• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Motor City Madness ... What a joke

Started by Valpo89, February 17, 2017, 01:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yayphoenixyay

The Phoenix will still be a competitor for a top 3 seed. We lost a lot of players but honestly it is more "trimming the fat." 3 guys were below average, non system players, while our Juco transfers were solid, but not unreplacable by any means. We are very excited about our incoming freshmen and we still have two scholarships to give. We also have a JUCO guy coming in who averages something like 27/8 the last time I checked. Plus, we have a 4.5 star Marquette transfer who will have a year and a half. Watch out for us, I think we will be more competitive next year.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: yayphoenixyay on March 06, 2017, 08:00:33 PM
The Phoenix will still be a competitor for a top 3 seed. We lost a lot of players but honestly it is more "trimming the fat." 3 guys were below average, non system players, while our Juco transfers were solid, but not unreplacable by any means. We are very excited about our incoming freshmen and we still have two scholarships to give. We also have a JUCO guy coming in who averages something like 27/8 the last time I checked. Plus, we have a 4.5 star Marquette transfer who will have a year and a half. Watch out for us, I think we will be more competitive next year.

Haha, knew you were still lurking!  Figured it'd set you up nicely.

yayphoenixyay

SanityLost17

Counted 611 people for game 2.  Counting bands and ticket takers.

My BAC is higher than the attendance. 

justducky

Since your judgement is impaired, I demand a recount! Looks closer to 400 to me.

SanityLost17

Also.  They let us in for free. 

Also got a beer for free, too.  The lady serving dirty blonde beer is not happy "having to work on Monday night in front of 200 people." I let her vent and got a free drink. 

EddieCabot

On a positive note, all teams in the semis reached the teens in scoring by halftime, so there's that.  :thumbsup:

wh

Based on his early posts, I wrote yayphoenixyay off as a troll. Suddenly, he gets rid of the edge and actually seems like a decent guy with a legitimate point of view.

Welcome to the board, Phoenix!

yayphoenixyay

^ Our forum is pretty dead, gotta vent somewhere...

bbtds

bbtds

Quote from: yayphoenixyay on March 06, 2017, 07:47:29 PM
The only consolation would be if the winning coach of the tournament was anointed "Little Caesar" by LeCrone while all 20 fans shower him with pepperoni from the seats after the final buzzer has sounded.

To see that actually happen wouldn't have surprised me at this tournament.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on March 06, 2017, 11:28:23 AM
LeCrone protests too much as he spins for the media and directs his staff to do so as well: "We weren't disappointed with an outcome," LeCrone said... "We met as a staff and said, 'That was great' (the excitement and atmosphere). Nobody was pouting, nobody was glum, nobody had their lower lip stuck out because Oakland lost. I tell the staff all the time, what happens in the rectangle, we have no control over. We weren't one bit disappointed, not a bit. We were actually energized. That's what I didn't want characterized, that we were disappointed. We weren't."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/06/horizon-tourneys-success-ou-udm-shoulders/98805574/

I have to agree with LeCrone. It doesn't seem quiet in the arena, the games have been exciting and I, myself, have not been disappointed.

I think it just makes you guys feel better to poo poo what has become an exciting and entertaining tournament. If you guys want to sit at home, complain all you want about this tournament. You are the ones missing out. I have enjoyed this tournament immensely. You guys really are missing out. Downtown Detroit is a whole lot more entertaining then I would have imagined. Haven't seen any sign of a slum or crime problems. 

hailcrusaders

Quote from: bbtds on March 07, 2017, 12:18:12 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 06, 2017, 11:28:23 AMLeCrone protests too much as he spins for the media and directs his staff to do so as well: "We weren't disappointed with an outcome," LeCrone said... "We met as a staff and said, 'That was great' (the excitement and atmosphere). Nobody was pouting, nobody was glum, nobody had their lower lip stuck out because Oakland lost. I tell the staff all the time, what happens in the rectangle, we have no control over. We weren't one bit disappointed, not a bit. We were actually energized. That's what I didn't want characterized, that we were disappointed. We weren't." http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/06/horizon-tourneys-success-ou-udm-shoulders/98805574/
I have to agree with LeCrone. It doesn't seem quiet in the arena, the games have been exciting and I, myself, have not been disappointed. I think it just makes you guys feel better to poo poo what has become an exciting and entertaining tournament. If you guys want to sit at home, complain all you want about this tournament. You are the ones missing out. I have enjoyed this tournament immensely. You guys really are missing out. Downtown Detroit is a whole lot more entertaining then I would have imagined. Haven't seen any sign of a slum or crime problems.

Barring a 16-seed play-in game (and even then, maybe), the HL representative is going to get murdered in their first game of the NCAA's. There's your crime problem.
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

With Milwaukee making it to the HL Final, I'm not even mad about Valpo losing anymore. More amused than anything. The only word I can come up with for this year's edition of the HLT is a "spectacle", and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
#CrusadersForever

vu72

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 07, 2017, 12:33:46 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 07, 2017, 12:18:12 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 06, 2017, 11:28:23 AMLeCrone protests too much as he spins for the media and directs his staff to do so as well: "We weren't disappointed with an outcome," LeCrone said... "We met as a staff and said, 'That was great' (the excitement and atmosphere). Nobody was pouting, nobody was glum, nobody had their lower lip stuck out because Oakland lost. I tell the staff all the time, what happens in the rectangle, we have no control over. We weren't one bit disappointed, not a bit. We were actually energized. That's what I didn't want characterized, that we were disappointed. We weren't." http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/06/horizon-tourneys-success-ou-udm-shoulders/98805574/
I have to agree with LeCrone. It doesn't seem quiet in the arena, the games have been exciting and I, myself, have not been disappointed. I think it just makes you guys feel better to poo poo what has become an exciting and entertaining tournament. If you guys want to sit at home, complain all you want about this tournament. You are the ones missing out. I have enjoyed this tournament immensely. You guys really are missing out. Downtown Detroit is a whole lot more entertaining then I would have imagined. Haven't seen any sign of a slum or crime problems.

Barring a 16-seed play-in game (and even then, maybe), the HL representative is going to get murdered in their first game of the NCAA's. There's your crime problem.

That may be true but if so, then Valpo, Oakland or Green Bay would also be killed. I'm guessing NKU will win the title.  I don't doubt they will be a 14 or 15 seed, but they are a worthy representative.  If they win they will be 24-10.  They beat everyone accept Oakland.We lost games to Oakland by 12 and 11 points.  They lost to Oakland by 11 and 9 points.  They lost to us at Valpo, with Alec, by 7 points.  Again, if they win, then they will have won 9 of 10 games played since losing to Valpo.  They have some very good young players and in any event will be a force next year in an improving Horizon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

NKU has certainly brought more to the conference at this stage than I envisioned in my wildest dreams, for that I am grateful.  They are the best representative that we can hope for at this point, but I don't know that it makes them worthy...
Quote from: vu72 on March 07, 2017, 08:26:32 AMI don't doubt they will be a 14 or 15 seed
I seriously doubt they get a 14 seed, and even if they do I don't know how much difference it will make .
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUOR63

Mike and Mike were talking about the Horizon League and Monmouth's conference calling it almost criminal that conferences render the entire season meaningless by way of a blatant money grab.  This lack of ethics by the conference/NCAA is appalling when you consider that they are the authoritative figure on ethics and are able to rule a player out for the season based on their own moral judgment.

elephtheria47

Do we hope Milwaukee wins tonight so they get a play in game and have a chance to "win an NCAA tournament" game and a payout??

valpopal

This is the nation's impression of the Horizon League tournament, what LeCrone described as an exciting and energized environment.  ???

[tweet]838905785295978501[/tweet]

[tweet]838905891952918530[/tweet]

VU2624

Quote from: VUOR63 on March 07, 2017, 10:08:47 AMMike and Mike were talking about the Horizon League and Monmouth's conference calling it almost criminal that conferences render the entire season meaningless by way of a blatant money grab.  This lack of ethics by the conference/NCAA is appalling when you consider that they are the authoritative figure on ethics and are able to rule a player out for the season based on their own moral judgment.

and those on this board can continue a trail of "woe is us" without knowing the full scope of the story.

valpopal

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 07, 2017, 11:09:57 AM

QuoteThis is the nation's impression of the Horizon League tournament, what LeCrone described as an exciting and energized environment.

If you makes you feel any better most of the nation probably isn't thinking about us. We'll also probably be referred to more as the conference Butler used to be in this month anyway.

On the other hand, if Milwaukee wins (which I hope since the HL might get some more money from a play-in game), the Horizon League will be known as the conference that sent to the NCAA the team with the most losses ever in the tournament.

Valpo89

I love how the big black curtains add to the "excitement" of the tournament.
"Pay no attention to the man behind ... uh, the empty seats behind the curtains."

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on March 07, 2017, 11:29:45 AMOn the other hand, if Milwaukee wins (which I hope since the HL might get some more money from a play-in game), the Horizon League will be known as the conference that sent to the NCAA the team with the most losses ever in the tournament.
If NKU wins (my preference) LeCrone will stress his tireless efforts to bring them into the Horizon. If UWM wins he will figure out some other way to promote his leadership accomplishments and brag up the equity of the new format.

We need to discontinue his services. I do not want to hear this man try to take any credit for the now almost inevitable HL 17-18 RPI improvements.

yayphoenixyay

Per ESPNs Jeff Goodman, the Horizon Semi-final was the last game for Jerry Slocum, as he has officially stepped down and retired at YSU.