• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

And thank goodness this is happening. I mean, sure, we can wonder about a lack of institutional control at Michigan State or Baylor football, or Kansas basketball. But I think the world deserves to know about Jubril. In fact, I think a Game of Thrones style walk of shame is what is missing today. Pardon the crudeness of the copy and pasting, it's early.  http://imgur.com/zPALWfJ

FWalum

Quote from: sliman on February 16, 2017, 09:32:11 PM
Here's a theory I don't believe anyone has posed; if so, I apologize for having missed it.  If we can believe the original report that the issue relates to another student allegedly doing academic work for an athlete and this was brought to the attention of the university, it is likely that the university self-reported it to the NCAA. Then, the NCAA launches an investigation, not only of this alleged event but also a more thorough investigation to determine if this is an isolated incident or if there have been other such instances among student athletes which would show a lack of institutional control.  Such an investigation, crossing across all sports, obviously would be lengthy so perhaps the delay has nothing to do with punishment but is really a delay brought about by the complexity of the investigation.  Perhaps this is the type of case we've read about where a judgment is handed down on misdeeds that occurred more than a year earlier.  Perhaps the university has no control over the amount of time this is taking and is being wise to not comment if it would have to acknowledge an NCAA investigation is taking place which might foster a belief among the public that the university is guilty until proven innocent.  If the university is guilty of NCAA violations, I'm confident it will be admitted, but only after the NCAA completes its investigation (which I hope and believe it will find is an isolated case).
To an extent this makes some sense, but why would Jubril bear the brunt for a wider spread "university" issue?  This really only makes sense if he was the one aiding other students and has a role in the ongoing investigation. Unless of course if they are checking all the way back to JA's kindergarten records to make sure VU didn't give a scholarship to someone who falsified NCAA clearinghouse information.  ;)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpospartan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 17, 2017, 07:04:04 AM
And thank goodness this is happening. I mean, sure, we can wonder about a lack of institutional control at Michigan State or Baylor football, or Kansas basketball. But I think the world deserves to know about Jubril. In fact, I think a Game of Thrones style walk of shame is what is missing today. Pardon the crudeness of the copy and pasting, it's early.  http://imgur.com/zPALWfJ

Would you please let us know about the lack of institutional control at Michigan State?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpospartan on February 17, 2017, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 17, 2017, 07:04:04 AM

Would you please let us know about the lack of institutional control at Michigan State?

I've heard from Michigan relatives that there have been significant issues with the non core programs.  Is this true?  I.e. Softball etc

oklahomamick

Can't be worse than Baylor.  Big 12 announced last week it was not giving Baylor 25% of the their share of the conference revenue. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

I think FWalum was correct in his "possibility" that Jubril may have had a problem in his pre-school years.  I heard that he had some other student complete his pla-do project.  It took his school months to figure out who did it.   Hummmm, come to think about it, this sounds a little like Jubril's situation today...grade school kids trying to figure out who did what.

hailcrusaders

Paul Oren just posted a statement from Valpo Athletics on Twitter that suggests that Adekoya has been suspended by the NCAA for the remainder of the season. VU has tried to appeal unsuccessfully.
#CrusadersForever

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

hailcrusaders

"As a result of an academic matter, Valparaiso University removed Jubril Adekoya from basketball competition consistent with our requirements as an NCAA member institution. The University and the NCAA collaboratively conducted a review related to this matter. At the conclusion of the review, the University proposed a suspension for half of the season, however, the NCAA decided Jubril was ineligible to play in any regular or post-season games.

Valpo appealed this decision through several avenues. The appeals were unsuccessful, and we are bound by the NCAA decision. Valpo's statements during the past months on Jubril's status were made in a manner to protect the integrity of the University's and NCAA's joint investigation while respecting Jubril's right to privacy.

Jubril Adekoya has been an integral member of the Valpo basketball team, and he has helped lead the team to success. While we are disheartened at the outcome of the NCAA's decision, it doesn't change Jubril's legacy as a champion, Valparaiso University basketball player, or student."

So there it is.
#CrusadersForever

NativeCheesehead

I don't wish ill on anyone. But I hope Mark Emmerts steak is cooked incorrectly tonight.

Kyle321n

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 17, 2017, 03:34:45 PM
I don't wish ill on anyone. But I hope Mark Emmerts steak is cooked incorrectly tonight.

I hope it's made with mad cow meat. And by that he I hope eats some brain.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 17, 2017, 03:34:45 PM

What's done is done.  Wish it would have been done more efficiently.  Jubril seems like a good person, but he clearly did something bad enough for this type of result.  Hope it doesn't extend beyond Jubril, what deflating timing with OU tonight.

bigmosmithfan1

Could VU or Jubril seek injunctive relief from a court on this? The NCAA has not had a good track record getting judges to buy into their spotty and selective enforcements in recent years. And before you say, "oh, that will make enemies with the NCAA," well, what good did bending over backwards for them get VU in this case and the Carter decision?

NativeCheesehead

I will also say this regarding the NCAA. If Jubril is done for the year, fine. But then Baylor football must receive the death penalty.

M

Ugh...suppose tonight the team can either rally around Jubril (like they have been all year) or just show up and go through the motions.

How unfortunate. Thanks for 3 plus years JA, it was a pleasure watching you play.

valpolaw

Sad result but I guess Jubril did this to himself.  Don't know the details to determine whether it warrants full suspension though.  There's a sports law clinic over at the law school.  I would hope they've exhausted or are exhausting all potential avenues on this issue. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on February 17, 2017, 03:40:53 PM
Could VU or Jubril seek injunctive relief from a court on this? The NCAA has not had a good track record getting judges to buy into their spotty and selective enforcements in recent years. And before you say, "oh, that will make enemies with the NCAA," well, what good did bending over backwards for them get VU in this case and the Carter decision?

Solid point, I think it was our morales as a University that led us to be forthcoming NOT threat of the NCAA (completely).  But if we file, does that mean Jubril can play.  Let's say yes, innocent until proven guilty.  But what about it being upheld...are we then found in violation if its upheld?

Dave_2010

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it will probably slap another two years probation on Cleveland State." -Jerry Tarkanian

North Carolina had better get drilled for its decade of academic fraud after this. Probably won't seeing as how the NCAA loves taking its anger at big programs out on the mid majors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpolaw on February 17, 2017, 03:47:06 PM
Sad result but I guess Jubril did this to himself.  Don't know the details to determine whether it warrants full suspension though.  There's a sports law clinic over at the law school.  I would hope they've exhausted or are exhausting all potential avenues on this issue.

Ive understood MIKE Straubel is well known in the sports world as a professor at VUL and the cross country coach.  Knew him when I was on the track team, not sure if he's still active.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 17, 2017, 03:43:52 PM
I will also say this regarding the NCAA. If Jubril is done for the year, fine. But then Baylor football must receive the death penalty.

SMU would like a word with you.  If Penn State didn't receive the death penalty, what makes you think Baylor will?

FWalum

When the University makes the kinds of statements that they have made supporting Jubril, I am having a hard time understanding what he could have done that the NCAA would impose a season long suspension.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Very disappointing.  For the record, I did receive an email response from Mark Heckler today with the same information.  He added "We are all deeply disappointed with the outcome of the NCAA decision. All of us worked hard for a different outcome. And I certainly can understand the frustration our wonderful and loyal fans have experienced over this matter."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: FWalum on February 17, 2017, 03:55:56 PM
When the University makes the kinds of statements that they have made supporting Jubril, I am having a hard time understanding what he could have done that the NCAA would impose a season long suspension.

Yes, reading the university statement carefully, one can detect frustration and anger at the NCAA. The statement makes a point of distinguishing between the punishment recommended by Valpo and its rejection by the NCAA. That separation did not need to be made in detail unless to emphasize a point of contention with the NCAA. Secondly, the university statement proceeds with an entire paragraph to clearly characterize Jubril positively, almost praising him (as a "champion, Valparaiso University basketball player, and a student"), and in the same paragraph by contrast speaks about being "disheartened at the outcome of this NCAA decision." The statement further points out that the review of this situation was done collaboratively by the university and the NCAA, which means both bodies looked at the same evidence together, and the university came to a different judgment, opposing the conclusion reached by the NCAA. The statement might seem diplomatic, but in between the lines it is a rebuttal, a rebuke, and a refutation of the NCAA decision.   

valpolaw

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2017, 03:52:51 PMIve understood MIKE Straubel is well known in the sports world as a professor at VUL and the cross country coach.  Knew him when I was on the track team, not sure if he's still active.

The law school's website says Straubel is still there.