• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball 2012

Started by jetz, August 28, 2011, 12:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

I'm a new Valpo baseball fan and thought I'd post here to start to get a feel for this Forum.  Hopefully I can pick up a little knowledge from the regulars here.  The 2011-2012 baseball team has 35 on the roster.  Of those 35, 18 are new to the program.  Some are freshmen but many are transfers.  I know the kids are having a great first week getting to know each other.  The team is headed out to Gary for a Railcats game tomorrow night.  Fall ball practices also start this week.  Looking forward to a Horizon League championship run from this team in 2012...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

vu72

many of us fans really don't follow the baseball team other than to wish them well and hope for  conference championship.  Valpotx is a former player and very knowledgeable when it comes to Valpo baseball and her former players.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jetz

OK, I understand that in the Fall.  Let's get some baseball discussion started here, to include Valpo alums in the minors, current players in their summer programs, etc.  This team will contend for what I believe will be the school's first Horizon League championship in any sport this spring. 

Crusader65

I think that there is a very good chance that the volleyball team might get that first ever Horizon championship this year before the baseball gets it's chance.  The women have been knocking on this door for the last 4 years it's time to kick it in.

valpotx

It will be between volleyball, softball, and baseball for the first championship I am sure. 

Welcome to board jetz, and feel free to ask any baseball-related questions as they come to you!  Are you a new fan because of a family member that is joining our team?
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on August 29, 2011, 01:03:56 PM
It will be between volleyball, softball, and baseball for the first championship I am sure. 

Welcome to board jetz, and feel free to ask any baseball-related questions as they come to you!  Are you a new fan because of a family member that is joining our team?
Thanks, valpotx, for the welcome and yes, I am a baseball dad.  So as not to embarrass my son and also to reserve the right to either gloat or pout in anonymity, he shall remain nameless for now. :-X First question:  since I don't know the rotation from last year, who shapes up to be the weekend starters in 2012?  How about a closer?  I know Coach Woodson is big on bringing in some arms...

valpotx

If healthy, Jarad Miller would probably be the closer, as he was two seasons ago before getting hurt last season (Third Team All-American as a closer).  My assumption of starting pitching from afar would be Tyler Deetjen, Kevin Upp, and Kevin Wild based off of last season.  That of course depends on how the incoming players line up against them.  Karch Kowalczyk could also be a closer/setup guy.

We graduated our main starting pitching unfortunately in Jon Gulbransen, Damon McCormick, and Justin Frane.  Someone will have to step up from the newbies or relievers.  Deetjen was one of our top 3 starters in games, so we at least have one solid starter with collegiate starting experience.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

OK so pencil in Deetjen as the Friday starter, maybe J Miller as a closer--good to have a senior there.  How about an everyday lineup/batting order?  I realize there will be lots of holes to be filled in by new arrivals, but can you remember any returning starters from last year and where they will be defensively?  Can you fill out a 1-9 batting order, leaving blanks where you think they will be and plugging in returners in their likely spot?  This will probably be just guessing, but it'd be good to get a feel for what's coming back...

mgovalpo

This doesn't really fit in with your current discussion, but Kendall Rogers at Perfect Game just posted that he has seen Arkansas' schedule and that it includes a non-conference series with Valpo.  Kudos to Coach Woodson for getting a series like this on our 2012 schedule.

valpotx

Coach Woodson is doing a great job all-around.  He has scheduled tough competition each year against some top teams, which did not happen that much when I was playing.  I really enjoy seeing the West coast and Southern teams on the schedule to challenge us before conference, as it only makes our conference foes seem easier in comparison.  The fact we have competed pretty well against tough top teams in recent years is impressive as well.  I was always expecting 8-10 run losses, but we keep them within 1-4 runs each game in most circumstances.

I assume we play @ Arkansas?  If so, I may have to make that series being only a few hours away, and see it with a buddy of mine that played ball there. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Agree.  The only way to get good athletes from places like California is to schedule some tough teams.  The Arkansas schedule is a highlight on this year's schedule, but the team will spend Spring Break traveling around the Carolinas.  If I remember right, they play some big names there as well--I'm thinking College of Charleston or Coastal Carolina, but can't remember exactly.  I do remember thinking that it was a great schedule for Valpo to play as it will toughen us up for a run to a Regional berth.  Coach Woodson is moving the program in the right direction.  When the schedule comes out, I'm sure you guys will be impressed.  Not heading out West this year, though.  Next year (2013) is looking like a Florida trip with Kentucky included on the way back.

Yes, the Arkansas series is there, and they have a great facility, complete with luxury suites and a capacity of 8K or so.....

valpotx

Yes, I went to our series with Arkansas a few years back.  I look forward to hopefully seeing us play someday in my state.  Maybe a series against TCU, Baylor, or Dallas Baptist :-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Don't think this story has been posted before.  John Mutka goes in depth about the team and its sucessful recruiting:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/mutka/7458326-452/john-mutka-three-pros-raise-valparaisos-baseball-profile.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Thanks for the article!  Neat that a Valpo HS guy will be playing down here at my graduate school that I volunteer coached at when doing my MBA.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

It would probably be hard to recruit in TX due to how many schools nationally recruit this state, but even if we got a 2nd/3rd tier guy at some of these high schools in N. Texas, it would be a great get!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: vu72 on September 10, 2011, 07:37:30 AM
Don't think this story has been posted before.  John Mutka goes in depth about the team and its sucessful recruiting:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/mutka/7458326-452/john-mutka-three-pros-raise-valparaisos-baseball-profile.html

Yes, thanks for that post.  Please keep posting as you come across these items.  The schedule is out for 2012 if you all haven't checked it yet.  Arkansas, Wake Forest, ND, and other nice schools.  Campbell is a good baseball school, as is SC-Upstate.  A couple of questions:  Where's Grace?  Do we historically schedule more MAC teams than this year?  Seems like that would be a good fit, but I like the current schedule. 

Remember the golf/bowling fundraiser for baseball on the 24th at Valpo.  Starts at 12:30, $100 for the golf and $35 I think for the bowling.  Everything provided.  :thumbsup:

vu72

valpotx

We used to schedule a decent amount of MAC teams when I was playing, mainly Ball State, Western Michigan, and maybe Central/Eastern Michigan.  I think we mainly play Ball State often now per the MAC schools.

I like the schedule as always with Coach Woodson.  Definitely helps to schedule tougher competition in baseball to get used to the better pitching.  Everything else after these teams is that much easier after some of these programs we have on the schedule.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Nice to see Wake Forest on the schedule.  They are in my opinion the school we should be emulating. Building a closer relationship with them would be a good thing.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo84

Wake also moved into the former-W-S minor league team's ballpark last year as their home field, while the minor league team moved into a new stadium. I believe that W-S is the White Sox high-A minor league affiliate.

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/facilities/wake-wfbp.html

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2011/2/21/2006151/wake-forest-baseball-home-opener-its-the-right-thing-to-do
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

Coach Woodson just keeps on impressing me with his recruiting!  To get three Texans of this quality only makes me even happier, even though they are from more of the middle part of the state :-)...maybe we will get some from DFW soon as well, and I am more than willing to help recommend programs as always!  I have always said that we can get some top talent from my state that otherwise go to other mid-majors, or to top D-2 teams.  I like how we still get a good core of midwest players, but are bringing in players from CA and TX (FL next?).  Overall this recruiting class sounds impressive, so I am hopeful of continuing our much improved program.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11232/valparaiso-baseball-announce-2012-recruiting-class/
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on November 22, 2011, 12:52:52 PM
Coach Woodson just keeps on impressing me with his recruiting!  To get three Texans of this quality only makes me even happier, even though they are from more of the middle part of the state :-)...maybe we will get some from DFW soon as well, and I am more than willing to help recommend programs as always!  I have always said that we can get some top talent from my state that otherwise go to other mid-majors, or to top D-2 teams.  I like how we still get a good core of midwest players, but are bringing in players from CA and TX (FL next?).  Overall this recruiting class sounds impressive, so I am hopeful of continuing our much improved program.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2011-12/11232/valparaiso-baseball-announce-2012-recruiting-class/

Lots of RHPs with good size.  I was impressed with the TX connection as well.  Would love to see some LHPs show up somewhere. The team had a decent fall, but it seems like the pitchers got hit pretty hard in the intrasquad series.  Rust?  Freshmen?  Good offense or spotty pitching?  Lots of open spots in the rotation at the moment with weekend starting spots still up for grabs.  I have to believe that's why the emphasis on RHPs in the 2012 class.  Sounds like a nice job by the coaching staff so far.

valpotx

By the time the Crusader World Series comes around, hitters always have the advantage.  Each hitter has seen the pitchers many times over during the various scrimmages we always had, that they may be getting their 10th AB against some of these guys by the time that rolls around.  I used to love the first few scrimmages when the hitters were rusty, just because we all knew that they would soon catch on to how each of us throws.  You always have someone that just dominates every pitcher/hitter, but that is the exception rather than the expectation.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Collegiate Baseball Newspaper just published their Top 40 poll for 2012.  I see Arkansas is listed as #8, and we go there for our second series of the year.  There are others on our schedule, including ND, who at least received some votes.  Here's the link:

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2011/12/19/collegiate-baseball-newspaper-2012-preseason-top-40/

valpotx

I will be going to at least one of the Arkansas games, going with a friend that played there.  Probably the closest we will get to playing in my state, so I am hoping that happens in the future as well!  A road trip against TCU and Baylor would be nice in the near future, and would test us mightily  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"