• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Wow... the moderators closed the student section thread.  :crazy:

There is no reason to stifle honest conversation...

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3075.0

talksalot

Valpo beat Bradley tonight... and with that, our 10th home court win of the season... for the 8th consecutive year of double-digit wins in the ARC.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on February 17, 2018, 09:14:36 PM

Yeah, what's with that?  ???

wh

Quote from: valpopal on February 18, 2018, 10:11:37 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 17, 2018, 09:14:36 PM

Yeah, what's with that?  ???

I'm wondering that myself. If criticizing the inexcusable lack of student support is now out of bounds, what's next - shutting down threads that criticize the university administration's inexcusable lack of support?

IrishDawg

Quote from: justducky on February 17, 2018, 04:33:55 PM
Quote from: wh on February 17, 2018, 03:24:50 PMI'm thinking about possible starting line-ups next year. Ryan Fazekas is listed at 6-8, 215. Is he a 3,or a 4?  What did he play at Providence?

I watched less than 60 minutes total of Providence ball for those 2 years so I honestly don't remember. No matter because we primarily need a 4 so there he will start. If he or McMillan can give us some solid play as a 3 that could be an enormous bonus but only if Derrik, Jay, Marten and Mileek have progressed enough as 4s and 5s that none can be left for long on the bench.

Best case, everybody improves and Fazekas plays 24-27 minutes split some as a 3 but mainly a 4. Worst case, nobody is much improved and he must play 32 minutes at the 4. Even in my worst case we are a vastly improved basketball team.

He played more of a 3/4 hybrid his freshman year, and more of the 3 his sophomore season.  That was based more on personnel, as Providence plays 3 guys on the wing (and did last year as well) who are 6-6 to 6-8 and athletic the last 2 years.  Fazekas' freshman year however, they didn't play one of those guys in their backcourt, so he did play some 4.  He can probably play either, though I'd see him more as a 4 at Valpo.

valpolaw

What was with the closing of the student section discussion thread? Seems odd but maybe there was a legitimate reason to close it.

Billy Co

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the student section leaders complained to the athletic department or maybe  someone in the athletics department has "thin skin." Odd to say the least.

VUGrad1314

Now they're upset that coach Lottich and the players don't give them a pat on the head for cheering when no less than the AD himself gave them a huge shout out for finally putting up a halfway decent showing for once on Saturday. These guys really need to get over themselves.

https://twitter.com/jnordbrock23/status/965088762790318080

https://twitter.com/ValpoAD/status/965236972414529536

Oh and Paul Oren mentioned them and the coaching staff has mentioned their gratitude to the fanbase numerous times. Are students not part of the fanbase? These guys also need to watch the postgame pressers.

valpopal

In my previous post I noted: "The official overall crowd number was just barely above 3,000 (3,021: down more than 300 from the Illinois State game last week), thanks in part to the good following of Bradley fans. Also, the student section was at least two-thirds empty. All credit to those in attendance and displaying enthusiasm! (And I don't want to hear the reason that some students sit elsewhere: that was true in the past as well.) All season we have heard that the attendance, especially by students, would be there whenever a Saturday night game on television came along. Well, that does not seem true. The students who did not show missed a great game!"

However, now I have second thoughts about giving credit when I hear students complaining about not getting recognition simply for showing up. This seems a product of a generation used to getting trophies merely for participation. The student section should have been full for a Saturday evening game honoring the Hall of Fame inductees and broadcast on television. Instead, you can see the sparsely occupied student section in the following video taken at the peak of the game. As Chevy Chase once said: "Nothing to be proud about, Rusty!"

[tweet]965078215927762945[/tweet]

VUGrad1314

As to the student's point  about the Missouri State game, the games against SIU and Drake (both resounding Valpo victories) occurred over Winter Break with sparse student attendance. I agree that an active engaged fanbase makes a difference and student sections play a role (they did against Bradley) but that goes as much for the fans from the community as it does for the students. EVERYONE has a duty to be proud cheer loud and will the team to victory. Praise for the fanbase as a whole is the same as praise for any subset thereof. We're all fans right? But to focus solely on crowds is asinine. It also happens to be true that Valpo matches up much better with Drake and SIU than with Missouri State. It's everything together (matchup experience  coaching preparedness crowd noise\enthusiasm player confidence momentum luck etc. that determines wins and losses. There is no single factor and they all make a difference.

VULB#62

I think there  is a simple solution. SET EXPECTATIONS Upon going through freshman orientation, students are freaking told that at Valpo they are expected to attend Valpo BB games, expected to psit in the student section and expected to cheer their rear ends off for Valpo. To do this they are expected to learn basic cheers and are also expected to show up for free pizza and t shirts.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 18, 2018, 11:07:26 PM
I think there  is a simple solution. SET EXPECTATIONS Upon going through freshman orientation, students are freaking told that at Valpo they are expected to attend Valpo BB games, expected to psit in the student section and expected to cheer their rear ends off for Valpo. To do this they are expected to learn basic cheers and are also expected to show up for free pizza and t shirts.

I'm going to be really disappointed if there is no headway on this next Fall during freshman orientation or even freshman FOCUS. It should be easy during orientation to do this because the freshman will all be gathered together anyways. Teach them the cheers and lay the ground for building the culture. Get the cheerleaders, Crusaderettes, pep band, Coaches and players together and introduce and indoctrinate them to the fan-base. Make it a fun event and make a strong first impression.

VUGrad1314

I realize that men's basketball is our flagship sport but I think it would be cool if we did this for all athletic teams and set the culture to be that we go to athletic events in general, especially since we're in a conference that is strong across the board. Obviously we're basketball first and that is most important and should receive the most attention, but we now can potentially see nationally ranked competition and multiple NCAA bids many times a year across a multitude of sports and I think it's important that we send the message that we value these programs too and these athletes need their support as well. Sell the Valley and the quality of athletics in general therein to the students. Tell them about the tradition of the conference and of Valpo's own tradition (we're more than JUST a basketball school.) Tell them there's a good chance they'll see many future pros and that no matter which sport they watch they can expect a fun exciting hard-fought high-quality game.

valpopal

Vaparaizone has its own designated page on the Valparaiso University Athletics web site. However, visiting the location, one discovers it is completely empty. What a waste of space! If you want to raise awareness and educate students about fan participation, this is a good place to start!

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on February 18, 2018, 10:24:12 PM(And I don't want to hear the reason that some students sit elsewhere: that was true in the past as well.)
I agree that this shouldn't be used as an excuse, but because there were a couple of empty chairbacks next to my wife and I, our nephew (engineering major) came over and sat with us...  :-X
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 18, 2018, 09:35:14 PM
Now they're upset that coach Lottich and the players don't give them a pat on the head for cheering when no less than the AD himself gave them a huge shout out for finally putting up a halfway decent showing for once on Saturday. These guys really need to get over themselves.

https://twitter.com/jnordbrock23/status/965088762790318080

https://twitter.com/ValpoAD/status/965236972414529536

Oh and Paul Oren mentioned them and the coaching staff has mentioned their gratitude to the fanbase numerous times. Are students not part of the fanbase? These guys also need to watch the postgame pressers.

Coach Gore literally went on their radio show and talked about how important the students were. On the post-game radio show he talks about the students from time to time and thanks the fans.

Wow. Do they need cookie every time show up to the game? I say this as a millennial myself but they are really living up to the millennial stereotype.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/965618132722311168
https://twitter.com/jnordbrock23/status/965618634235277312

He liked and retweeted that tweet. The Coaches follow his twitter account. If they don't feel appreciated I don't know what to tell them. Don't be petty and retweet that. If they have a grievance with the coaches, be men and engage in a civil conversation.

I think there is room for improvement by the Coaches to engage and interact with the students but this is not the way to achieve that goal. This isn't a good look.

Valpo89

Do the students, who get in free to the games, really need to be thanked for their attendance after every game?
Wow.
I was at IU in 1985-89, and I don't recall Bob Knight ever wandering into the Assembly Hall student section to thank us for attending. And we had to pay for tickets.

VUGrad1314

Some leadership... I'll sit in my little corner with my sign and make sure only the opposing coach can hear me and then whine that I'm not being recognized even though my Twitter account is full of non-Valpo content and the most I talk about them is when I bash them for their record even though they're a young and growing team that is playing Great after injuries an academic disqualification and moving up to a much more difficult conference. And I will conduct this bashing completely behind the backs of the people I'm bashing without first speaking to them and giving them a chance to address my concerns. These guys are an embarrassment.

VU2014

Well instead of speaking directly to the coaches they choose to air the dirty laundry on twitter and complain about the coaches.  :crazy: This is a awful look for everyone... It's pretty clear they want affirmation from the coaches.

They chose to not engage with this board to brain storm ideas (but the Athletics Department decided to get rid of that thread  ??? ) and they seem to think it's appropriate to publicly complain with out even reaching out to the coaches. What a mess. "Student Section Leaders" They are young but they should know better to directly speak to people instead of complaining on twitter.

VUGrad1314

They're right. It starts at the top. And that comment cuts both ways. When the leaders don't know what to do and are ineffective in getting the word out it affects the section as a whole. Yes the coaches and athletic department can do better but students have the most impact on other students. There's a lot they could be doing but they aren't yet they choose to blame others. Sad.  The quality of competition sells itself. It's UNI not UMKC It's Indiana State not IUPUI It's Southern Illinois not Southern Utah It's Illinois State not Western Illinois. It's Missouri State not Milwaukee It's Drake not UDM. How do these established mid major brands not motivate students?

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2018, 11:29:53 AM
They chose to not engage with this board to brain storm ideas (but the Athletics Department decided to get rid of that thread  ??? )

Has it been established that the Athletics Department had any influence? Unless I missed it, we have not yet heard from the forum moderators why the student attendance thread has been locked. I saw nothing objectionable in the comments, and closing the conversation does not accomplish anything since the discussion only continues in other threads. I am curious about this. Moderators?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 19, 2018, 11:27:39 AM
Some leadership... I'll sit in my little corner with my sign and make sure only the opposing coach can hear me and then whine that I'm not being recognized even though my Twitter account is full of non-Valpo content and the most I talk about them is when I bash them for their record even though they're a young and growing team that is playing Great after injuries an academic disqualification and moving up to a much more difficult conference. And I will conduct this bashing completely behind the backs of the people I'm bashing without first speaking to them and giving them a chance to address my concerns. These guys are an embarrassment.

Unbelievable lol. Coach Lottich should respond with I'm sorry I don't stroke your sad and fragile egos. These kids wouldn't know leadership if it hit them with a Mack truck. Maybe I'm being too harsh but they are incredibly immature about the situation. They need to put on their big boy pants and actually talk face-to-face with Coach Lottich rather then make back handed comments on twitter. Be part of the solution.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/965635294333689857

4throwfan

Let's not be too quick to be antagonistic toward the guys at Happening Hoops.  It's not their fault that other students aren't interested.

On the other hand, the guys at Happening Hoops should not blame the University, or take that blame public.  The University gives free tickets, a winning tradition, sometimes free food, on-site arena, etc.

Remember, those of us lamenting student attendance are "on the same team".  It doesn't help to bash each other.

Maybe we should simply look forward, and accept that the days of a raucous student section are over.  Creativity and self-entertaining activities are in decline society-wide.  If we accept that changing dynamic, then really, we should simply forget the students, and re-purpose those seats.  Eg., give them to the parents of the kids playing at half-time or singing the national anthem, rather than making the parents pay.  Or maybe give them to any high school student.

In any event, it doesn't help to antagonize the students (like at Happening Hoops) who do care, and who do show up.

M

Is it really caring if they require thanks for being there?

I'm all for ideas and conversation to get that section filled up with our current students or with anyone else cheering on Valpo. I don't think they can just give the high school kids tickets though. That feels like some goofy ncaa rule could be in play there.

Yes, Loyola is really turning the turnstiles with all 2091 fans for their first play team last home game against Valpo.

Valpo89

I've been telling people, you can't fault the kids who actually show up.
I'm glad someone actually cares.
It's the kids sitting in their rooms playing on their phones or video games, or thinking they need to study from 8-10 p.m. on a Saturday night. :)