• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

The concession stand open to the main floor prevents the installation of permanent bleachers that would match the west baseline of the court and complete the lower bowl.  Aesthetically, that might also help to reduce to some extent the criticism of the ARC looking like a HS gym.  Right now, they bring in some temporary ones every now and again, but at most it adds maybe 50 seats and it really does look like a HS gym when they do that. 

FWalum

I would have to think we will see some sort of seating changes to the lower bowl in the near future. If Dr. Heckler is half as excited as he seemed to be when I talked to him about the MVC move then despite the fact that he also told me donors would be the driving force behind any ARC changes, I think they have to make some ARC improvements rather quickly and seating improvements would seem to be the most logical. Ah... and I guess air conditioning might also be on that list... almost forgot.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

How about the recent lottery winner form the Valpo area kicking in a couple mil for seating changes in the ARC.   Where arerrrr youuu?

VU2014

10 mid-major sleepers you should know for the 2017-18 season
Which mid-majors should you keep an eye on this season?
http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/10-mid-major-sleepers-know-2017-18-season.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Missouri State makes their 10 mid-major "sleepers". I wouldn't even call them a sleeper but I guess for the casual Power Conference fan they're a "sleeper".

Missouri State is going to be a tough matchup for Valpo this season. 3 freshman forwards doesn't sound like favorable matchup defending against Alize Johnson who is the preseason MVC player of the year.

FWalum

I don't know if they would be guarding him, he is not a prototypical 4. He will cause matchup problems because he is a get and go type player much more that Alex was. I would think that Burton may end up guarding him. Here is an interesting article that I have not seen mentioned before.  I never liked having a player start the season with this type of injury, especially if they rely heavily on athleticism. Star Out With Knee Injury
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

It is evident from the article that Alize has a lot of work ahead of him to be taken seriously as an MVC star. He needs a lot of work on his smile.  ;D

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on October 30, 2017, 06:54:05 PMStar Out With Knee Injury

Johnson told the News-Leader he tweaked his knee after he went up for a dunk.

Those dunks make basketball an exciting sport but at what cost? It makes me cringe when a Valpo player should have an easy lay up but instead goes for the dunk and misses the dunk because he tries to entertain the fans with a demonstrative effort.

It reminds me of UDM's Anderson who went for a demonstrative dunk against Valpo on a fast break and because of his winding up for the dunk was caught by Bobby Capobianco and flagrantly fouled. Anderson missed the dunk and Capo was ejected but the momentum of the game was changed. Valpo came back from a 22 point deficit to win by one, I believe. All this was due to the show boating of Anderson on the dunk which he could have easily scored with a lay up.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on October 31, 2017, 05:27:09 AM

Those dunks make basketball an exciting sport but at what cost? It makes me cringe when a Valpo player should have an easy lay up but instead goes for the dunk and misses the dunk because he tries to entertain the fans with a demonstrative effort.

Cover your eyes when you watch Markus Golder this year. From the highlights in JUCO he's not afraid throw down some in game dunks. I wondering how ready Markus is this season. He shot the ball from 3 pretty well in JUCO. It will be interesting to see how he fits into the mix this season.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteIt makes me cringe when a Valpo player should have an easy lay up but instead goes for the dunk and misses the dunk because he tries to entertain the fans with a demonstrative effort.

The numbers don't back this up. The dunk is the absolute highest-percentage shot in basketball (assuming you can dunk it). Statistically, you're far more likely to miss a layup. I mean, how often did we see Vashil miss a bunny when it would have been far easier for him to dunk it?

(Also, guys get injured in all kinds of ways. Going up for a rebound in traffic and coming down on another player's foot is one of the most common. Should our guys not try to rebound now?)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on October 31, 2017, 09:36:02 AM
Quote from: bbtds on October 31, 2017, 05:27:09 AM

Cover your eyes when you watch Markus Golder this year. From the highlights in JUCO he's not afraid throw down some in game dunks. I wondering how ready Markus is this season. He shot the ball from 3 pretty well in JUCO. It will be interesting to see how he fits into the mix this season.

Hate to use catch phrases, but he's a dark horse for us.  Means the difference between (4) athletes on the floor or (3).  In the HL he would've been a must (guard heavier league), in the MVC that's tbd.

VU2014

It sounds likely local NWI (Crown Point) product Sasha Stefanovic (former Valpo recruit) will be Red-Shirted his true freshman year at Purdue according to Purdue beat-reporter Nathan Baird.

Start: (3:25-5:08) http://on.jconline.com/2iRjlGG

In the video he says it can benefit players down the road if they potentially want to transfer and they get another year of physical growth.  If Sasha were to Red-Shirt he'd likely be fighting for minutes on the depth chart next year as well at the SG position with Ryan Cline would be SR, Nojel Eastern SO., & their 2018 commitment Eric Hunter, Jr.

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/blogs/nathan-baird/2017/10/11/purdue-basketball-2017-18-preseason-capsules/747990001/

VULB#62

<iframe width="895" height="503" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/krD4hdGvGHM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2017, 10:16:06 AM
It sounds likely local NWI (Crown Point) product Sasha Stefanovic (former Valpo recruit) will be Red-Shirted his true freshman year at Purdue according to Purdue beat-reporter Nathan Baird.

Start: (3:25-5:08) http://on.jconline.com/2iRjlGG

In the video he says it can benefit players down the road if they potentially want to transfer and they get another year of physical growth.  If Sasha were to Red-Shirt he'd likely be fighting for minutes on the depth chart next year as well at the SG position with Ryan Cline would be SR, Nojel Eastern SO., & their 2018 commitment Eric Hunter, Jr.

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/blogs/nathan-baird/2017/10/11/purdue-basketball-2017-18-preseason-capsules/747990001/

Well, redshirting does set up a potential grad-transfer situation (4 years down the road, if the rule still exists).  However, it totally screws him if he realizes after this season, or next, or the next, that he doesn't want to be there.  If he decides to transfer to another DI at that point, he'll not only sit a year, but lose a year under the "4 in 5" rule. 

VU2014

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 02, 2017, 11:11:44 AM
Well, redshirting does set up a potential grad-transfer situation (4 years down the road, if the rule still exists).  However, it totally screws him if he realizes after this season, or next, or the next, that he doesn't want to be there.  If he decides to transfer to another DI at that point, he'll not only sit a year, but lose a year under the "4 in 5" rule.

That's one of the transfer rules that should be changed. If they red-shirt one year due to a non-injury they should let kids transfer immediately or allow them the extra year of eligibility. That would be a rational transfer change instead of the rumored blanket across the board transfer immediately change the idiots in the NCAA are supposedly considering.

I could actually see Sasha sticking it out at Purdue regardless of minutes his first few years. It was the worst kept recruiting secret in NWI about how badly he wanted a offer from Purdue last year. He was apparently very close to committing to Valpo before Purdue jumped in last second and offered. Objectively I thought Valpo was the better Basketball fit in terms of being able to get early playing time & development as opposed to a Purdue but somethings are more important than others to certain kids. Best of luck to him in West Lafayette, I hope he gets to see some minutes early on in his career because he's too good of a player to be wasted on any teams bench.

talksalot

Some Pearl Wisdoms:   "I think we were rushed and discombobulated. It was a good exhibition and it was good exposure for us. It showed a lot of our weaknesses."

As a team, the Barry Bucs made 16 3-pointers, including eight make by Sawyer Glick  (OK, one of my new top-10 basketball names of all time)

The Tigers held a 41-38 lead heading into halftime and led by the same margin at 84-81 in the final seconds. However, a three by Glick at the buzzer went through the net and forced the game into overtime.

In the extra period, Auburn was outscored 16-11 and fell by a final score of 100-95.

VU2014

Coach Ragland's alma mater Southern Indiana upsets Coach Dildy's alma mater EIU today in a exhibition. I'm sure there will be some humble bragging tomorrow morning at work.
https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/927769931504128000

Side Note: I think USI is going to join the Horizon League at some point in the relatively near future. There have been rumblings that their admin wants to become the next NKU and make the jump from D2. If the HL lost another member or 2 or plans on expanding to 12, I could see USI becoming a potential LeCrone type add in the future.

bbtds

To be honest it's about time some of these P5 players have to sit out games instead of getting by with violation after violation without punishment. It is incredibly unfortunate that it was the "real punishing" FBI that has to do the investigation instead of the "looking the other way" NCAA.

VU2014

valpopal

Three UCLA players arrested in China for theft, causing an international incident and embarrassment for the NCAA. It will be interesting to see what happens in this case.

[size=78%]https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-ucla-china/ucla-basketball-players-arrested-in-china-could-stay-for-months-espn-idUSKBN1D83A9[/size]

bbtds

The NCAA told the UCLA players.................

VU2014

College Basketball needs more coaches like Frank Martin.
https://twitter.com/John_DelBianco/status/928348025734549504

Martin: 'I wasn't going to say no' to Wofford matchup
Frank Martin is kicking himself this week in trying to prepare for Wofford, but he knows agreeing to the matchup was the right thing to do as a "grower of basketball."
By: John Del Bianco
Date: Nov 9, 2017

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/South-Carolina-Gamecocks-head-coach-Frank-Martin-could-not-say-no-to-road-game-with-Wofford--110157572

VULB#62

In reading the article, it turns out that P-5 USC will travel to mid-major Wofford as a favor to open their brand new Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium. Checked out the place on line and it is pretty spectacular -- albeit the seating is for only 3400+.  Wish Valpo had an NFL owner alumnus to foot a bill like that.