermoe

With Heckler planning to exit.."when does forever end"  ?

crusader05

Since it's launch the campaign had an end date set for 2021. It still remains 2021.

M

crusadermoe

.....and what follows after forever?     (sorry folks but this is too easy)

vu84v2

Quote from: David81 on August 19, 2019, 09:16:21 PM

A campaign such as UC- San Diego's builds on previous campaigns. Success begets success.

Comparing Valpo to UC-San Diego is like comparing bananas to basketballs. UC-San Diego, besides being a very good school like Valpo, is located among high tech and advanced medical companies. People like the CEO of Qualcomm donate huge sums of money because UC-San Diego provides a rich and close source of valuable talent.

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 04, 2019, 03:02:51 PM
Quote from: David81 on August 19, 2019, 09:16:21 PM

Comparing Valpo to UC-San Diego is like comparing bananas to basketballs. UC-San Diego, besides being a very good school like Valpo, is located among high tech and advanced medical companies. People like the CEO of Qualcomm donate huge sums of money because UC-San Diego provides a rich and close source of valuable talent.

I bet they never used that analogy at UC Santa Cruz.

crusadermoe

As Aretha Franklin once sang, "I say a little prayer for you."   

"Forever and ever and ever and ever"

:) :lol: ;D

sfnmman

Was anything said during Homecoming regarding the campaign and the latest total raised?  It seems like the amount has been stuck on $218 million for a long time.  I would have expected an updated total to be posted around Homecoming time and perhaps some news. The PR efforts of Valpo to generate enthusiasm and buzz are anemic (at least from my perspective.)  Yes, the President is going to retire but the University still has to function and friends and alumni are interested in the future plans and vision of the University.  The news feed is anemic. :snore: :-X

vu72

Quote from: sfnmman on October 03, 2019, 05:33:25 PM
Was anything said during Homecoming regarding the campaign and the latest total raised? It seems like the amount has been stuck on $218 million for a long time.  I would have expected an updated total to be posted around Homecoming time and perhaps some news. The PR efforts of Valpo to generate enthusiasm and buzz are anemic (at least from my perspective.)  Yes, the President is going to retire but the University still has to function and friends and alumni are interested in the future plans and vision of the University.  The news feed is anemic. :snore: :-X

Yes.  The total posted on the website is now up to $218,278,310 which is what President Heckler said at Homecoming  That was it on the total but as usual, there were students at every table who were recipients of scholarships and, again as usual, one of the speakers was a very impressive student.

I agree the publicity is "anemic" but the rate of growth does seem pretty solid.  He did say the plan was to end the drive in another year and a half.

78crusader

Been stuck at $220 million for some time now.

Paul

valpo64

I would think there will be some late, end of the year gifts, processing of which could be delayed because of the holidays.

crusader05

I've heard they expect to be done at the end so I wonder if there's a large gift in the works that they expect to get us most of the way or all the way there. Last thing I saw said "over 220 million" but no idea how much over means.

Tin foil hatting it: based on Paul Oren's podcast that he heard about money for baseball and that we have heard their are ARC reno plans out there maybe lead donors for that?

crusadermoe

You might be on to something.   

Maybe there is a grand plan afoot to culminate the 10-year campaign with a huge gift to athletics?..

They may have kept a 9-year secret that the campaign will close out with $30 million for athletics.  Perhaps they've kept the best for last in hopes we enjoy the suspense.  Think about it.....in 2011 they recorded a $15 million to the campaign for a chapel addition.    And now in 2020.....they unveil a huge campaign ending gift!   

It could be that Christmas where you wanted and prayed for a shiny new bike all year.  But on Christmas day, you keep opening bland stuff like socks, brown and gold sweaters, toy microscopes, parking garages for your matchbox cars.  (Unknown to you, the camera pans to your parents who wink to each other.) 

Then once you have slumped into your chair with a sigh.....your folks lock eyes and Dad leaves the room.   Suddenly he enters the room rolling in the exact bike you wanted!  Everyone cries tears of joy, a choir breaks out in song, and it becomes an instant holiday classic!