• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017-18 VU Schedule

Started by justducky, March 07, 2017, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 03, 2017, 07:30:13 AMGetting a game against a team like NMSU is what I was getting at by being patient. From a basketball standpoint, NMSU is a lot like Valpo - a good team that can have scheduling challenges.

I hear you loud and clear and support the patient scheduling strategy wholeheartedly. I was just submitting this as a potential opportunity for discussion since it would be a quality mid major school who would be in our area and may be looking for a solid connecting game and\or to start up a series.

valporun

I'm not sure this game would be wise, at least this season, as it would mean something like 3 games in 4 days very quickly into a season of so many new players on the floor together? I would love to see us play NMSU as well, but not this quickly into a season, in terms of cramming so many games together in the first week of the season.

VUGrad1314

Your point is well-taken. This year's Crusaders may not be ready for 3 games in 4 days all against strong competition. That said,you learn and grow more by taking on tougher competition, even if the results don't show right away, and this schedule could use another quality home game. Also, I really don't believe that a game against New Mexico State is unwinnable based on this Valpo team's talent level. Of course, talent means nothing if you haven't jelled or learned to maximize the team's abilities because you don't know how to play together.

Tough call, but maybe  I'm just being hyper-sensitive to the need to schedule up for the MVC, and overly fearful that we won't be well-received unless our schedule is super strong. I've seen some of the flack schools like Evansville take from rival fans when it comes to scheduling;and I don't want that to ever happen to VU. Fair or not I think a great number of fans will judge us by our ability to "replace" Wichita State because a lot of the conference's future depends on that. Maybe, though, it is better to focus on adjusting to learning to play against and beating our in-conference competition rather than risking the possibility of the team hitting the wall before they ever play a conference game.

Perhaps this is the kind of game and situation next year's team can and should undertake.We'll be more experienced and hopefully deeper and more talented. I do expect a stronger schedule next year (not that this one is bad). How strong depends on how we do and who we get I suppose. Though I personally come from the school that thinks you should schedule as tough as you realistically can, but I can see where some pragmatism could come into play and be beneficial. Just don't let those calculations lead you to gorge on too many cupcakes ala SIU. Unfortunately this specific opportunity won't be available next year, but perhaps a comparable or better one will be. When that time and opportunity comes, I sincerely hope Valpo seizes it. I'm very bullish on the program's present and future, next year (2018-2019) especially.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 03, 2017, 09:36:19 AM
Your point is well-taken. This year's Crusaders may not be ready for 3 games in 4 days all against strong competition. That said,you learn and grow more by taking on tougher competition, even if the results don't show right away, and this schedule could use another quality home game. Also, I really don't believe that a game against New Mexico State is unwinnable based on this Valpo team's talent level. Of course, talent means nothing if you haven't jelled or learned to maximize the team's abilities because you don't know how to play together.

Tough call, but maybe  I'm just being hyper-sensitive to the need to schedule up for the MVC, and overly fearful that we won't be well-received unless our schedule is super strong. I've seen some of the flack schools like Evansville take from rival fans when it comes to scheduling;and I don't want that to ever happen to VU. Fair or not I think a great number of fans will judge us by our ability to "replace" Wichita State because a lot of the conference's future depends on that. Maybe, though, it is better to focus on adjusting to learning to play against and beating our in-conference competition rather than risking the possibility of the team hitting the wall before they ever play a conference game.

Perhaps this is the kind of game and situation next year's team can and should undertake.We'll be more experienced and hopefully deeper and more talented. I do expect a stronger schedule next year (not that this one is bad). How strong depends on how we do and who we get I suppose. Though I personally come from the school that thinks you should schedule as tough as you realistically can, but I can see where some pragmatism could come into play and be beneficial. Just don't let those calculations lead you to gorge on too many cupcakes ala SIU. Unfortunately this specific opportunity won't be available next year, but perhaps a comparable or better one will be. When that time and opportunity comes, I sincerely hope Valpo seizes it. I'm very bullish on the program's present and future, next year (2018-2019) especially.

I understand your comment and fully agree that next year will be challenging as the guys learn to play together.  At the same time the core of the team has been with Coach Lottich for a minimum of one season either as active players or red-shirt players who have practiced under his guidance.  Those guys include Max, Tevonn, J, Derrik, Joe, Bakari, John Kiser and Micah. That's 8 guys including two four year guys. Add in two guys who have also had a year of JC ball or international experience and you are down to only two true freshman. It may go smoother than you might think.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

I think Belmont  will provide a good litmus test for which side of this argument is more correct. Their nonconference slate is EXTREMELY tough and we all know how Charmin-soft their conference schedule is. If Belmont does well in the nonconference but falter in conference then there is such a thing as too much too early in the year. If not and they sail through the OVC and get at-large consideration then we know what we need to do going forward. It's not a perfect test because our conference is much stronger but I think it will still provide instructive data for us to use as a guide for future scheduling. Here's a link to their schedule:

http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/schedule

I would love to see VU schedule like this consistently especially when they think it's a "go for it" year.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 04, 2017, 02:01:42 AMTheir nonconference slate is EXTREMELY tough and we all know how Charmin-soft their conference schedule is.

Belmont's non-conf schedule has a possible three HL teams on it. It can't be all that tough.  :-[

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 04, 2017, 02:01:42 AM
I think Belmont  will provide a good litmus test for which side of this argument is more correct. Their nonconference slate is EXTREMELY tough and we all know how Charmin-soft their conference schedule is. If Belmont does well in the nonconference but falter in conference then there is such a thing as too much too early in the year. If not and they sail through the OVC and get at-large consideration then we know what we need to do going forward. It's not a perfect test because our conference is much stronger but I think it will still provide instructive data for us to use as a guide for future scheduling. Here's a link to their schedule:

http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/schedule

I would love to see VU schedule like this consistently especially when they think it's a "go for it" year.

I don't think Valpo wants to schedule like Belmont does each and every year, or they already would have.  Belmont has 4 games against power conference teams, and 2 games against Conf. USA contenders, and 5 of those 6 games are on the road.  Belmont has always scheduled like this, and has never gotten higher than an 11 seed and has never been an at large team.  It's not a bad way to schedule for the short term if Valpo is able to take advantage of it and go to a couple of Sweet 16's in close proximity and builds its resume in the crapshoot that is the NCAA tournament.  Otherwise you wind up like Belmont, who's been banging its head on this wall since they became a D1 program.  Belmont's a good program, and has been to the tourney 7 of the last 16 years, but they've never won a game in the tourney, so they continue to struggle getting bigger-name programs to come play at their gym (which I think is what every smaller school eventually wants).

VUGrad1314

I think a big problem with Belmont's issues with seeding is the conference in which they play though.The OVC and the ASUN aren't exactly basketball hotbeds and playing a full slate like that really hurts your metrics. If Belmont were in a stronger conference like the MVC they wouldn't have to be this extreme in the nonconference. Unfortunately, for teams lower than the AAC\A10\MWC tier, it's getting to the point where we may have to schedule like that to get any attention from the committee.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 04, 2017, 04:40:41 PM
I think a big problem with Belmont's issues with seeding is the conference in which they play though.The OVC and the ASUN aren't exactly basketball hotbeds and playing a full slate like that really hurts your metrics. If Belmont were in a stronger conference like the MVC they wouldn't have to be this extreme in the nonconference. Unfortunately, for teams lower than the AAC\A10\MWC tier, it's getting to the point where we may have to schedule like that to get any attention from the committee.

Agree.  The strength of the MVC is evident by having 4 teams included in College Sports Madness Top 144 ( http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews.  Very impressive.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 04, 2017, 08:21:38 PMAgree.  The strength of the MVC is evident by having 4 teams included in College Sports Madness Top 144 ( http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews.  Very impressive.
Wow!    :o

If these Madness predictions are accurate then how low will the MVC fall? Will we have to send a MVC all-star team to the NCAA to be competitive?  ::)

VUGrad1314

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 04, 2017, 08:21:38 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 04, 2017, 04:40:41 PMI think a big problem with Belmont's issues with seeding is the conference in which they play though.The OVC and the ASUN aren't exactly basketball hotbeds and playing a full slate like that really hurts your metrics. If Belmont were in a stronger conference like the MVC they wouldn't have to be this extreme in the nonconference. Unfortunately, for teams lower than the AAC\A10\MWC tier, it's getting to the point where we may have to schedule like that to get any attention from the committee.
Agree.  The strength of the MVC is evident by having 4 teams included in College Sports Madness Top 144 ( http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews.  Very impressive.

Quote from: justducky on August 04, 2017, 08:53:04 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on August 04, 2017, 08:21:38 PMAgree.  The strength of the MVC is evident by having 4 teams included in College Sports Madness Top 144 ( http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews.  Very impressive.
Wow!    :o If these Madness predictions are accurate then how low will the MVC fall? Will we have to send a MVC all-star team to the NCAA to be competitive?  ::)

Same number as the WCC which did get an at-large bid this past year (St Mary's)

underdawg

Cupcake eaters?:lol: You'll get an especially warm welcome to Carbondale this year ;)

bbtds

Quote from: underdawg on August 04, 2017, 09:34:45 PM
Cupcake eaters?:lol: You'll get an especially warm welcome to Carbondale this year ;)

I wonder what Cardiac Cardinal, Jim Hart, would have thought of that non-conf basketball schedule. Benton Rangers' famous Rich Herrin?

underdawg

No matter how many cupcakes we eat, I think we're going to be pretty damn good this year--I haven't truly said that for 7-8 years. I think everyone in the Valley will be surprised at what SIU puts on the floor in 2017-18. That being said, it's going to be a Dawg fight between 4-5 teams for the title--believe me. Everyone is pushing for MSU and Loyola to be co-favorites but guess what? SIU swept both teams last season (5-0)--Loyola we beat three times in a row (once in the MVC Tourney)

a3uge

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 04, 2017, 08:21:38 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 04, 2017, 04:40:41 PM

At least a strong pool of coaches - Drake also had a coach that didn't win a single game in February.

VU2014

Just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if Valpo will play Flagler College next season or sometime the next few years. Coach Warner was on staff last season and he became the head coach of Flalger a D2 school. Valpo always plays a D2 at home as a "tune-up" game. I could see us eventually playing them.

Also has Valpo ever played Greg Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan? I know Indiana Wesleyan has been a NAIA D2 powerhouse under Tonagel. That would be an interesting matchup just because of the Tonagel connection. Valpo should absolutely crush them but it would be a game vs a D2 school that would be mildly compelling.

M

Flagler makes sense....I wonder if there are hard feelings between Tonagel and VU athletic department after he didn't get an interview.

VU2014

Quote from: M on August 18, 2017, 11:30:20 AM....I wonder if there are hard feelings between Tonagel and VU athletic department after he didn't get an interview.

Good point. I forgot about that. I was a little surprised he didn't get a interview either but I wasn't surprised he didn't get hired.

I've heard many sports media folks and members of the basketball community rave about Tonagel's Basketball acumen & coaching abilities but there is a huge step up from the NAIA D2 level to D1. I would absolutely love for Tonagel to become an assistant at Valpo one day and then if he shows the ability to recruit then I think he'd be an obvious candidate for a interview for the future Head Coach job, if the position came up down the road. If there is any bad blood I hope it gets patched up.

Mark LaBarbera did a interview after Coach Lottich was hired and he mentioned how the best & most consistent Mid-Major Programs hire from within generally (ex: Butler). We have a very well respected and great coaching staff. Luke Gore is a stud Big Man coach & is elder statesman of Valpo Basketball. I'm a huge fan of Coach Rags and I've heard great thing about Coach Dildy.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on August 18, 2017, 10:43:38 AMAlso has Valpo ever played Greg Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan? I know Indiana Wesleyan has been a NAIA D2 powerhouse under Tonagel. That would be an interesting matchup just because of the Tonagel connection. Valpo should absolutely crush them but it would be a game vs a D2 school that would be mildly compelling.

Must read articles about what Greg Tonagel is doing at IWU
IWU basketball embracing 'high expectations'

I was not someone who thought that Greg should have been our head coach.  The COACHING gap between NAIA and D1 is pretty large when talking about Valpo's expectations at THIS level, but I believe that what Greg is doing and embracing now at IWU could bode well for him if he wants to move up in the future to the NCAA D1 level. Quite frankly, he is probably doing pretty well for himself at IWU without the pressure of a D1 job, in an atmosphere that I believe he really enjoys.

IWU Men's Basketball Adds KANSAS JAYHAWK Transfer Evan Maxwell Yes, THAT Kansas.

Evan Maxwell is an athletic 6'10" Big Man who transferred to Kansas from Liberty University.  He redshirted his last year at Kansas and will be a Junior at IWU. Versus Valpo, he would be the best big man on the floor. This coming season, the Wildcats have recruited a pair of Indiana All-Stars.  Yes, that is correct, I said 2 2017 Indiana All-Stars (Connersville's Grant Smith and Warsaw's Kyle Mangas) to go along with Evan Maxwell. On paper, it would probably rank as one of the better 2017 recruiting classes this year in Indiana College Basketball regardless of affiliation or division.

I believe that IWU could hang with most decent D1 mid-majors.  They will be a dominant force in the NAIA, division 2 or division 1, makes no difference. I seriously doubt that Valpo would "crush" them.  I am sure most of you remember the loss to Bethel starting the 97-98 Sweet-Sixteen season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Former Valpo recruit and Bethel star (and current Bethel head coach) Ryne Lightfoot explains why NAIA can be the best choice for players being recruited by D-1 schools:

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2013/03/25/insights-player-d1-level/

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on August 18, 2017, 01:07:40 PM
Quote from: M on August 18, 2017, 11:30:20 AM....I wonder if there are hard feelings between Tonagel and VU athletic department after he didn't get an interview.

Good point. I forgot about that. I was a little surprised he didn't get a interview either but I wasn't surprised he didn't get hired.

I've heard many sports media folks and members of the basketball community rave about Tonagel's Basketball acumen & coaching abilities but there is a huge step up from the NAIA D2 level to D1. I would absolutely love for Tonagel to become an assistant at Valpo one day and then if he shows the ability to recruit then I think he'd be an obvious candidate for a interview for the future Head Coach job, if the position came up down the road. If there is any bad blood I hope it gets patched up.

Mark LaBarbera did a interview after Coach Lottich was hired and he mentioned how the best & most consistent Mid-Major Programs hire from within generally (ex: Butler). We have a very well respected and great coaching staff. Luke Gore is a stud Big Man coach & is elder statesman of Valpo Basketball. I'm a huge fan of Coach Rags and I've heard great thing about Coach Dildy.

Getting the kid out of Kansas (not sure why he was there--a 2 star coming out of high school) and two Indiana All Stars, would indicate that he can recruit.  His record at the NAIA level is extremely good.  I'm pretty sure the basket is the same height in D1 and the ball is still round.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on August 19, 2017, 12:03:14 PM
I believe that IWU could hang with most decent D1 mid-majors.  They will be a dominant force in the NAIA, division 2 or division 1, makes no difference. I seriously doubt that Valpo would "crush" them.  I am sure most of you remember the loss to Bethel starting the 97-98 Sweet-Sixteen season.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice team and well coached but that roster would finish dead last in the MVC. I've heard Mangas is pretty good player but he'd still only be a freshman. They don't have the same caliber of athletes does but its possible because anyone can beat anyone on the right day. Just last year our guys didn't take a D2 Trinity seriously and it was way too close for comfort. They weren't amped up or excited to play & it showed, then Valpo blew them up out-scored Trinity 53-30 in the second half coach lit a fire under their @$$ at half time.

If the players took the game seriously & came into the game with energy it wouldn't be close. IWU would need to play the game of their lives & Valpo would need to play the worst game of its life and come into the game with zero energy, imo.

I looked it up and I guess we have played IWU before back during the 2007-2008 season and beat them 93-46.
http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/280022674

Quote from: FWalum on August 19, 2017, 12:03:14 PM
I was not someone who thought that Greg should have been our head coach.  The COACHING gap between NAIA and D1 is pretty large when talking about Valpo's expectations at THIS level, but I believe that what Greg is doing and embracing now at IWU could bode well for him if he wants to move up in the future to the NCAA D1 level. Quite frankly, he is probably doing pretty well for himself at IWU without the pressure of a D1 job, in an atmosphere that I believe he really enjoys.

Coaching is coaching. There have been guys who have successfully made that jump in the past. Example: Linc Darner made the jump from Florida Southern College. Tonagel is more then capable at the D1 level with the X's & O's and development from what I've heard. He was also mentored by Homer.

Maybe he's happy at that level but apparently he wasn't happy about not being considered for the Valpo job and suggest aspirations jumping to the D1 level one day. He'll get an opportunity someday to get a D1 Head Coaching job.

"Homer Drew, who didn't return a text message seeking comment, lobbied for Tonagel to get serious consideration, according to multiple sources. So, did Bryce Drew, according to sources.
LaPorte boys basketball coach Joe Otis, a former VU assistant, wrote a letter of recommendation.
According to several sources, Tonagel turned down an offer to be Lottich's assistant.
Tonagel wouldn't confirm that, but he admitted he is "just wired to be a head coach." He did turn down an offer to return with Bryce in 2011 because the timing wasn't right."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0424-20160423-column.html

wh

I don't recall ever hearing Greg's name come up as a serious candidate for a head coaching vacancy anywhere in D-1. Either no one in D-1 feels he's a viable head coaching candidate, or he has been invited to interview and declined. Add in his apparent unwillingness to work his way up through the assistant ranks, and he's pretty well pigeonholed in NAIA anyway you look at it.

As for the Valpo vacancy, selecting an outsider with no D-1 coaching experience over a highly respected and capable assistant coach, of a team many predicted to make the NCAA tourney no less, would be a huge roll of the dice for any AD, especially one still living a nightmare from a similar decision he made a few years ago on the women's side.

zvillehaze

Welcome back, wh!  Hope you summer trip was good!   :thumbsup: