• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Relax, Grizz...now you have your league all to yourself.

talksalot

Hey Grizz... while you're trolling... How's the King's Health?   I know he had a scare a few month ago... hope he's doing ok now...

a3uge

Quote from: Grizz on October 20, 2017, 03:34:56 PM
I'm sorry, I can't help myself.  You guys are upset at Marshall yet Valpo fan after Valpo fan have ripped the Horizon league after leaving. Very Interesting. And the comments about Oakland and the post season, yes we were 0=2 as a 1 seed and a 2 seed. If I remember Valpo was 0-2 as a 1 seed and a 2 seed the last two years. In fact if you really look at it, Valpo won 5 out of 6 championships and only went to the NCAA tourney twice. How do any of you feel good about tearing into Oakland when u have the exact same record. Plus, your two NCAA trips you won the tournament at home. Didn't you lose to a ten seed.  Now, really, I'm not ripping you, I'm asking how you can make those statements when your team did no better.  Does it make you feel better to say that stuff.
Remember when you equated beating a woman with underage drinking from someone that can legally drink in his home country? Good times.

VUGrad1314

For any shortcomings Doug Elgin may have as a leader, he is MILES ahead of Jon LeCrone in that department. The sporting pedigree of the HL can't hold a candle to that of the MVC. Forget trying to catch the Missouri Valley I would be more concerned by getting passed up by the Ohio Valley or caught by the Summit. The HL is at best a low-level mid-major league now and is dangerously close to falling into low-major status.and it's due in large part to its all-talk no action leadership. At least the MVC isn't petty enough to file suit when its best member leaves while simultaneously shooting itself in the foot by adding a dreg program like IUPUI which one could argue undermines the case being adjudicated.

bbtds

Quote from: Grizz on October 20, 2017, 03:34:56 PM
I'm sorry, I can't help myself.  You guys are upset at Marshall yet Valpo fan after Valpo fan have ripped the Horizon league after leaving. Very Interesting. And the comments about Oakland and the post season, yes we were 0=2 as a 1 seed and a 2 seed. If I remember Valpo was 0-2 as a 1 seed and a 2 seed the last two years. In fact if you really look at it, Valpo won 5 out of 6 championships and only went to the NCAA tourney twice. How do any of you feel good about tearing into Oakland when u have the exact same record. Plus, your two NCAA trips you won the tournament at home. Didn't you lose to a ten seed.  Now, really, I'm not ripping you, I'm asking how you can make those statements when your team did no better.  Does it make you feel better to say that stuff.

You're making a huge leap there. Just because Irishdawg, who is a Butler fan, posts a story about something Greg Marshall said you jump to the conclusion that all Valpo posters are upset at Marshall for saying what he did? Really?!!!

I agree with what Marshall said for the most part. It is a lot more exciting to play in places such as Orlando, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and Cincinnati than playing in Peoria, Cedar Falls, Carbondale and Valpo. That is a true reality of playing in the AAC instead of the MVC. That doesn't change the fact that the current MVC is a much better conference than the current Horizon League. Valpo did lay an egg in the HL tournament this past year but Valpo did it without their best, and now NBA player, while Oakland did the same WITH their best players.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on October 21, 2017, 02:35:05 PMValpo did lay an egg in the HL tournament this past year but Valpo did it without their best, and now NBA player, while Oakland did the same WITH their best players.

The egg was laid without Alec OR Jabril.  Nonetheless, it was still an egg.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on October 20, 2017, 11:40:11 AM
Wow. Kind of a dick move from Greg Marshall... It's the AAC, not the ACC. You can get a great steak anywhere.
https://twitter.com/DrMattSmithPT/status/921335002486530049

Quote from: bbtds on October 21, 2017, 02:35:05 PM

You're making a huge leap there. Just because Irishdawg, who is a Butler fan, posts a story about something Greg Marshall said you jump to the conclusion that all Valpo posters are upset at Marshall for saying what he did? Really?!!!

VU2014

I mentioned the Gregg comments. I'm totally cool with WSU moving to another conference (VU was the beneficiary of their move anyways). WSU is doing what they thought is best for their situation.

I thought it was a dick move of the Coach (not the fans) to take a parting shot at communities where his former conference-mates played in. But where the heck is Grizz making the connection to Oakland here?  ???

Grizz takes everything as a slight to OU. Its not like Valpo fans don't know we've haven't had the success we wanted at the last 2 MCM. 15-16 we were cold in the semis and GB was hot and we lost to a team we should beat. 16-17 we had no Peters, no jubril and Shane was sick/hurt (the expectations were lowered). I think most of us have moved on. Oakland is one scarred & insecure fan-base to think most Valpo fans are even thinking about them right now.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on October 21, 2017, 05:12:15 PM
I mentioned the Gregg comments. I'm totally cool with WSU moving to another conference (VU was the beneficiary of their move anyways). WSU is doing what they thought is best for their situation.

I thought it was a dick move of the Coach (not the fans) to take a parting shot at communities where his former conference-mates played in. But where the heck is Grizz making the connection to Oakland here?  ???

Grizz takes everything as a slight to OU. Its not like Valpo fans don't know we've haven't had the success we wanted at the last 2 MCM. 15-16 we were cold in the semis and GB was hot and we lost to a team we should beat. 16-17 we had no Peters, no jubril and Shane was sick/hurt (the expectations were lowered). I think most of us have moved on. Oakland is one scarred & insecure fan-base to think most Valpo fans are even thinking about them right now.

Well said.  Valpo may have moved on to greener pastures, but coaches/fans are classy enough to not take shots at the Horizon League on their way out.  Oakland fans are just jealous of Valpo's dominance of the Horizon that led to getting the invite to the MVC.  All Oakland fans have to hang onto is their 2-game win streak over Valpo ... hope they enjoy that while they're languishing in the Horizon.

VU2014

Wow. Indiana State beat Illinois in its private scrimmage yesterday. The score was 79-77. Illinois isn't expected to be very good this season but their still a Big 10 team. It's only a scrimmage but still interesting.

I pegged Indiana State for 8th in the league. Maybe I should reconsider them finishing higher.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/922467416923344896
https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/922468779476553728

VU2014

Not good news for Oakland. Knowing the NCAA they won't rule on the appeal till the last few games of the season. If there was ever a year for this to happen it would be this year for them because they have enough senior talent to cover for him.
https://twitter.com/TonyPaul1984/status/922903069888724992

VULB#62

4 games???????????  And Jubril got how many for one paper?

valpo64

Four games for what?  What is a grade issue?  It is kind of funny that the season hasn't even started and already we are hearing of problems within the Oakland program.  Is it just me or does it seem that they have a problem of one kind or another almost every year?

vu72

An "A" in African Studies?  What could be wrong with that?   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

A really interesting interview with Valparaiso native Roger Harden talking about the history of how shoe companies became intertwined with College Basketball and the NCAA. I remember talking with a Valparaiso native who said Roger was Bryce Drew before Bryce Drew was Bryce Drew, but Bryce became a bigger local star/hero because he stayed home to play his college ball at Valpo and went on to coach here. It's a really insightful interview.

https://oscarcombs.com/2017/10/podcats-episode-11-oscar-and-roger-harden-on-shoe-companies/

zvillehaze

Quote from: VU2014 on October 24, 2017, 11:15:22 PM
A really interesting interview with Valparaiso native Roger Harden talking about the history of how shoe companies became intertwined with College Basketball and the NCAA. I remember talking with a Valparaiso native who said Roger was Bryce Drew before Bryce Drew was Bryce Drew, but Bryce became a bigger local star/hero because he stayed home to play his college ball at Valpo and went on to coach here. It's a really insightful interview.

https://oscarcombs.com/2017/10/podcats-episode-11-oscar-and-roger-harden-on-shoe-companies/

I've long thought that Scott Skiles was more deserving of the 1982 Mr. Basketball award than Roger (although Roger was obviously a great player).  However, two things played into Harden's favor.  First, at that time, ballots for Mr. Basketball were due before the state tournament, thus nullifying the impact of Skiles' performance in leading Plymouth to the state title.  Secondly, Harden was featured prominently on the cover of "Hoosier Basketball" magazine before the season.  In the pre-internet era, the magazine had some level of influence on voters who didn't have the opportunity to see kids in all corners of the state.  I always wondered if Harden's place on the cover had anything to due with the back cover, which featured a full page Converse shoe ad ... the most expensive ad location in the entire magazine. 

oklahomamick

Good thing Brock is back to help cover the 4 game suspension of Hayes. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: zvillehaze on October 25, 2017, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 24, 2017, 11:15:22 PM

I've long thought that Scott Skiles was more deserving of the 1982 Mr. Basketball award than Roger (although Roger was obviously a great player).  However, two things played into Harden's favor.  First, at that time, ballots for Mr. Basketball were due before the state tournament, thus nullifying the impact of Skiles' performance in leading Plymouth to the state title.  Secondly, Harden was featured prominently on the cover of "Hoosier Basketball" magazine before the season.  In the pre-internet era, the magazine had some level of influence on voters who didn't have the opportunity to see kids in all corners of the state.  I always wondered if Harden's place on the cover had anything to due with the back cover, which featured a full page Converse shoe ad ... the most expensive ad location in the entire magazine. 

I've always heard there is a ton of politics that go into Indiana High School Basketball awards, especially geographic politics.

Side Note: I always thought Scott Skiles was a natural fit for College Coaching. He's a true teacher of the game but he's a really intense coach but that coaching style wanes on professional players but would be perfect for College kids. He always seem to burn out at places quickly in the NBA. I'm not sure he'd want to go on the road and recruit kids, especially these days with all the BS college coaches have to deal with, with all the outside influences and transfer poaching these days. I think Scott Skiles would be a coaching star in college basketball, particularly if he landed with a Indiana College where he has history in the State. He'd be able to recruit Indiana really well.

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on October 25, 2017, 10:02:22 AM
Had not seen or heard anything about Brock coming back.  Did you see this in the media somewhere?  I see he is listed on the roster, but none of the preseason articles that I saw mentioned his name.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

This is fun: the Milwaukee Bucks are playing at the UWM Panther arena tonight. They are playing on a throwback floor - the old MECCA floor designed by Robert Indiana.

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=mecca

UWM should play on this court.

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on October 25, 2017, 11:07:51 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on October 25, 2017, 10:02:22 AM
Had not seen or heard anything about Brock coming back.  Did you see this in the media somewhere?  I see he is listed on the roster, but none of the preseason articles that I saw mentioned his name.

Sounds like he may originally have dropped off the team to place total focus on his education. Then a serious injury to Brechting may have changed his mind again. We should try to keep in mind that this young man is already a 23 year old sophomore, with few if any pro dreams who struggled with grades in HS and was granted college eligibility only after an appeal. In that light it seems to all make sense to me.

VU2014

valpospartan

Actually, it just amounts to adding one more small facet to the game experience.  IMO that would be way behind...

Improved (i.e., close) parking
New fold-away seat backs for all the lower sections (except for the Valparaizone)
Moving the access to concessions from the gym floor to the back wall to the corridor (in line with adding beer to the offerings)
Adding fold-away seat back bleachers to the east baseline
Improved PA system
[/quote]

What is the objection to the concession stand being on the gym floor?