• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Construction on campus

Started by 94Alum, December 19, 2016, 08:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephtheria47

Maybe I missed this but what is in the old first source bank on lincolnway/laporte by the roundabout? I noticed it had a name on the building and it's a "hall"....im assuming it's now part of the university but maybe not?

agibson

That sounds like the Innovation Hub, a joint venture of the College of Business and the College of Engineering.

https://www.valpo.edu/news/2017/04/18/valparaiso-university-establishes-innovation-hub/

elephtheria47

VU2014

There is going to be even less parking on campus... When I was a student the lack of parking was an issue. I'm not sure if that's been addressed in any sort of way. I know the University wanted to almost force student to walk everywhere and not drive to class, which sometimes was a pain if you lived off campus and couldn't find parking.

It would be nice if they'd address the parking issue around the ARC.

https://twitter.com/nwi/status/960128422923177986

Valparaiso committee reviews plans for improvement to Valparaiso University campus
Joyce Russell joyce.russell@nwi.com,
219-548-4352  6 hrs ago

The city's site review committee took a preliminary look at the university's plan to remove parking from the east end of the campus to the perimeter and replace it with a series of pathways and quads.

The construction could begin shortly after commencement in May. The first phase would be completed before classes begin in the fall.

The project begins at the east end at Sturdy Road. Phase one ends at the Center of the Arts. Two additional phases will take the project to the Chapel of the Resurrection. It does not include the construction of any buildings, Ritter said, but focuses on hardscape and landscape.

........... http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso-committee-reviews-plans-for-improvement-to-valparaiso-university-campus/article_1892bc08-ada0-540d-9d44-a3aebe7c9906.html?utm_content=buffer02048&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

VUGrad1314

Another parking lot gone... How are people supposed to attend games if they can't park their cars? Without any sort of counter-measure, this is a great way to kill athletics programs es especially with the students appearing to be so (a)pathetic when it comes to showing up for games. Suggested counter-measure: funnel parking to that giant lot across from the Horizon Bank and operate a fan shuttle. Notre Dame has a similar campus layout to the one proposed here and they operate a shuttle that drops people off very close to the stadium. Short of rebuilding the parking garage, this could be the only way to stave off the attendance decline that will come from eliminating yet more parking space.

M

Is this parking used for anything besides commuter students/faculty/staff?  I can't imagine it's dorm parking and it's definitely not being used by people going to basketball games (although I can see how if it is used for dorm parking it could affect game parking).

crusader05

its not really a ton of parking and I think was generally staff. They have already worked to prep for it by adding staff parking by neils and working to get residents to park in the garage rather than have it half epty

M

So this is another small thing that a few want to turn into a big deal?  Got it.

crusader05

Yeah there really isn't an issue with lack of parking on the east side of campus at all.

In fact, until last year when they started exchanging some residential parking for commuter and staff on the east side the four story parking garage was often only half full. They have no made the row of parking in front of all the dorms from Scheele to Alumni either commuter or staff which has moved students into the garage.

They're basically only getting ride of the strip of parking in front of the meteorology and communications building and the VUCA which isn't very many spots and is in a bit of disrepair.
Honestly it will be nice to have more green space and better landscaping on campus, especially near the academic buildings. It will increase that collegiate atmosphere and hell, maybe they could even create a quad or two which is something I've always wished Valpo had more of.
They problem really is the lack of parking on the west side of campus. If they suceed in moving some of the last few academic building closer to the main part of campus that could definitely help but they still need a spot for GM residents if you want that parking lot in front of the arc to be for sports visitors. If they could put a small parking garage near where the linwood apartments were that might help but I know they don't want to mess with the volleyball courts there or the hill as students do utilize that area.

agibson

Thanks for posting the article. It's more than I've seen in writing, but I probably don't follow _every_ way that such developments and plans are discussed on campus. But, I do suspect that the university does a relatively poor job of communicating these things to staff.

I have been hearing about some of these plans in the last weeks, but only informally.

The (faculty/staff) lot west of Neils was closed for building construction/renovation, and as far as I know it was announced only informally that it will _not_ re-open, but will instead be turned into green space. The VUCA lot is used by a number of faculty and staff, as I recall, and also students. When I've tried to use it, even in the evenings, it's often been full. I guess these two moves (Neils and VUCA) together will push some faculty further afield, behind the Union, or even into the softball lots.

I guess there's probably enough capacity in the garage, in the lots on the east and south-east sides of campus, and in the softball lots, for everyone. But, it will shift things around.

I guess it will have only second-order effects on athletics. If more people are using the softball lots during the day, there might be less room available in those lots for basketball games (this is already sometimes an issue when there are other evening events on campus; I've been pushed into parking behind the Union a number of times for basketball games, though not yet this season; I don't particularly consider the Union to be too far from the ARC).

Overall, I like the idea of a more-pedestrian campus. Particularly with the move to ten-minute passing periods I don't know that we've really solved the issue of cross-campus commutes. But, I'm not convinced that cars were a good solution to that, anyway. If these moves push more people into behavior like biking to campus (we could use some covered parking), or "park my car on the perimeter, leave it there for the day" that sounds like a positive development to me.

It will take some getting used to. And, I wish they'd communicate better with campus stakeholders. But, overall, seems positive.

crusader05

I agree. There really has been a consistent transition (which is good) away from allowing students to assume they have direct parking next to whatever building they had class in at the time. Residents should have cars parked in the garage and commuter parking should generally be on the outskirts. Valpo is still a small campus so other than some cross campus commutes there's little reason you need to drive to class or park right next to it.

Also, like everything, it will soon become normal to the students and will seem less disruptive. I already feel we have seen an increase in bikes on campus and my guess it will become even more common. At least during the not snowy months

agibson

Quote from: crusader05 on February 05, 2018, 11:38:23 AMI already feel we have seen an increase in bikes on campus and my guess it will become even more common. At least during the not snowy months

I've not decided what's necessary/really important if you want to bike all winter:
-)Nothing, just regular maintenance.
-)Covered parking
-)Indoor parking

It's a different version of the same questions just for students who want to bike in good weather, but _keep_ their bikes on campus during the winter.

I use indoor parking on campus, clearly not now available to all who might be interested, and that's enough to let me bike most days, even in the winter.

valpo64

Isn't the long-term lease for the restraurant at the corner of IN49 and US 30 about over?   I believe the University owns that whole corner and the long-range plans that were released a few years ago showed some real neat improvements and a great appearance for our School as one approaches it from the East.

VUGrad1314

Are you talking about Broadway Cafe? Man I hope they find a place to relocate. That place serves some fantastic food.

M

Hate that place...I'd be happy to assist in its tear down!

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on February 05, 2018, 03:30:55 PM
Isn't the long-term lease for the restraurant at the corner of IN49 and US 30 about over?   I believe the University owns that whole corner and the long-range plans that were released a few years ago showed some real neat improvements and a great appearance for our School as one approaches it from the East.
[/b]

Yes, the plan shows a pond on that corner.  The restaurant is the only remaining non University piece.  Gaining that space for whatever use would really add to the overall ambiance.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Several years ago I was told that the University did own that restraurant land and once the current lease expired we would develope same with the pond, etc.

crusader05

I've heard some rumblings that the lease is almost up as well so  wonder if we will hear something soon.

Also saw a few proposed renderings of some of the green space. Not sure how up to date they are but they looked to include tree lined walkways and less of the flat grass style we currently have.

covufan

Quote from: crusader05 on February 06, 2018, 06:08:36 PM
I've heard some rumblings that the lease is almost up as well so  wonder if we will hear something soon.

Also saw a few proposed renderings of some of the green space. Not sure how up to date they are but they looked to include tree lined walkways and less of the flat grass style we currently have.

The exercise lot - free parking and a brisk walk to the ARC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agibson

Quote from: valpo64 on February 06, 2018, 03:17:24 PM
Several years ago I was told that the University did own that restraurant land and once the current lease expired we would develope same with the pond, etc.

I'd love to have a disc golf course on campus. Something less challenging than Rogers Lakewood. Can't have liability issues much more significant than a pond, right?

I liked Broadway pretty well as a student. Their avgolemeno and rolls were great. I went back as a grad... I guess it must have been 2011, since my memory was that the place was very smoky, which definitely dampened the experience. Maybe I've been back once since that, but the place didn't have the same sparkle as when I was a student.

Diners, and Greek diners, seem like good things to have around. Probably I should give them another shake sometime. But, there are lots of other options. (If you haven't already, consider Louie Wingz, at the old Maria Elena's location in Hilltop, before or after your next game at the ARC!)

crusader05

I'd really like to see more late night places near campus.

We frequented Dennys a ton when I was a student but it and El Amigo were not located in a place you could get without a car. Just one diner/coffee shop hangout place that's open til 1 or 2 could do a great deal for the night life aspect of valpo. Not just as a late night pit stop but as a place that's not a dorm where you could go, drink coffee and hang for hours

vu72

Is the Broadway Cafe the old Orange Bowl or was the OB further down 30?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

agibson

Quote from: crusader05 on February 07, 2018, 12:55:53 PM
I'd really like to see more late night places near campus.

We frequented Dennys a ton when I was a student but it and El Amigo were not located in a place you could get without a car. Just one diner/coffee shop hangout place that's open til 1 or 2 could do a great deal for the night life aspect of valpo. Not just as a late night pit stop but as a place that's not a dorm where you could go, drink coffee and hang for hours

For late night food, for me in the 90's it was Taco Bello south of 30, or sometimes Steak 'n Shake.

For late night studying, in public, it was sometimes the 24-hour computer lounge that used to operate in the old Union. (There's maybe still such a space, but it doesn't have its own entrance, so I guess you have to be in there before the building closes.)

VU2014

It looks like campus is undergoing quite the landscaping job right now. Can't wait to see how it turns out at Homecoming.

https://twitter.com/ValpoU/status/1017108598952988672